Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyz81

Just to piggyback on this and emphasize it, for the people in the back who still think COVID-19 is less deadly than the flu, or in case it's already been posted here but got buried:

The flu has a mortality rate of about .1% (in other words, 1 in 1,000 people).

COVID-19 (which is a different strain of the virus than has circulated previously, so those who've had a different coronavirus strain are not believed to be immune to it) can be mild, but for some 20% of those who contract it, leads to symptoms serious enough to require treatment at a hospital. It has an average mortality rate of 2-3%, 20-30 times higher than the flu: that is, 2 or 3 out of every 100 people.

That 2-3% is just an average rate, however: the death rates are strongly tied to gender (with nearly twice as many fatalities for men than women) and age, with a mortality rate of only .2% (twice that of the flu) for the under-40 crowd, but mortality rates of 8-15% (80 to 150 times higher than the flu) for those aged 70 and higher. Presumably this explains why more than a third of those who contracted it in Washington state -- the majority of whom seem to have been residents of that one nursing home, meaning they were older individuals with pre-existing conditions -- have died.

This means that as the spouse of someone with severe asthma, and the daughter/stepdaughter of 3 people in their late 70s, 2 of whom have serious preexisting conditions, this outbreak deserves my careful attention.

I would check those numbers if I were you. All the data is not in as the clinicians are just catching up to something that may have been around for longer than we know. Read this article to help ease your fearmongering contributions.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-data-still-misleading-latest-205711968.html

Weather_Lady

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I would check those numbers if I were you. All the data is not in as the clinicians are just catching up to something that may have been around for longer than we know. Read this article to help ease your fearmongering contributions.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coronavirus-data-still-misleading-latest-205711968.html

Written by someone in the securities industry writing an op-Ed for Yahoo Finance. Also, “fearmongering contributions.” Great language there.

TP2000

Japan in general, and Tokyo Disneyland specifcally, have the most rigorous cleaning procedures of any Disney theme park. Heck, in Tokyo Disneyland they have CM's wipe down the seats and handlebars with absorbent towels after you disembark on a rainy day, so that any water droplets that might have gotten from your umbrella or clothing onto the seats are dry before a new set of riders gets in!

When was the last time any American CM did that routinely for riders in any American theme park??? Never!

Knowing that Japan's Disney parks are vastly superior in cleanliness and hygiene...

If you use the death rate math that was used in Japan to close Tokyo Disneyland, we are about halfway towards the US death rate needed to close WDW and Disneyland USA.

Tokyo Disneyland announced it was closing after 8 people in Japan had died, in a country of 120 Million.

There are 330 Million people living in America, so the death rate using that math would need to be 22 Americans died.

Today the 11th death due to Coronavirus related symptoms was reported. So after 11 more Americans die and the death rate reaches 22, will WDW and Disneyland USA close immediately and indefinitely?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Japan in general, and Tokyo Disneyland specifcally, have the most rigorous cleaning procedures of any Disney theme park. Heck, in Tokyo Disneyland they have CM's wipe down the seats and handlebars with absorbent towels after you disembark on a rainy day, so that any water droplets that might have gotten from your umbrella or clothing onto the seats are dry before a new set of riders gets in!

When was the last time any American CM did that routinely for riders in any American theme park??? Never!

Knowing that Japan's Disney parks are vastly superior in cleanliness and hygiene...

If you use the death rate math that was used in Japan to close Tokyo Disneyland, we are about halfway towards the US death rate needed to close WDW and Disneyland USA.

Tokyo Disneyland announced it was closing after 8 people in Japan had died, in a country of 120 Million.

There are 330 Million people living in America, so the death rate using that math would need to be 22 Americans died.

Today the 11th death due to Coronavirus related symptoms was reported. So after 11 more Americans die and the death rate reaches 22, will WDW and Disneyland USA close immediately and indefinitely?

Stop! You’re liable to be labeled an un-American fearmonger. That’s why it’s not being taken seriously here. We rise above it.

DisneyCane

Sharing some official data.....
Wife & I are 68. I smoked for 48 years (quite last year), but still have a degree of lung compromise. That's background, given to WDW.

I asked about WDWs policy regarding the use of N95 face masks within the Parks - suggesting that the current "no mask" policy might need an adjustment, due to current events.

Without comment - the official reply:

"The My Disney Experience website under the Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules is where we have listed the policy when it comes to wearing a mask. It states that Guests 14 years and older will not be permitted to wear a mask unless it's a medical necessity. For more details on this policy and more please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/.

We truly believe that by listening to our Members, we will know what we’re doing right and—most importantly—what we should continue to improve upon.
Please know that your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with our Senior Leadership Team.

(xxxxx), thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

Best Regards,

Cleone Snow
Member Relations
Disney Vacation Club"

Ahead of time? I do not intend to debate the value of N95 Respirators. I'll just kill this posting if that occurs.

Get a doctor's note or prescription to bring with you if you want to wear one. That makes it a medical necessity.

MagicWDI

Here's the way I look at things:
Am I, or my family members likely to die from something that has killed a handful of people in this country?
No.
The car ride to and from the airport is far more dangerous.
Of all the things that might take me out, I am going to state right here and right now - coronavirus won't be the one.
You mentioned the car ride being far more dangerous. So I went looking for some numbers just for kicks and giggles.

As of 2018, motor-vehicle deaths in the US was 12 to 100,000 in population. That's a death rate of 0.012%. that's actually 10 times less than the seasonal flu.

If you want to count per vehicle on the road, the numbers are 1.42 deaths per every 10,000 vehicles, as of 2018. That's a death rate of 0.0142%

esskay

Ahead of time? I do not intend to debate the value of N95 Respirators. I'll just kill this posting if that occurs.
Implying you already realise how ineffective they are if you don't have the virus.

Logically speaking, even if we ignored the hundreds of officials all around the world telling people to stop buying the bloody things and causing shortages, ask the question - if they were so effective, why haven't governments just issued them to everyone to stop the spread.

(Yea I know you didn't want to talk about it but there you go)

JoeCamel

Sharing some official data.....
Wife & I are 68. I smoked for 48 years (quite last year), but still have a degree of lung compromise. That's background, given to WDW.

I asked about WDWs policy regarding the use of N95 face masks within the Parks - suggesting that the current "no mask" policy might need an adjustment, due to current events.

Without comment - the official reply:

"The My Disney Experience website under the Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules is where we have listed the policy when it comes to wearing a mask. It states that Guests 14 years and older will not be permitted to wear a mask unless it's a medical necessity. For more details on this policy and more please visit https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/.

We truly believe that by listening to our Members, we will know what we’re doing right and—most importantly—what we should continue to improve upon.
Please know that your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with our Senior Leadership Team.

(xxxxx), thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

Best Regards,

Cleone Snow
Member Relations
Disney Vacation Club"

You say you don't want to debate the value of the masks against transmission so you ignore what the experts have said about the use of masks to reduce transmission by those infected but no care for the fact they say they are not effective for prevention of infection?

Delete it, you are not reasonable in this

If you think you are at risk stay home, it is not up to DIS to accomodate you against the expert advice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Florida numbers were updated tonight -

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 6.56.02 PM.png

Lilofan

View attachment 453987
Curious on numbers? on how many that could have been exposed and under isolation. A NYC lawyer who recently came back from Miami checked himself into a hospital after feeling ill and is now in critical condition in a NYC hospital after testing positive. His friend and family in NY have also tested positive. Governor Cuomo of NY today went ahead in putting 1,000 people in Westchester County, NY under isolation for possible exposure.

esskay

View attachment 453987
I'd take these kinds of things with a pinch of salt. It's already probably a lot more widespread than people realise as for most the symptoms are extremely minor (sniffles or a mild sore throat) and they won't even think of getting checked. I think this is where things like the mortality rate will be wildly inaccurate as its only based on the number of people known to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom