Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaderTron

Last year we had tickets to the Typhoon Lagoon H2O nights and it was rained out. Non refundable as well. I went to the CM at the checkin counter of the GF (we were staying there) and asked what they could do for us. He asked me to wait a minute and then asked if a refund would be acceptable, which it was. Just because it says no refunds doesn't mean it's so.

That is true, but if you take a moment to think about it, it seems to be part of their cloak of deception. Disney says you can't have your money back in the policy. When a corporation puts down fine print, they usually hold to it. However, now they have a handful of people like you out there to put lipstick on the pig for them. "See! Isn't Disney great! They gave me back my money for an event that they canceled."(....Wait....What's amazing about that? Isn't that called "not being a crook"?) Meanwhile, they laugh all the way to the bank with everyone else's money who didn't think/know to ask.

Brer Oswald

Image result for life begins at the end of your comfort zone

...don't stop living your LIFE......:cool:. There will be more days to come at the parks where this is not your primary concern.....👍🌱🌺🌻🌿 Spring is coming....get out and look for hopeful signs!
My chance to work at the parks is one and done. Guess I’ll just have to make a career path change to “Florida Vlogger”.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
To out this into perspective Wuhan had a full lock down. They suspended trains, planes, buses and closed highways in and out. Now Imagine if the US government said we are doing the same lockdown in Seattle, parts of CA, NY city and Boston. Will they lock people in those towns? Prevent travel? How is that enforced? Send in the military?, send in armed militias? Not happening Without enforcement people will not follow. Italy has put similar travel restrictions in place.

China and South Korea didn't just lock people in their homes; they separated anyone infected from their family, even children. Italy is playing catch-up and is not doing this (yet?).

The Daily had a good podcast today comparing the approaches in China, South Korea and Italy:

Rimmit

That’s not going to happen here. Chinese people have fear of an authoritarian government. People here won’t actually fear execution or even fines.

To put this into perspective Wuhan had a full lock down. They suspended trains, planes, buses and closed highways in and out. Now Imagine if the US government said we are doing the same lockdown in Seattle, parts of CA, NY city and Boston. Will they lock people in those towns? Prevent travel? How is that enforced? Send in the military?, send in armed militias? Not happening Without enforcement people will not follow. Italy has put similar travel restrictions in place.

I am well aware of what happened in Wuhan. I was following this since mid Jan. As we HAD (sadly cancelled) a trip to Shanghai, Beijing, HK, and Tokyo to hit up Disney and the Great Wall that has since been cancelled.

Back then I said no way this happens in the US. We are so much better than that. We don’t have wet markets. We screen people. Oooh, was I wrong. I will completely admit that. I said “The flu is worse”. Again I was wrong.

To say we can’t use the National Guard to protect people from themselves is somewhat naive. I said the same thing back in January, but I have since reconsidered that position. If things are bad enough (I hope we don’t get to that point) but in theory if Seattle started having 2,500 new cases a day and about 40-50 dying a day from this I will wager it will be on a total military lockdown and people will be ordered to not leave, and it will be enforced.

To think we are too independent or too big for this is just naive and arrogant and now we are paying for that arrogance. I was naive and arrogant thinking back in Jan That this was overblown and the lockdown in China was rediculous. I was angry that a trip I had planned for nine months over something stupid like a Coronavirus got cancelled. I thought I knew better than the experts thinking “This is no worse than the flu.” I was totally wrong.

I hope to god I am dead wrong again. I truly do.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
If you have lost quite a bundle in the stock market meltdown, afraid of being laid off and covid-19 fears, people will be in no mood to spend money.
If you forego a trip to Disney you should have some disposable income...just sayin' as for stocks for the most part they should bounce back, especially if you are in a balanced fund. Not a time to sell or touch those.....No not everyone has cash to spend right now, and I do get that. Just meant those that DO could help economy by spending period. ;)

Brer Oswald

If we act proactivley now and nip it in the bud Late April/May could still possible.
But if we continue half-a##s####s then it will take a long time.

Right now I think they are saying 6 weeks minimum

But they have already cancelled the E3 convention in Los Angeles for June.
E3 cancellation wasn’t surprising. Sony already pulled out, Square Enix pulled out, XBox was a little uncertain, and Nintendo mainly does their digital event. Covid-19 was only one factor in the decision to cancel the convention, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they go completely digital from now on.

DisneyJoe

That is true, but if you take a moment to think about it, it seems to be part of their cloak of deception. Disney says you can't have your money back in the policy. When a corporation puts down fine print, they usually hold to it. However, now they have a handful of people like you out there to put lipstick on the pig for them. "See! Isn't Disney great! They gave me back my money for an event that they canceled."(....Wait....What's amazing about that? Isn't that called "not being a crook"?) Meanwhile, they laugh all the way to the bank with everyone else's money who didn't think/know to ask.
Official name for it is "Guest Recovery" !

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am well aware of what happened in Wuhan. I was following this since mid Jan. As we HAD (sadly cancelled) a trip to Shanghai, Beijing, HK, and Tokyo to hit up Disney and the Great Wall that has since been cancelled.

Back then I said no way this happens in the US. We are so much better than that. We don’t have wet markets. We screen people. Oooh, was I wrong. I will completely admit that. I said “The flu is worse”. Again I was wrong.

To say we can’t use the National Guard to protect people from themselves is somewhat naive. I said the same thing back in January, but I have since reconsidered that position. If things are bad enough (I hope we don’t get to that point) but in theory if Seattle started having 2,500 new cases a day and about 40-50 dying a day from this I will wager it will be on a total military lockdown and people will be ordered to not leave, and it will be enforced.

To think we are too independent or too big for this is just naive and arrogant and now we are paying for that arrogance. I was naive and arrogant thinking back in Jan That this was overblown and the lockdown in China was rediculous. I was angry that a trip I had planned for nine months over something stupid like a Coronavirus got cancelled. I thought I knew better than the experts thinking “This is no worse than the flu.” I was totally wrong.

I hope to god I am dead wrong again. I truly do.
We can agree to disagree. I don’t see a situation where the national guard will be called in to keep people locked down at gunpoint. To help people, yes for sure. To protect supplies and medical workers, sure. But I don’t think if Seattle was on lock down mandated by the government they would use the national Guard to shoot people who break quarantine. I also hope you are dead wrong again.

VaderTron

Just got confirmation from a buddy of mine that the MLB season is being suspended, expect an announcement later today.
Suspended as in "we will wait and see if we can play half the season or so later in the year", or suspended as in "see you in 2021"?

Crunchie9

Well our hand has been forced. Husband is a travel agent, and we can't push the date out. So we go or they close.
DVC-rentals are really pushing hard to get people to commit to buying vacations. It’s almost immoral and unethical to be pushing these at a time like this.
They don’t even talk about the risk and delete anything that asks people to think long and hard about it.
Fifty percent off, you might kill your grandparents but think about the deal..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Suspended as in "we will wait and see if we can play half the season or so later in the year", or suspended as in "see you in 2021"?
All 3 leagues are suspended not cancelled (mlb not officially yet). If things calm down they could still have NBA and NHL playoffs in June or something and Baseball could start up as late as July and still have a partial season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom