Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The lack of test availability is a complete cluster for sure. It is definitely more widespread than known in pretty much every country except South Korea. However, that makes it somewhat less perilous. It means that there are a large number of people that already have or had this virus, recovered and have no idea they had it.

I'm fairly confident that there will be an oversupply of toilet paper in a few weeks because nobody will need to buy it any more since they have bought a three year supply for no apparent reason.
Test availability isn't the only issue. It's how many people actually submit to being tested.

A lot of people get serious short term illnesses and "battle through it", through sick days, through a "rough weekend", etc.

Magically having tests does not mean that the general public, much less the underbelly of society (homeless, undocumented, etc., and don't read into my use of the term "underbelly"), submits.

Without such submission, the top line number is incorrect, and from there, the actual known numbers are off.

The people you are seeing in most cases, outside of perhaps the questionable CCP numbers, are people who self reported, thrown off by the large number of the population who is susceptible to hypochondria (which is a large portion, pretty much anyone if given enough psychological queues).

Keep that in mind.

disney4life2008

What are all the YouTubers going to do? They must be crying right now. Can’t wait to see the videos from when Disney invites them back in a month to show how everything is great. :rolleyes:

Well those pathetic losers will be there Sunday to close it out. Then they will go to Disney Springs that night and every night for the next 2 weeks to show how dead or lively it is. Then they will go back at opening to show their love for Disney all over again. Pathetic!

ImperfectPixie

Test availability isn't the only issue. It's how many people actually submit to being tested.

A lot of people get serious short term illnesses and "battle through it", through sick days, through a "rough weekend", etc.

Magically having tests does not mean that the general public, much less the underbelly of society (homeless, undocumented, etc., and don't read into my use of the term "underbelly"), submits.

Without such submission, the top line number is incorrect, and from there, the actual known numbers are off.

The people you are seeing in most cases, outside of perhaps the questionable CCP numbers, are people who self reported, thrown off by the large number of the population who is susceptible to hypochondria (which is a large portion, pretty much anyone if given enough psychological queues).

Keep that in mind.
Also (just from random stories seen on social media, so take this with a HUGE grain of salt), I've been reading that actually getting tested is not nearly as simple or easy as one would think it would be.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The official site looks to be taking a hammering. They are using a virtual queue.

Untitled-1c.jpg

durangojim

Also (just from random stories seen on social media, so take this with a HUGE grain of salt), I've been reading that actually getting tested is not nearly as simple or easy as one would think it would be.
There are also criteria we and patients have to meet before testing someone. It’s not as simple as testing anyone with a symptoms. That may change next week but not right now.

celluloid

Think about it from the business perspectivesm the travel ban had hurt all the international guests as well as the panic. It is likely not due to the actual concern of the illness, it is just hard for the parks to survive when most of Europe and many other areas of the world can not travel at this time.

DisneyCane

Is Universal paying all their team members during the shut down like Disney is?

Is that confirmed that Disney is paying people during the shut down? If so, then they should be congratulated. Also, I will not care to try and get any compensation or extension of my annual pass due to the days I can't use it because I will feel that my money is going to support people who work hard and are temporarily out of work through absolutely no fault of their own.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Is that confirmed that Disney is paying people during the shut down. If so, then they should be congratulated. Also, I will not care to try and get any compensation or extension of my annual pass due to the days I can't use it because I will feel that my money is going to support people who work hard and are temporarily out of work through absolutely no fault of their own.
Yes WDW is paying cast members.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The more I read, the more I really think this has been around a lot longer than since early December.

We literally just got one of those for Mariott.

I don't doubt it was financially motivated...especially when you consider the damage that would be done to their reputation if they waited until they were forced to close. I suspect the Disneyland closure was a well thought-out plan by both Disney and the governor of CA.

Agreed.

Oh I agree with you...should have been more clear with my comment.

My boys' preschool was built nearly 100 years ago and had toddler-height EVERYTHING...including sinks in the hallways everyone used each time they went outdoors, came inside, and went to/from lunch. It really kills me that modern schools don't include the same kinds of considerations and that that particular school has since closed and been converted to office space. As a family, we rarely even caught colds until our oldest entered elementary school at a different location and with many more grade levels.

I agree with this being around much longer. Looking back knowing the symptoms, I'm almost 90% I had corona when I was in Korea back in January.. I honestly was shocked I was allowed back into the US with my fever and coughing...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You haven't. Experts in infectious disease all seem to disagree with you.
Experts in infectious disease? Or politicians and media sorts telling you what experts in infectious disease said?

I read and keep up with the CDC status, do you?

Here's what it is:

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

(read, not "new", just a new strain)

And here's the current "severity":

The complete clinical picture with regard to COVID-19 is not fully known. Reported illnesses have ranged from very mild (including some with no reported symptoms) to severe, including illness resulting in death. While information so far suggests that most COVID-19 illness is mild, a reportexternal icon out of China suggests serious illness occurs in 16% of cases. Older people and people of all ages with severe underlying health conditions — like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.

Here's what the bolded text means.

"not fully known" - Yes, they don't know it because they don't have a proper data set to report (which I've been saying)
"very mild...to severe" - Yes, it presents and reacts differently to different people. This is not uncommon with any illness of this sort.
"...most...illness is mild...icon out of China..." - You can click the link and read it if you choose. "reportexternalicon" is a coding error for the person who put the webpage together.

But, here's the summary, also bolded for severity:
The median age of the patients was 47 years; 41.9% of the patients were female. The primary composite end point occurred in 67 patients (6.1%), including 5.0% who were admitted to the ICU, 2.3% who underwent invasive mechanical ventilation, and 1.4% who died. Only 1.9% of the patients had a history of direct contact with wildlife. Among nonresidents of Wuhan, 72.3% had contact with residents of Wuhan, including 31.3% who had visited the city. The most common symptoms were fever (43.8% on admission and 88.7% during hospitalization) and cough (67.8%). Diarrhea was uncommon (3.8%). The median incubation period was 4 days (interquartile range, 2 to 7). On admission, ground-glass opacity was the most common radiologic finding on chest computed tomography (CT) (56.4%). No radiographic or CT abnormality was found in 157 of 877 patients (17.9%) with nonsevere disease and in 5 of 173 patients (2.9%) with severe disease. Lymphocytopenia was present in 83.2% of the patients on admission.

Or you can believe the media and politicians who tell you they read it, then grossly misrepresent it. Strange, when the information is at your fingertips.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I still see nothing out of this virus that explains the hysterical nature of the response.

People shouldn't be hysterical about anything.

But there is a very serious crisis coming that China, Italy, and Iran have already faced.

That crisis is this: A segment of the population (mostly those already with health issues) will require Intensive Care, oxygen, and even mechanical respirators in order to stay alive long enough to fight off the virus.

However, if disease spreads rapidly, then everyone who is going to become severely ill, will become severely ill all at once. And there isn't enough ICUs, oxygen machines, and respirators to take care of them all at once.

There will be people gasping for breath and actively dying of asphyxiation who could have been saved, but won't, because there isn't enough equipment.

Think about if that person was your parent or grandparent. You rushing them to the hospital and they in a bed in a hallway actively dying. Your demands that they do something will fall on deaf ears. "We don't have enough equipment. To help them, we'd have to unhook someone else already being kept alive by these machines."

Are you feeling the hysteria yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom