Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Of course. I wasn’t expecting you to give me a city on county. Just generally. :)
Yeah I just don't want people think I'm making crap up - I just value privacy of people when it's not my own stuff to share if that makes sense. It's cold where they are LOL. And sorry for their typo. The 2 and 3 were just too close together. We're now chatting about Disney stuff instead since I'm at the 60 day mark for my son and mom trip. We have a big trip together later with both families.

Vegas Disney Fan

Looks to have peaked in MA here's the wastewater testing chart. View attachment 613811
B115455D-D379-4FAE-8CEC-902E4F786947.jpeg

We seem to have peaked also (Nevada), we’ve been steady for the last 3 days and todays numbers were actually down several hundred.

Deaths have thankfully continued their downward trend, Delta was hitting us pretty hard so Omicron may have been a blessing in disguise.

644BA396-99E6-42C4-A9F7-EFD4FC252CAF.jpeg

Last edited:

Chomama

9% of our local high school is out with Covid 🤦🏼‍♀️ Masks are still optional. To be fair they came home infected from their performance in the rose bowl parade but that’s astronomical either way. The largest amount at any other point during the pandemic was <1%. That said, no one is hospitalized so 🤷🏼‍♀️

Homer fan

9% of our local high school is out with Covid 🤦🏼‍♀️ Masks are still optional. To be fair they came home infected from their performance in the rose bowl parade but that’s astronomical either way. The largest amount at any other point during the pandemic was <1%. That said, no one is hospitalized so 🤷🏼‍♀️
But masks don't work to stop Omicron, unless it's N95, soooo....

seascape

There is good news for NY, NJ and Florida but sad news for the Country as a whole. First the bad news, the US for the first time ever broke 800,000 and is now averaging 803,763 cases a day or 242 per 100k cases, 45 per 100k hospitalizations and 0.56 deaths per 100k. NY is now at 350, 67 and 0.91, NJ is at 314, 71 and 0.87. Florida is at 297, 51 and 0.31. Hopefully most if the country has passed its peak levels but with California and most of the weat coast still rising the country probably has a ways to go.

DisneyCane

I doubt they will. Disney put in a vaccine mandate electively.
Which they took away after the original stay against the OSHA rule was issued and FL outlawed it.
Which they currently can’t enforce in Florida.
Well, technically they can. The would just be liable for pretty significant fines if they terminate people for not being vaccinated. They can have a vaccinate or test policy as long as they cover the testing costs.

DisneyCane

My oldest mentioned yesterday that his classes (8th grade) are anywhere from 25-50% empty right now. County statistics are ~1/3 of kids 12-17 vaccinated (middle and HS age). Lower still for elementary age kids.
County as a whole is just over 50%.
My 8 year old nephew in Pennsylvania was sent home by the school and told to isolate for a week because he had gastrointestinal issues and they said that could be a symptom of COVID. They didn't say he needed to be tested. They did it out of an "abundance of caution."

He is special needs (autistic) and I think they just didn't want to deal with the issue he was having and used COVID as an excuse to send him home for a few days.

I don't know if the kids in your district are actually testing positive or if similar things are happening. I have a hard time believing that 25%+ of kids have tested positive within a week. That would be crazy high even in the areas with the highest spread. Montana is among the "lowest" in cases per capita currently.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There is good news for NY, NJ and Florida but sad news for the Country as a whole. First the bad news, the US for the first time ever broke 800,000 and is now averaging 803,763 cases a day or 242 per 100k cases, 45 per 100k hospitalizations and 0.56 deaths per 100k. NY is now at 350, 67 and 0.91, NJ is at 314, 71 and 0.87. Florida is at 297, 51 and 0.31. Hopefully most if the country has passed its peak levels but with California and most of the weat coast still rising the country probably has a ways to go.
A week or two ago, they said, as a nation, we would peak by the end of January. But some places like NYC would peak starting about now.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My 8 year old nephew in Pennsylvania was sent home by the school and told to isolate for a week because he had gastrointestinal issues and they said that could be a symptom of COVID. They didn't say he needed to be tested. They did it out of an "abundance of caution."
That’s crap. And wrong. Sorry.

No issues at my daughters school at this time. No issues first semester either. We will see how that goes.

correcaminos

He is special needs (autistic) and I think they just didn't want to deal with the issue he was having and used COVID as an excuse to send him home for a few days.

I don't know if the kids in your district are actually testing positive or if similar things are happening. I have a hard time believing that 25%+ of kids have tested positive within a week. That would be crazy high even in the areas with the highest spread. Montana is among the "lowest" in cases per capita currently.
GI issues always sent kids home pre-covid. And they should. Am I missing something else or do you really think it's okay to keep sick kids in school? And yes, your nephew should test just in case. Not knowing if there were close contacts or not I cannot comment if the isolation was necessary or not, but definitely for a minimum of 24 hours after symptoms resolved if negative

Kids in my district are testing positive. The friend I spoke of their kids are all testing positive. Legally our schools have to report cases. When we were getting a handful a week we are now getting that per day.

If you are implying that covid numbers aren't as bad as schools are saying I'm at a loss for words. As a parent I can tell you there likely unreported cases in our schools here. There are no inflated numbers.

DisneyCane

They aren't proving it is the right thing to do to force your employees to save their own lives. I'd be willing to bet that in the same time period the airlines that don't have a vaccine mandate also had zero deaths and zero hospitalizations among their vaccinated employees (or very close due to others having more employees).

I'm basing this on the statistics for vaccinated people in general and the fact that the most at risk to be hospitalized or die if they are vaccinated are normally not employed at an airline.

Other employees being vaccinated is not saving the lives the vaccinated employees. If those 8-10 employees wanted to choose to risk death from COVID it isn't the place of their employer to force them not to take the risk.

I'm not sure what the total number of employees at United is right now after the COVID staffing adjustments. I've seen numbers of 74k to 88k.

Using the high number for lives saved and the low number for head count, their policy has saved the lives of 0.014% of their workforce. Meanwhile, using the high number for head count, 3.4% of the work force is currently COVID positive.

There could be a justification for the mandate if it prevented infections so that their operations weren't affected. However, 3.4% of the workforce currently can't work so the "right thing to do" isn't really helping their operation.

As I said in another post, I think they are being misleading with the "more than one" employee dying per week prior to the vaccine mandate. They are not very specific on how they are calculating which leads me to believe they are including the time period before vaccines were even available to calculate the average.

A very large percentage of their employees were vaccinated voluntarily before they mandated it. They estimated it at "no more than 70%" before they implemented the mandate. Using the 88k head count, that would mean that somewhere around 27k were not vaccinated. I find it hard to believe statistically that more than one of the 27k were dying per week given the age and health demographics of airline employees. Pilots are required to retire at 65 and you don't see too many flight attendants that keep working past that age. Certainly the employees in the physical jobs out on the ramp or in maintenance typically retire younger than that.

Either way, if they think it is "the right thing to do" to force their employees to protect themselves from dying of COVID, isn't it "the right thing to do" to not allow any employee to smoke? Shouldn't they have a mandatory BMI limit to work for United? The slope gets really slippery really quickly when you adopt the nanny mentality.

DisneyCane

GI issues always sent kids home pre-covid. And they should. Am I missing something else or do you really think it's okay to keep sick kids in school? And yes, your nephew should test just in case. Not knowing if there were close contacts or not I cannot comment if the isolation was necessary or not, but definitely for a minimum of 24 hours after symptoms resolved if negative

Kids in my district are testing positive. The friend I spoke of their kids are all testing positive. Legally our schools have to report cases. When we were getting a handful a week we are now getting that per day.

If you are implying that covid numbers aren't as bad as schools are saying I'm at a loss for words. As a parent I can tell you there likely unreported cases in our schools here. There are no inflated numbers.
I don't have an issue with him getting sent home due to the illness. I have an issue with them saying he can't come back for a week because it "could be a symptom of COVID." They didn't say he could come back if he tested negative. I don't know if they will test him or not as he didn't have any other symptom that is typical of COVID and if he can't go back to school anyway they might not think it is worth it.

My implication was specifically about the report from @sullyinMT about 25%-50% empty classrooms. Based on the cases per 100k per week, there can't possibly be that many kids simultaneously out with COVID. That would imply that the entire population was infected in less than 4 weeks.

The places with 2-3% out make perfect sense and I'm not implying those are inflated.

Heppenheimer

Even if not COVID, GI issues in kids are a very good reason to pull them out of school. COVID didn't make norovirus go away, and this disease is extremely contagious.

I would hope that vaccination against rotovirus is a requirement for most schools these days.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Even if not COVID, GI issues in kids are a very good reason to pull them out of school. COVID didn't make norovirus go away, and this disease is extremely contagious.

I would hope that vaccination against rotovirus is a requirement for most schools these days.
Isolate for a week? Nah. If the kid tests negative for Covid and his GI issues only last a day or two, the kid should be able to go to school.

correcaminos

I don't have an issue with him getting sent home due to the illness. I have an issue with them saying he can't come back for a week because it "could be a symptom of COVID." They didn't say he could come back if he tested negative. I don't know if they will test him or not as he didn't have any other symptom that is typical of COVID and if he can't go back to school anyway they might not think it is worth it.

My implication was specifically about the report from @sullyinMT about 25%-50% empty classrooms. Based on the cases per 100k per week, there can't possibly be that many kids simultaneously out with COVID. That would imply that the entire population was infected in less than 4 weeks.

The places with 2-3% out make perfect sense and I'm not implying those are inflated.
I don't have an issue with testing or not returning until 5 days have passed if not. Your nephew needs to be tested to return. Sorry but that's a symptom of covid and not testing can cause spread. Other symptoms or not, I can tell you some kids only present with GI issues per friends who had covid hit their home. Every school I know has the same policy. Send kid home for covid symptoms and test to return or stay out for x many days.

My friend, while in another state is still very close to me, is not making up the numbers. It's not an over inflated amount. It's the reality of what happens when an area with incredibly low vaccination rates mix with no mitigations during a time when spread is incredibly high. You may want to pretend it's a lie but it's not. Honestly I'm seriously done with this line of thinking. Keep digging your heels in, but minimizing is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom