Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kind of crazy that this virus is affecting the entire freakin world (except Antartica...?), I mean that seriously blows my mind. Like we are all in this and anyone of us could get it.

I suddenly have the urge to stand on my desk and break out into a Status Quo song...:cautious:

To be fair...they all do. With people and goods traveling globally by the hour...it’s nearly impossible to contain.

ELG13

We are a family of 4 and I couldn't forgive myself if I subject them to the virus. Hence I am here looking for opinions and seeing what others are doing. Scary stuff.
Absolutely understand....at this point she didn't feel there was enough of a reason (atleast to the general publics knowledge) to cancel the trip. They are AP holders so they go several times a year. We are scheduled for early May so by then I feel like we will have a grasp of what's going on.

durangojim

I think it's important to understand the difference between panicking and minimizing risk. My daughter has juvenile diabetes. We had planned as a family to go to NYC during spring break in early April and see a Broadway show and do touristy things. I cancelled those plans today. I did not panic but I saw no reason to increase her risk by potentially exposing all of us to a virus. My guess is that there are more cases in the US than are being reported but that doesn't mean we can't take precautions. There is no shame in washing hands, avoiding large groups of people, or even wearing masks or staying home if you're able to. The people who ridicule those who do that are being ignorant, plain and simple. It hurts no one to take those precautions, but those who decide to willingly expose themselves or continue to expose others when they themselves show symptoms are foolish and irresponsible.

Ariel1986

It was a hypothetical and you missed the point. Actually...I’m sure you didn’t miss it...I would guess you don’t want to hear it.

What we know is that the Chinese have had a hard time with it...Korea and Japan have enacted conservative precautions...and Italy is spooked beyond belief.

I’ve seen no health official Say “no biggie...have a lovely holiday”

...if they have - they should be fired. Caution is warranted when knowledge is not complete. Would I still travel? Yes I probably would. But it’s ridiculously arrogant dismiss.

I’ll ask a less ambiguous question: how does geography affect my example? Where are we talking about? How does that change the mindset.

Yes I’m sitting here with my fingers in my ears going la la la I don’t want to hear your point because I want to travel/go to Disney etc etc.

Or I’m just being realistic and not freaking out over the fear mongering click bait media all over the world, knowing that taking the recommended precautions like washing hands and understanding that this virus is likely to be widespread- but most people will suffer mild if no symptoms and recover- is probably the sensible way to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it's important to understand the difference between panicking and minimizing risk. My daughter has juvenile diabetes. We had planned as a family to go to NYC during spring break in early April and see a Broadway show and do touristy things. I cancelled those plans today. I did not panic but I saw no reason to increase her risk by potentially exposing all of us to a virus. My guess is that there are more cases in the US than are being reported but that doesn't mean we can't take precautions. There is no shame in washing hands, avoiding large groups of people, or even wearing masks or staying home if you're able to. The people who ridicule those who do that are being ignorant, plain and simple. It hurts no one to take those precautions, but those who decide to willingly expose themselves or continue to expose others when they themselves show symptoms are foolish and irresponsible.

Ok...a sensible man/woman in the room. Good to see.

But I’m gonna go ahead and use this setup to swing at the 3-2 pitch:

Much of this thread is about Disney and people’s inability to control themselves. This is 3,247th daily example of a lack of perspective/maturity round these parts.

I said nyc...That didn’t hold. So how about if I said myrtle beach? Cedar point? Or for friends across the pond, Alton Towers?

Would we be coming up with elaborate ways to self justify not wanting to hear it?
It’s not everyone...but a lot of this is Disney tinged. Come on...let’s get real so we can move on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes I’m sitting here with my fingers in my ears going la la la I don’t want to hear your point because I want to travel/go to Disney etc etc.

Or I’m just being realistic and not freaking out over the fear mongering click bait media all over the world, knowing that taking the recommended precautions like washing hands and understanding that this virus is likely to be widespread- but most people will suffer mild if no symptoms and recover- is probably the sensible way to be.

You’ve given two options...I can respect that.

But kinda ruined it when you again said “most people will be fine...I hope”

What post do you hold with the WHO or NHS, again?

montyz81

This is a fair statement. People can still live their lives while taking the necessary precautions, especially for people with pre-existing conditions.

What irks me about this entire thread is the amount of misinformation being spread throughout that will then be misrepresented to someone else starting a panic that does not need to happen. Sort of like what is going on around the world right now. Take the necessary precautions to keep yourself safe, live your daily lives, but also stop spreading information that just about everyone here, if not everyone, knows nothing about. Leave it to the medical professionals that are directly in contact with solving this problem.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I’m confused. You say your a life long New Yorker (so am I born and raised) and you’ve cancelled your trip to stay behind in a place where you claim has no medical facilities capable to handle this disease .

as @Ariel1986 has mentioned it’s these “sky is falling” people who are making this a bigger deal then it should be. Truthfully all your going to end up doing is hurting the local Orlando and Disney economy and taking money from people who live and work in the parks.

I said limited medical facilities and I don't know about you but I'd rather be sick at home than on vacation. Better the devil you know. Also, I could be a carrier -- who wants to bring that sort of thing on an airplane? But why engage with you? I love these personal attacks over someone's decision whether to stay or go. "Clearly making sense is not something" I do well? I'm sorry, I can't engage with you, perhaps you should check out the Politics forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

KBLovedDisney

Panicking and Being Careful are two different things. I think some on here are thinking that "canceling a trip" is panicking whereas it can just as well be taking precaution and it is in actuality just Being Careful and Being Mindfully Aware that safety means staying away where the problems could persist. Trying to be safe and cautious is not always something done within a panic.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
To be fair...they all do. With people and goods traveling globally by the hour...it’s nearly impossible to contain.

To be fair the freight and postal handlers are not ensuring that they have applied a nice layer of biofilm over every good they come into contact with.. I'll see what I can do about that.

Ariel1986

You’ve given two options...I can respect that.

But kinda ruined it when you again said “most people will be fine...I hope”

What post do you hold with the WHO or NHS, again?

I work for an NHS Clinical Commissioning Group. But carry on.

And no, I did not say “most people will be fine... I hope”. There is a mortality rate. People who are immunosuppressant are at risk. And there are precautions that should be taken. I’m just sick of the fear mongering, panic-sheep madness to be honest. It doesn’t help.

durangojim

This is a fair statement. People can still live their lives while taking the necessary precautions, especially for people with pre-existing conditions.

What irks me about this entire thread is the amount of misinformation being spread throughout that will then be misrepresented to someone else starting a panic that does not need to happen. Sort of like what is going on around the world right now. Take the necessary precautions to keep yourself safe, live your daily lives, but also stop spreading information that just about everyone here, if not everyone, knows nothing about. Leave it to the medical professionals that are directly in contact with solving this problem.
That's very true. One of the reasons it's unfortunate that we don't have sufficient testing supplies is that if we did, and could show that this thing is much larger than it seems, it would drive the mortality rate down significantly and would put more people's minds at ease, like they are with the flu.

dclfan

I said limited medical facilities and I don't know about you but I'd rather be sick at home than on vacation. Better the devil you know. Also, I could be a carrier -- who wants to bring that sort of thing on an airplane? But why engage with you? I love these personal attacks over someone's decision whether to stay or go. "Clearly making sense is not something" I do well? I'm sorry, I can't engage with you, perhaps you should check out the Politics forum.

I feel like you are currently engaging with me.

I’d rather not be sick at all but whether I’m in New York or Florida doesn’t make a difference. Chances of me getting sick in either spot are very slim. I’m not going to hide because of what if’s. I would never leave my house.

montyz81

FYI, I just read a counter in China that said 47k people have fully recovered from the Coronavirus. If true, not many people are reporting that at all!
That's very true. One of the reasons it's unfortunate that we don't have sufficient testing supplies is that if we did, and could show that this thing is much larger than it seems, it would drive the mortality rate down significantly and would put more people's minds at ease, like they are with the flu.
Agreed. I did just read on a ticker in China that 47k people have recovered. Why hasn't that number been reported at all?

Calmdownnow

There are probably several hundreds of cases in the park as we speak.

Live your lives!!!
Unless you are over 60, unless you are asthmatic, unless you have underlying health problems, including some pregnancies... Probably around 10-15% of guests. In which case it might be a good idea to postpone your visit if infection becomes widespread because you are likely to be standing closer to a lot of other people or touching non-cleaned surfaces than you would be at home.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I feel like you are currently engaging with me.

I’d rather not be sick at all but whether I’m in New York or Florida doesn’t make a difference. I’m not going to hide because of what if’s. I would never leave my house

I don't want any of the kids suffering in our group if the adults come down with something and are unable to care for them. Adversely, I don't want the kids to come down with anything while traveling. I don't understand how trying to minimize the possibility of getting this thing and/or developing symptoms while away from home is any indication of senselessness. I really don't. That's what bothers me about what you posted. People can catch any number of things while traveling but if this is something we can consciously try to avoid? Why is that senseless? I know, let's all of us go play a game of Twister on the Skyliner.

Touchdown

You do realize that every town in America has a place where a large collection of people gather on a daily basis right? They go by many names, Walmart, malls, movie theatres, grocery stores, churches, schools, stadiums, etc. Unless you are willing to live like the people in Wuhan for the next two months you will be putting yourself at risk. Also stop thinking of it as being only a problem that comes from people who traveled internationally, it’s in America and spreading. The fact is we are all at risk, and nothing is going to change that. The sooner people realize this the better, because when they realize what they would have to do to not be at risk people will be able to make an informed choice. Absent a serious local outbreak none of the places I listed will close in this country. I am currently in Southwest Florida having flown here, I’m going to be in WDW this weekend and fly out of MCO. Next month I will be spending a week in the Smokies, and I’ll be back at WDW in early May. I’m healthy so I plan on going so long as those places are open, if it gets so bad locally that business owners close or the government forced them I won’t. I will however be making sure to focus on hand washing. If I had a weakened immune system my choices might be different.

Calmdownnow

but most people will suffer mild if no symptoms and recover- is probably the sensible way to be.
The figures seem to suggest that 80 out of 100 people will have mild symptoms, but 20 in a hundred will not. So there are 2 issues, the first is that if you could be part of the 20%, you need to keep away from situations where you may become infected and secondly, the people who are have "mild symptoms" need to keep away from those who are more vulnerable because of age, asthma/diabetic conditions etc. Having mild symptoms does not mean you go about your normal business -- you still have to think about who you are in contact with and how you engage with others.

Lilofan

You do realize that every town in America has a place where a large collection of people gather on a daily basis right? They go by many names, Walmart, malls, movie theatres, grocery stores, churches, schools, stadiums, etc. Unless you are willing to live like the people in Wuhan for the next two months you will be putting yourself at risk. Also stop thinking of it as being only a problem that comes from people who traveled internationally, it’s in America and spreading. The fact is we are all at risk, and nothing is going to change that. The sooner people realize this the better, because when they realize what they would have to do to not be at risk people will be able to make an informed choice. Absent a serious local outbreak none of the places I listed will close in this country. I am currently in Southwest Florida having flown here, I’m going to be in WDW this weekend and fly out of MCO. Next month I will be spending a week in the Smokies, and I’ll be back at WDW in early May. I’m healthy so I plan on going so long as those places are open, if it gets so bad locally that business owners close or the government forced them I won’t. I will however be making sure to focus on hand washing. If I had a weakened immune system my choices might be different.
If I sat near someone coughing and sneezing their germs into the air, I would be wearing a protective mask. Hand washing can only help but but not if you breathe in the germs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom