Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariel1986

I don't want any of the kids suffering in our group if the adults come down with something and are unable to care for them. Adversely, I don't want the kids to come down with anything while traveling. I don't understand how trying to minimize the possibility of getting this thing and/or developing symptoms while away from home is any indication of senselessness. I really don't. That's what bothers me about what you posted. People can catch any number of things while traveling but if this is something we can consciously try to avoid? Why is that senseless? I know, let's all of us go play a game of Twister on the Skyliner.

I think it’s the fact that you live in New York, but think refraining from a trip to WDW is going to make a difference to whether you contract this virus- which still isn’t a given at all- and in most cases is going to be mild if no symptoms at all. Are you going to keep your children home from school? Lock yourself all indoors?

Touchdown

If I sat near someone coughing and sneezing their germs into the air, I would be wearing a protective mask. Hand washing can only help but but not if you breathe in the germs.

Unless you also wore airtight goggles that mask would do you no good (eyes are an equally vulnerable entry point as your nose and mouth.) you would be better off giving that mask to the sick person (it would lessen the amount of virus particles in the air.) But then again, I’m more comfortable with the risk as my workplace will soon be the most dangerous place in town (a hospital.).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I work for an NHS Clinical Commissioning Group. But carry on.

And no, I did not say “most people will be fine... I hope”. There is a mortality rate. People who are immunosuppressant are at risk. And there are precautions that should be taken. I’m just sick of the fear mongering, panic-sheep madness to be honest. It doesn’t help.

I would think you would be more cautious in your dismissals...applied or stated.

We disagree on the PR aspects of this...probably not the threat. Till next time when we do agree.

It’s funny you said “sheep”...that is exactly what they have in Orlando...needing a bit of an overzealous approach.

dclfan

I don't want any of the kids suffering in our group if the adults come down with something and are unable to care for them. Adversely, I don't want the kids to come down with anything while traveling. I don't understand how trying to minimize the possibility of getting this thing and/or developing symptoms while away from home is any indication of senselessness. I really don't. That's what bothers me about what you posted. People can catch any number of things while traveling but if this is something we can consciously try to avoid? Why is that senseless? I know, let's all of us go play a game of Twister on the Skyliner.
I think it’s the fact that you live in New York, but think refraining from a trip to WDW is going to make a difference to whether you contract this virus- which still isn’t a given at all- and in most cases is going to be mild if no symptoms at all. Are you going to keep your children home from school? Lock yourself all indoors?

@Ariel1986 beat me to the punch but I agree with her sentiments exactly. You must be planning to never let your children leave the house. I assume you take public transportation in NYC. Are you not going to grocery shop, or go to work or otherwise be out and about in the world? I’m sure the children will understand that you cancelled their trip to DISNEY WORLD that won’t be heartbreaking or deflating to them at all.

Lilofan

A mask is completely useless to you. They're only worth having if you actually have the infection. It's airborn, meaning it can get into eyes.
Then if I'm next to a person with it, I'm screwed. But my sister in law got the last of the zinc cherry lozenges boxes in the store.

Last edited:

Jenny72

Where are these panickers? Everyone I know seems to think it's a sign of intelligence to be nonchalant about it. But the idea is that the virus hasn't been that bad *because* governments, groups and individuals are (or should be) taking steps to try to prevent the spread. Many governments and organizations agree that it's a bad idea to pretend it's not there, and shutting down places where people congregate (such as Disney) might well be a part of that plan. These types of actions are what makes it possible for people to shrug and say it's overblown. But if we were overwhelmed the way Wuhan was, no one would feel that way. That's the purpose of reducing transmission: so we don't get overwhelmed, and to protect the vulnerable.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
@Ariel1986 beat me to the punch but I agree with her sentiments exactly. You must be planning to never let your children leave the house. I assume you take public transportation in NYC. Are you not going to grocery shop, or go to work or otherwise be out and about in the world? I’m sure the children will understand that you cancelled their trip to DISNEY WORLD that won’t be heartbreaking or deflating to them at all.

I'd rather be home than traveling, I said that earlier. Also, not my kids, my brother's family lives in CT. But that's not the point, the point is that if you give me the option of going somewhere hacking up a lung and staying home hacking up a lung, I choose home.

But you've already made your minds up on this so, I don't have to convince you of anything.

MagicWDI

I find it interesting when someone posts estimated numbers and even facts, or even discussing ways to prepare for and educate about the possibility of how widespread the virus can spread, those individuals are labeled as fear mongering and over reacting. It seems to me an unfair classification for just repeating information given to us by the experts in the labs and on the field.

When I think of fear mongering, I think of irrational attempts to spread fear, like telling people to go out and buy all the bleach, batteries, masks, water they can get their hands on, or telling people there is no use we are all doomed, etc. This will not stop the spread of the virus. I don't see the news doing this or even many people on here. Just reposting actual accurate information should not be labeled as spreading fear.

The attempts to downplay the situation can also lead down a dangerous road. Not being prepared and being caught off guard could lead to the further spread of the virus.

When it comes down to WDW, it is a very sticky situation. They themselves put safely as a number one priority. At least they claim to. Putting other priorities such as local the economy and guests' vacations before safely seems to be irrational in my book. If this virus continues to spread, which it looks like it will without a vaccine or mandatory quarantine, I can see the closure of both Disney resorts, including other theme parks. We are already seeing the cancelation of conventions and public events due to public safety, which is already having an effect on a local economies. It is only a matter of time before larger events and top tourist locations have to step in to help prevent the spread.

That's just my opinion and prediction...

ifan

If anyone here has about 30 minutes of free time and wants to read more from an official source without (too much) politics included, here is a link to the official WHO report from end of February. Lots of interesting facts and theories from the people doing the initial investigating of the virus and the response in China. WHO Report

Lilofan

CDC releases guidance for mass gatherings. Wonder how this could impact stuff at WDW or DLR...
Fantasmic show at DHS that seats about 8K guests would fall under mass gatherings.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reading this thread explains nearly everything wrong with the human condition.

It's a blend of misinformation, fear and showboating. It's basically the pure form of today's politics.

Keep on posting kids... This is a fun, fascinating read :)
Yeah...all of that means nothing.

Which goes with the standard rule: when people have nothing to say - they patronize

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CDC releases guidance for mass gatherings. Wonder how this could impact stuff at WDW or DLR...

I was told earlier by a panel of pro-Disney pundits on this thread that there is zero danger to anything Disney...so this doesn’t apply

...then they went back to commenting on trip reports 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom