Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Whatever the motivation it’s the right move. I know people are disappointed their vacations are postponed and CMs are worried about losing pay, but it’s for the greater good. Unfortunately there are some people who wouldn’t follow protocol and would show up sick.
Is it? Perhaps it is. I hate to sound awful, but people die. People get sick from exposure. Things happen. The world isn't nerf.

I still see nothing out of this virus that explains the hysterical nature of the response.

I don't mean to sound cold, but...it is what it is.

DisneyCane

I think the timing is just right given the numbers. If the numbers are wrong (and they are), it’s ridiculous that we haven’t been testing people.

This is far more widespread and the situation far more perilous than we have been led to believe.

Wait til you’re forced to buy black market toilet paper from a man wearing a trench coat on Canal St...

The lack of test availability is a complete cluster for sure. It is definitely more widespread than known in pretty much every country except South Korea. However, that makes it somewhat less perilous. It means that there are a large number of people that already have or had this virus, recovered and have no idea they had it.

I'm fairly confident that there will be an oversupply of toilet paper in a few weeks because nobody will need to buy it any more since they have bought a three year supply for no apparent reason.

MuteSuperstar

I still see nothing out of this virus that explains the hysterical nature of the response.

I've thought for a long time that China's numbers were understated and behind the scenes they have information that is causing these kinds of responses at the state level. Of course that is just speculation, gut feeling for me personally. As soon as I saw the hazmat suits in China, I started buying a little extra each time at the grocery. Heck I've never bought powdered milk in my life before this.

Cmdr_Crimson

Parks are closed, expensive shopping, dining and movie theater is open..........
giphy.gif

Boy, those Florida park vloggers are going to have a tough 17 days to deal with...It's like when Krusty got cancelled trying to stay on...😂
photo-mar-23-4-08-48-pm.jpg

EricsBiscuit

I've said this other places, but despite how we feel about this, let's put our trust in the people being paid to make these tough decisions. As hard as it is for us to hear this news, it's harder for them to have to make the tough call... but it's done for a reason. Better to look back on this and reminisce on how we overreacted, than to regret not doing enough.
Well it’s easy to say that. But, as someone in the hospitality industry in Florida, I don’t know how my business is going to survive this. The economy is going to crash because of a stupid cold!

note2001

Parks are closed, expensive shopping, dining and movie theater is open..........
giphy.gif

Boy, those vloggers are going to have a tough 17 days to deal with...

Not the creative ones with real talent. I'm sure there's plenty to cover and this may help them open up their creativity.
Only those who Home Vlooooooog or who are walkabout robots will be lost.

ImperfectPixie

I think the timing is just right given the numbers. If the numbers are wrong (and they are), it’s ridiculous that we haven’t been testing people.

This is far more widespread and the situation far more perilous than we have been led to believe.

Wait til you’re forced to buy black market toilet paper from a man wearing a trench coat on Canal St...
The more I read, the more I really think this has been around a lot longer than since early December.
I just got a robocall from ncl saying now is the perfect time to book a Caribbean cruise with 70% of sailings and up to $200 obc on last minute sailing in the next 2 weeks lol
We literally just got one of those for Mariott.
Because keeping it open, if you can tie it to any level of contamination, creates a losing civil suit. Period.

This was a financial decision. It doesn't reflect the virus, or it's threat. It reflects our litigious society and how it creates reactions that are emotional when they shouldn't be.

Don't presume it was anything else.
I don't doubt it was financially motivated...especially when you consider the damage that would be done to their reputation if they waited until they were forced to close. I suspect the Disneyland closure was a well thought-out plan by both Disney and the governor of CA.

Whatever the motivation it’s the right move. I know people are disappointed their vacations are postponed and CMs are worried about losing pay, but it’s for the greater good. Unfortunately there are some people who wouldn’t follow protocol and would show up sick.
Agreed.
You're overemphasizing that article's weasel hypotheses couched in weasel words: "may" "likely" "seems" "it is possible" "usually". T

That article then loses all its weaselness when talking about schools and human behavior (as opposed to the weather). The article then highlighted:

This leads us to the last point: Even seasonal infections can happen “out of season” when they are new.

If we're talking just about respiratory viral contagions (and not animal-borne diseases like malaria), then the main vector is human behavior. And the behavior of throwing all our snot nosed kids into the same building is the prime cause. And the seasonal nature of schools, leads to the seasonal nature of viral respiratory illnesses.

Here's another part of that article:

In the winter humans spend more time indoors with less ventilation and less personal space than outdoors in the summer. In particular, schools are a site of much infectious disease transmission. School terms have been strongly identified as periods of higher transmission for respiratory viruses including those causing chicken pox, measles, and flu (here and here). The 2009 pandemic flu in the United States was very much decreased during the summer, and then came back rapidly in September.

Highlighted in red is pretty much all the evidence one needs. September is not a cold month. It is the time when schools reconvene.

There should be zero expectation that warm weather would slow transmission of CV19. If that were the case, Iran and Australia wouldn't be having as many cases as they have.
Oh I agree with you...should have been more clear with my comment.

My boys' preschool was built nearly 100 years ago and had toddler-height EVERYTHING...including sinks in the hallways everyone used each time they went outdoors, came inside, and went to/from lunch. It really kills me that modern schools don't include the same kinds of considerations and that that particular school has since closed and been converted to office space. As a family, we rarely even caught colds until our oldest entered elementary school at a different location and with many more grade levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom