Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

And...this morning CNN is reporting that the 1st coronavirus patient in New Hampshire broke his “home quarantine” and attended a private, invitation-only party. And now there is a 2nd case in the state: someone who interacted with #1.

This is not ever going to be controlled if we have people being negligent like that.

Honestly, there should be criminal penalties if somebody does that. I'd also suggest that people that have COVID-19 be identified. I know that violates privacy and HIPPA but HIPPA was meant to prevent discrimination in hiring and things like that. Knowing somebody has COVID-19.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

"But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population."

I'll find the article with the head of the WHO quote when I have time.

Thanks! Not a lot means a number greater than zero are in fact spreading it. They didn't say there were zero cases of asymptomatic circulation. Maybe the WHO quote you mentioned will confirm though.

Lilofan

Travel and leisure is responding and will have to Just on the perception of this.

American and United instituted a 1 year no fee policy on alterations/cancellations...the hotel operators will likely as well.

Conventions are starting to be postponed.

There’s some grumpy people in the dwarf building.

And let’s be clear...this isn’t directly correlated to infection numbers. They haven’t risen in the US at the rate most feared 2 days ago.

This is about perception - perception is reality. Definitely in travel. Decisions made on a knee jerk now could impact for a long time. Avalanche effect.
Knew some people that work on International Drive in Orlando where the convention center, hotels and many dining options are located. This is their lifeblood. Our President is coming March 9 to a health conference at the convention center.

ABQ

Honestly, there should be criminal penalties if somebody does that. I'd also suggest that people that have COVID-19 be identified. I know that violates privacy and HIPPA but HIPPA was meant to prevent discrimination in hiring and things like that. Knowing somebody has COVID-19.
It's meant to do very, very much more than that and it's 1 P and 2 A's, HIPAA.

DisneyCane

Thanks! Not a lot means a number greater than zero are in fact spreading it. They didn't say there were zero cases of asymptomatic circulation. Maybe the WHO quote you mentioned will confirm though.

Here you go. He doesn't say absolutely zero but I would say the comments indicate it isn't really something to worry about.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-...h-rate-3-4-percent-olympics-delay-possibility

Tedros added the COVID-19 is a unique virus that is deadlier, but it doesn't spread as easily when compared to influenza.

"This virus is not SARS, it's not MERS, and it's not influenza; it is a unique virus with unique characteristics," he said. "With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Here you go. He doesn't say absolutely zero but I would say the comments indicate it isn't really something to worry about.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-...h-rate-3-4-percent-olympics-delay-possibility

Tedros added the COVID-19 is a unique virus that is deadlier, but it doesn't spread as easily when compared to influenza.

"This virus is not SARS, it's not MERS, and it's not influenza; it is a unique virus with unique characteristics," he said. "With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19."

Thanks for this, it's always helpful for me to see the sources. It helps me determine whether to trust the information or not. From that I was able to trace it back to the original speech.

This virus is not SARS, it’s not MERS, and it’s not influenza. It is a unique virus with unique characteristics.

Both COVID-19 and influenza cause respiratory disease and spread the same way, via small droplets of fluid from the nose and mouth of someone who is sick.

However, there are some important differences between COVID-19 and influenza.

First, COVID-19 does not transmit as efficiently as influenza, from the data we have so far.

With influenza, people who are infected but not yet sick are major drivers of transmission, which does not appear to be the case for COVID-19.

Evidence from China is that only 1% of reported cases do not have symptoms, and most of those cases develop symptoms within 2 days.

Some countries are looking for cases of COVID-19 using surveillance systems for influenza and other respiratory diseases.

Source: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020

natatomic

Really? Criminal? You’ve never tough out an illness at work due to it being mild? Or you were out of sick days? You never went to the store while sick to get medicine? I know that guy went to a party, which is kind of different (and dumb, but hey, maybe he felt okay since this virus is ridiculously mild in a majority of people), but that doesn’t make a difference to the germs spreading. Germs spread the same whether you’re at work, the store, parties, etc. Sometimes people have responsibilities that they have to take care of, sickness be d***ed. Making it criminal to leave your house due to the sniffles is insane.

DisneyCane

Really? Criminal? You’ve never tough out an illness at work due to it being mild? Or you were out of sick days? You never went to the store while sick to get medicine? I know that guy went to a party, which is kind of different (and dumb, but hey, maybe he felt okay since this virus is ridiculously mild in a majority of people), but that doesn’t make a difference to the germs spreading. Germs spread the same whether you’re at work, the store, parties, etc. Sometimes people have responsibilities that they have to take care of, sickness be d***ed. Making it criminal to leave your house due to the sniffles is insane.

If they are diagnosed with COVID-19 and are told to quarantine at home. I'm not suggesting going to work with a cold should be criminal.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they are diagnosed with COVID-19 and are told to quarantine at home. I'm not suggesting going to work with a cold should be criminal.
There was a time when the local board of health had that authority...
1583342820079.png

ELG13

I think given the circumstances of what's going on with the virus, and people knowing how easily it is spread and how ill people CAN get (including death), this person going out, breaking a quarantine, knowing he has a high likelihood of infecting other people and spreading it, yes something should be done. I can't imagine the thought process this person had thinking it was ok. You can't compare it to the sniffles. You can't compare with going to work to support yourself. This person wanted to go to a party and did so with a highly contagious, possibly lethal virus in his body. Since we are on a Disney forum, what if someone knew they had the virus but felt well enough to go to Disney? Is it different because that runs the risk of infecting thousands of people vs. a few people at an invitation only party? It shouldn't. One person's life is no more or less valuable than another's. What if someone at that party went home to a child or parent that was immunocompromised? The fact is, is that this virus is proving to be hard to contain and knowing you have it and chosing to still go out is reckless. If I were at that party I would be furious. I can't say in all honesty what I would do if I went and then came home to my children, or went to work the next day at the hospital, only to find out some mouth breather wanted to go to a party . This is a prime example of how this virus will easily spread in a culture that is so worried about themselves and no one else.

natatomic

But it’s basically a cold. It’s less deadly than the flu, and it’s not illegal to leave the house if you have the flu. I’m not saying we shouldn’t encourage people to stay home when they’re sick - we absolutely should encourage that. But making it criminal to leave the house when sick would be setting a dangerous precedent.

deeevo

What that person did was clearly stupid but what if your company doesn't give you all your sick time at the beginning of the year like most companies do and they make you earn it bi-weekly at 1.8 hours every 2 weeks and you don't have enough PTO to cover your rent, mortgage, electric, water, car payment, food.. whatever. Then what do you do? Let's say your not even feeling sick but your told your infected. Those are tough choices if you have a family to feed. I know I would do anything to make sure my family is taken care of.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Well my conference for next week just got cancelled. BOOOOO!!!!! My family and I are going anyway. I'm not concerned. I understand the virus, but there is a lot hysteria around it was well.

Reactions: ABQ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom