Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponderer

The media isn't just reporting what medical authorities put out, that is big part of the problem. The media is going around to find doctors that have a belief that is as pessimistic as possible to get soundbites from. Then you have our supposed authorities lying to us like the Surgeon General that claimed masks don't do anything and are not effective... of course the next sentence out of his mouth was we need the masks for the doctors... Well sorry but most people can remember what he said 10 seconds earlier and the only thing you knew for certain was that he was lying. Either the doctors were going to be duped into wearing a mask that meant nothing or the people were being duped into thinking the mask wasn't worth using. So spare me the blind faith in every "medical authority" it is clear that some have agendas which are not based on providing accurate factual information.

Yes, that’s EXACTLY what the media is doing, they’re certainly not being deluged with doctors who want to get the word out that they have colleagues who have been exposed AND CAN’T EVEN GET TESTED.

And wow, have you massively misunderstood the mask thing. Regular masks do nothing if you’re well; they only help trap contagious droplets from sick people. And the shortage of masks for doctors is for N95 grade medical masks, which are far more protective, and are now in critically short supply. Good grief.

Rimmit

Just a FYI - we routinely had respirator patients on non-ICU units way back when - they had started there, but were transferred after the acute phase was over. Granted, an ICU might have more convenient equipment, but it was (and probably still is) possible to treat patients elsewhere in the hospital. It may be a case of teaching young nurses/caregivers old-school procedures.

You can in theory stick a Vent anywhere in the hospital as long as you have power, medical air, oxygen, and suction. You also need a monitor and space for that bed. You also need an RN as an LPN cannot take care of vents. Keep in mind any license restrictions may go out the window in the event of total
Calamity. It is also going to be preferred that any patient with suspected or confirmed COVID be placed in a negative pressure isolation room with an attached ante room. Again in the event of total disaster many restrictions will likely be waived.

Ultimately the main bottleneck will be Ventilators, As nothing else is essential from a support standpoint. IV pumps are plentiful, and unlikely to run out but it could happen. It would be nice to have appropriate staff with a negative pressure isolation room, but when push comes to shove all bets are off.

VaderTron

The most populous countries in the world are China, India, US, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Mexico and Russia. China clamped down hard, the US has medical infrastructure, even if they become overwhelmed, the rest of those countries...

I hope we don't get US-centric again and assume that if our numbers don't go "worst case" that it meant we shouldn't have taken this seriously globally.
I, for one, am fully on board with taking precautions. However, to put out staggering numbers like that you better know what you are talking about and not just be spit-balling. We don't need guesses. I can make a guess like that. If they are trying to scare people into cooperation in view of the large numbers who are ignoring the requests to distance themselves from others I think it's sad on many levels.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I think I've heard more about the 1918 outbreak in the last 2 weeks than in my entire life. Its like everyone forgot about it until now. Wonder if 2120 they'll have forgotten this one?

I was thinking about the Spanish Flu and Walt Disney, who was born in 1901. The Spanish Flu affected young people very hard, and Walt Disney was 17 years old at the time. It turns out that he actually caught the Spanish Flu and survived. See: Ten Famous People Who Survived the 1918 Flu.

Can you imagine how different the world would have been if Walt Disney hadn't survived that crisis. But also imagine all the millions of people that didn't make it in the war or due to the flu, who could have, in the last century, invented things or created movies, books, poems and paintings that we'll never get to see.

I read this amazing article about the Spanish Flu by John M. Barry, who wrote a book The Great Influenza. The article talks about the most important lessons from the 1918 outbreak. It's a very interesting read:

DisneyCane

Since this study is almost a quarter century old, I don't know how much this discovery improved the state of the art.

Also, it is about natural resistance to the virus entering the cells, not an immune response where the immune system attacks the virus. Unless we are prepared to do genetic engineering on humans, this will not lead to a vaccine in the traditional sense. It may lead to ways to prevent infection (and may have lead to things like PREP) but those aren't a 1 shot a year or every few years like a vaccine.

DCBaker

Premium Member

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I don't remember who shared this website but it was a great tool to keep up with the data:

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86

However as of right now you need login credentials to get in.......hopefully its just a glitch?

It works for me. They keep changing the layout. The list of counties is now on the right and they added some more stats. I hope they'll add the number of recovered patients once people start recovering.

fl.jpg

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
When we punch through - It isn't as if 100k are all going to converge on WDW. I'd think it'd be a gradual process. First with limited operating hours and a large contingent of local AP's (due to cabin fever). Gradually resorts would open, crowds would become larger, operating hours would expand. But it would take some time.

Unless of course - Chapek decides to re-open with a "Hard Ticket" event.

disneygeek90

It works for me. They keep changing the layout. The list of counties is now on the right and they added some more stats. I hope they'll add the number of recovered patients once people start recovering.

View attachment 457135
They have a tab now for testing being done by county. This map is awesome. Idk what other states have but they should create something like this.
Capture.PNG

Nubs70

I am surprised by the number of people here still blaming "the media". I know I shouldn't be. A lot of people have been conditioned to have a knee-jerk response to anything and everything. No matter what "the media" is doing, it's doing it wrong. It's not reporting something important. It's over-reporting something trivial. "The media" is always responsible for covering something up or creating a panic sometimes simultaneously.

"The media" is not a monolith. It consists of everything from blogs to Facebook to the nightly news. "The media" includes all political points of view from Breitbart to MSNBC and everything in between. You can't discuss "the media" like it's all one thing. You have to talk about specific media outlets. Give examples.

I find that when most people complain about "the media" covering something incorrectly, they are either speaking in generalities or they don't follow the news source they are discussing. When someone tells me such-and-such paper or network didn't cover a story, it's usually exceptionally easy to find the story that supposedly wasn't covered with a quick Google search. But no one ever tries to disprove their own assumptions.

It should be obvious to everyone that this isn't some creation of "the media". We have to come to terms with our new reality, pull together and defeat this thing. Until then, complaining about the supposed over-reaction of the media sends a dangerous message. That message, unfortunately, was taken to heart by a lot of people who still haven't adopted the recommendations of the CDC, the WHO and the White House.
The media is standing next to the bonfire with a leafblower exclaiming how intense the flames are.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So far everything I've heard says Motrin and the like make it worse.
The BBC is debunking most of those claims.

That said, the WHO is recommending that if you can tolerate acetaminophen, take that over stronger NSAIDs.

Mouse Trap

Bill Gates did a great AMA on Reddit today. Him and his team estimate that within 6-8 weeks any places that are "shut down" (his words for social distancing, minimal public gatherings, etc.) can begin to open back up. He did note a lot of this would hang on an increase in testing. Timeline of late-April for WDW if the rest of the USA complies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom