Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELG13

Disney question...if they are closed when we are booked they just issue the refund automatically correct? That's what I thought I read. We are booked May 9-15 and I don't expect we will make it but I also can't bring myself to go online and cancel it 😂😭.

JusticeDisney

The problem with the 368 number is that they never bother to break down the ages of those that died or whether they were being treated or set aside to die. My understanding is that a large number of the deaths were in people over 80 years olds and that in some hospitals they didn't have enough ventilators so they were having to pick and choose who got one and who was basically pushed to the side to die... when you have a situation like that it is going to make the number of death very dramatic indeed.
First off, it doesn’t matter what ages they were. Dead is dead. I’m sure you would agree if it was one of your loved ones. And secondly, the lack of ventilators contributing to the problem is exactly the situation that we have here in the US, at least as of right now. Look, I have consistently agreed that there is a great deal of overreacting going on in some respects, but to act as if the Coronavirus is really no big deal or is simply akin to the common cold is just plain laughable. And ignorant.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I don't know if this link has been posted before, but this page from John Hopkins has some information about total tests and people monitored in Florida and cases by county:

And obviously this one for the world:

I wish it was more granular and allowed to drill down by city. I live in Volusia county and our sheriff has been posting the total cases and number of monitored people in each city in our county on his private Facebook page. I think that is great. The places that have had most success with their efforts so far, like South Korea and Hong Kong, have been very transparent in where the cases are. In Hong Kong they can zoom in on a map to apartment building, and in South Korea they notify everyone in an area of new cases and the places they have been. Communication is so important.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The Chloroquine movement is picking up steam. Apparently it has successfully treated infected individuals. Let's keep some hope.

21stamps

Disney question...if they are closed when we are booked they just issue the refund automatically correct? That's what I thought I read. We are booked May 9-15 and I don't expect we will make it but I also can't bring myself to go online and cancel it 😂😭.

My parents still haven’t canceled their ‘take the grandkids’ trip for 4/19. Disney is allowing full refunds on cancellations up to 24 hours prior to check in.
Its looking more likely that they will cancel either way, either Disney staying closed, or on their own end not wanting to cause more disruption in the kids’ school and sports... but they’re holding out for now. No harm in that.

VaderTron

Yes.

It was just like it was the previous day, and the day prior, and the day prior...

And since this issue has become a prevalent one, not a single person has reported any illness as a result of being at WDW

What you mean is there has been no report of notoriety that the media has gotten their hands on...yet. I was sick last week. Still coughing. Been staying to myself even in the house. Sleeping separate from my wife and not touching anything I can avoid, and disinfecting what I have to touch. Washing hands all the time.

Today my wife started showing the symptoms.

Look up the phrase "incubation period". Lot's of people in my community are on self-quarantine because they were in contact with someone who tested positive. The test didn't come back positive until days after they were together, but the CDC said they were contagious at the time. We may not know the ramifications of Sunday's WDW trip for another couple of weeks. Until then, everyone who attended voluntarily put a gun to their head and pulled the trigger. We'll see if the chamber was empty or not.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Look up the phrase "incubation period". Lot's of people in my community are on self-quarantine because they were in contact with someone who tested positive. The test didn't come back positive until days after they were together, but the CDC said they were contagious at the time. We may not know the ramifications of Sunday's WDW trip for another couple of weeks. Until then, everyone who attended voluntarily put a gun to their head and pulled the trigger. We'll see if the chamber was empty or not.

Exactly! That's why some countries are finally seeing their peak of cases starting to flatten about 2 weeks after a lockdown. The longer we wait with enforcing stricter measures the longer this will drag out. I wish Florida would shut non-essential businesses and shut the beaches. Seeing the packed beaches and bars is making me nervous.

ifan

Found this interesting:
German study (9 patients) of viral shedding characteristics in confirmed Covid patients. Very high viral load early in illness, approx 1000 times greater than SARS. At DAY 8 of active symptoms, no longer able to detect active virus in samples, only viral RNA. Only viral RNA in feces, never detected active virus.

They're following up now with a 23 person cohort.

Lilofan

We worked for years and years to build our credit, secure a down payment.... worked so hard to get a house to raise our kids in. Apartments here are more expensive than our house. I have no idea what we are going to do if my husband doesn’t get paid for months.
If your company tells your husband not to report for work and stops paying him, technically he can apply and receive unemployment.

The Empress Lilly

For your reading pleasure, this golden classic post.

'What to do when you are diagnosed with a contagious virus? Go to the MK and hug as many people as possible!'

I've never done one these before, because A. I've only been to Disney 3 times and B. I've never had anything eventful enough to tell about. Well, that all changed this May! I had the best, worst trip to date. I also wanted to share because the folks at disney were really great, and I'd like to give them a shout out!
So, the past 2 trips (yes, that's 2 out of 3) we've gone to WDW in May for my birthday. First trip was for my 21st and it was AMAZING. The weather. The cast members. Everything went without a hitch. I guess maybe that set my standards a bit high for the next bday trip. This year I turned 23. I will skip over the first bit since everything went pretty smoothly up until day one brunch at Be Our Guest. BOG is one of my favs, and I was so excited to sit down and eat my croque madam. It was delicious. And it was minutes after I had finished that I started to feel really nauseated :confused: I was just diagnosed with IBS and reflux this year, so I figured maybe it was just that. Nope. Things got worse and worse until I decided to spend some time on the floor of the BOG restrooms (there's a disney first!) Well, little obscure fact: I hadn't vomited in 10 years, and I just couldn't convince myself to get sick in public. I'm weird. I know. So one VERY difficult bus ride back to our room at POFQ to be sick in privacy of my own bathroom (those bathrooms are perfect, you can lean over the toilet while sitting on the edge of the tub!) Maybe a rest will help. Nope. I was in so much pain I cannot describe it. Most pain I have ever experienced in my life. I was devastated I might have to spend my entire vacation in bed, since we were only in the parks for that day and the next. We decided there'd be no way I could go to our dinner reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table or the fireworks dessert party. It would've been my first for both of those :( But, the cast members were SO GREAT about letting us cancel last minute for both of reservations with no cancellation fees. It was a big relief for me while I was sick. The cast members at the front desk were also super helpful when we decided I needed to go the ER or urgent care, providing us with the number to call. Urgent care was pretty great too, picking us up right at the hotel.
My Dr was Dr Levi... "like the pants". That is literally how he introduced himself. You can't make this stuff up! And Dr Levi introduced me to quite possibly the best pills to ever exist. And while they tasted like a mixture of fruit and charcoal, my nausea was gone within 20 minutes. I also got a complimentary birthday pedialite pop :p
Official diagnosis: norovirus.
So I still had some stomach discomfort, but it was worlds better than it had been, so we went back to the hotel and hung out by the pool for a while. That evening I was actually well enough to go back to the parks. I was happier to be there than I had ever been! We spent our time doing as many character meet and greets as possible. That is my favorite thing to do at Disney anyway, and since I didn't feel there were a lot of rides I could handle at that point, it was the best option. We met Ariel, Merida, Cinderella/ Tiana/Elana, etc. Also rode small world since it's a slow ride and another favorite of mine. I ate part of a birthday cake scone, then watched the fireworks for the first time and new Happily Ever After show. It was a really lovely ending for my birthday.
Day 2 I felt 90% back to normal. We spent the day at epcot (meeting more princesses! Lol) And I ate supper lite all day so I could enjoy a little bit of dinner at our absolute favorite, Chefs de France! I enjoyed every bite of food that wasn't apples or hard pretzels. I was also able to keep our reservation for Frozen Ever After dessert party, and watch illuminations for the first time ever! They even brought a surprise dessert plate to our table for me for my birthday! Other notables were meeting Anna and Elsa in their home in Norway, and riding FEA... it was AMAZING! I actually cried at one point.
So, it was certainly not the trip I was expecting, and I probably will never order a croque madam at BOG again :grumpy:, but, like most things in Disney, it had a very happy ending. :happy:

VaderTron

Some places are limiting each person to two toilet papers in the US
Good thing they are allowing two papers for the toilet. Accidents happen all the time where the first one becomes unreadable. Glad we can have a backup.

tenor.gif

Kevin_W

We have a trip booked for Memorial Day week. ~11 weeks, so beyond the CDC 8-week window, so I have some hope. But these things change daily and the China parks haven't reopened, so that hope isn't great.

Most of the time we're Pop Century people, but we splurged and rented DVC points to stay at AKL. I'm curious how that part will go if the parks/hotels are still closed. Worst case is that we're out the money for the week, I suppose. That would suck, but far less than what many are going through right now.

ELG13

My parents still haven’t canceled their ‘take the grandkids’ trip for 4/19. Disney is allowing full refunds on cancellations up to 24 hours prior to check in.
Its looking more likely that they will cancel either way, either Disney staying closed, or on their own end not wanting to cause more disruption in the kids’ school and sports... but they’re holding out for now. No harm in that.
Yeah I'm definitely going to hold out. We booked this trip after our son passed as our "something to look forward to" so I'm pretty emotionally attached to it. I guess once they release new closure dates I'll do it. For now Disney is my savings account 😂. If I had it now I'd have lots of Amazon packages on my door step!

21stamps

What you mean is there has been no report of notoriety that the media has gotten their hands on...yet. I was sick last week. Still coughing. Been staying to myself even in the house. Sleeping separate from my wife and not touching anything I can avoid, and disinfecting what I have to touch. Washing hands all the time.

Today my wife started showing the symptoms.

It’s very important to remember that we’re also in flu/pneumonia/bronchitis season. My doctor has stressed this repeatedly. Just because someone gets sick, doesn’t mean they have the coronavirus. This was a horrible year for flu and sickness outbreak.. some schools even closed for a few days where I live.
The symptoms of COVID-19 are the same as many others.

21stamps

Yeah I'm definitely going to hold out. We booked this trip after our son passed as our "something to look forward to" so I'm pretty emotionally attached to it. I guess once they release new closure dates I'll do it. For now Disney is my savings account 😂. If I had it now I'd have lots of Amazon packages on my door step!

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope your dates remain intact.

VaderTron

The guy should go to a Wal Mart parking lot anywhere in the country and sell at cost. His 17K hand santizers would be sold in a matter of hours.
Now that litigation is being pursued the bottles are probably evidence and no one can use them. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom