Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Wait he did this last month over in Spain or Serbia no? What does that have to do with now? If he doesn't have covid, he then now has natural immunity thus has antibodies. I don't see an issue here at all? Conspiracy to not let him break Rodger and Nadals record? That's what this will turn into. Let him play. They do every other close contact sport.
This happened in mid-December, and it was followed by a false declaration on his travel form (his claim that this was the result of an innocent error rings hollow in light of his admission about the interview). Yes, the interview has nothing to do with the tournament, but I don’t think selfish liars who have no qualms about knowingly exposing others to COVID deserve to compete in such events. He had my sympathy for a while there when it seemed the Australian government was moving the goalposts, but he’s lost it all now.

Joesixtoe

This happened in mid-December, and it was followed by a false declaration on his travel form (his claims that this was the result of an innocent error ring hollow in light of his admission about the interview). Yes, the interview has nothing to do with the tournament, but I don’t think selfish liars who have no qualms about knowingly exposing others to COVID deserve to compete in such events. He had my sympathy for a while there when it seemed the Australian government was moving the goalposts, but he’s lost it all now.
Ok I get you may not like what he did. Now the question is, did he let the interviewer know? I don't know the answer. If he did, then that's between them. I still don't think that disqualifies him from competition, as it's a personal opinion of one's past actions. I don't like a lot of actions done by players, but I try and enjoy their game.

LittleBuford

Ok I get you may not like what he did. Now the question is, did he let the interviewer know? I don't know the answer. If he did, then that's between them. I still don't think that disqualifies him from competition, as it's a personal opinion of one's past actions. I don't like a lot of actions done by players, but I try and enjoy their game.
Had he let the interviewer know, I assume he would have included that information in his admission, which he hasn’t.

What you call his “past actions” happened less than a month ago and relate to an ongoing pandemic. Sorry, but personal conduct has to come into the equation at some point, and not self-isolating when you’ve tested positive is beyond the pale in my book.

Or perhaps he wasn’t positive after all (see the link below), in which case the basis of his exemption is a lie.

Either way, he has behaved with callous disregard for others and doesn’t deserve to compete.

Joesixtoe

December 9th advocating for boosters.

Now 5 weeks later they are saying boosters every 3-4 months might cause your immune system to weaken and tire the person out. Problem is the vaccine has a nice happy valley of coverage between 4-6 months. So as it's starting to become less effective, is when the booster is warranted. But the European Medicines Agency is saying that might be to soon for the body. But hey they also might be wrong. Then again this virus is relatively new and who knows who's really right. Right?

Not sure why the link says are you a robot. Also the article is sadly behind a paywall.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

Had he let the interviewer know, I assume he would have included that information in his admission, which he hasn’t.

What you call his “past actions” happened less than a month ago and relate to an ongoing pandemic. Sorry, but personal conduct has to come into the equation at some point, and not self-isolating when you’ve tested positive is beyond the pale in my book.

Or perhaps he wasn’t positive after all (see the link below), in which case the basis of his exemption is a lie.

Either way, he has behaved with callous disregard for others and doesn’t deserve to compete.

If he's lying about this, then ok i hear you. While I strongly am against what Australia is doing, If Novak is lying about a positive test then I can understand your sentiment. Although I know someone at work that tested negative 4 times but one was positive so they are now not working even though I'm told they seemed fine. Anyway I just want to see him play, it's not as fun to watch without the big 3

LittleBuford

December 9th advocating for boosters.

Now 5 weeks later they are saying boosters every 3-4 months might cause your immune system to weaken and tire the person out. Problem is the vaccine has a nice happy valley of coverage between 4-6 months. So as it's starting to become less effective, is when the booster is warranted. But the European Medicines Agency is saying that might be to soon for the body. But hey they also might be wrong. Then again this virus is relatively new and who knows who's really right. Right.

Not sure why the link says are you a robot. Also the article is sadly behind a paywall.
There’s no contradiction between the two stories. The first is about bringing forward the date of the single booster shot, not advocating for repeated boosters thereafter.

Joesixtoe

It sounds both plural and singular at the same time. The title and "While the current recommendation is to administer boosters preferably after six months, the data currently available support safe and effective administration of a booster as early as three months from completion," the European Medicines Agency's (EMA) Head of Vaccines Strategy, Marco Cavaleri, told a media briefing
Seem to imply multiple.

Joesixtoe

There’s no contradiction between the two stories. The first is about bringing forward the date of the single booster shot, not advocating for repeated boosters thereafter.
That would also mean Isreal which is on its 4th booster could be harming the individual. 250,000 thousand people in Isreal has had 4 covid shots!! In a little over a year. That's.. insane. Safe and effective though I guess. Right?

LittleBuford

It sounds both plural and singular at the same time. The title and "While the current recommendation is to administer boosters preferably after six months, the data currently available support safe and effective administration of a booster as early as three months from completion," the European Medicines Agency's (EMA) Head of Vaccines Strategy, Marco Cavaleri, told a media briefing
Seem to imply multiple.
No. It is to do with the timeframe for administering the booster shot, which was originally scheduled for six months after the second dose of the vaccine but, in the face of Omicron, has been accelerated. It has nothing to do with repeated boosters.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

That would also mean Isreal which is on its 4th booster could be harming the individual. 250,000 thousand people in Isreal has had 4 covid shots!! In a little over a year. That's.. insane. Safe and effective though I guess. Right?
The EU’s advice (which, it should be noted, is about frequent repeat boosters rather than a fourth booster specifically) has nothing to do with Israel, though. I know you’re trying to demonstrate that the same organisation is contradicting itself in the space of a few weeks, but the stories you’ve shared don’t back you up. Now, if you’d like to draw attention to differing perspectives on the need for or efficacy of repeat boosters, that’s another matter, but the “gotcha” angle isn’t accurate or productive in this instance.

Joesixtoe

No. It is to do with the timeframe for administering the booster shot, which was originally scheduled for six months after the second dose of the vaccine but, in the case of Omicron, was accelerated. It has nothing to do with repeated boosters.
Then the second article warns repeat boosters every 4 months could weaken the immune system. I can't imagine waiting 2 more months suddenly make it ok.

LittleBuford

Then the second article warns repeat boosters every 4 months could weaken the immune system. I can't imagine waiting 2 more months suddenly make it ok.
You’re misunderstanding. The first article is about the timeframe for administering a single booster shot. The second warns of the potential dangers of administering multiple repeat boosters on a frequent basis.

Joesixtoe

The EU’s advice (which, it should be noted, is about frequent repeat boosters rather than a fourth booster specifically) has nothing to do with Israel, though. I know you’re trying to demonstrate that the same organisation is contradicting itself in the space of a few weeks, but the stories you’ve shared don’t back you up. Now, if you’d like to draw attention to differing perspectives on the need for or efficacy of repeat boosters, that’s another matter, but the “gotcha” angle isn’t accurate or productive in this instance.
It's saying it's safe to administer vaccine boosters after 3 months. Isn't the UK on their 3rd booster now? So they would presumably be talking about the 3rd booster in the first article. Now the second comes out and says multiple every 4 months might be bad. I think they do relate. I just threw them out there, that's all.

Vegas Disney Fan

I was reading about T-cell exhaustion the other day and they’ve been extensively researching it for decades in regards to diseases like HIV, I’m not sure there’s been any research into potential exhaustion caused by vaccines though.

As with a lot of things regarding Covid I think the science is still trying to catch up, how could they possibly know how long antigens will last when they’ve never tested these vaccines and boosters long term? Likewise how could they possibly know if multiple boosters could cause the same type of immune exhaustion they’ve seen with repeated exposure to virus cells without testing the hypothesis? I think this is where politics is too involved, politicians want to look like they’re doing something so they are influencing scientists to make statements on science they haven’t completed yet.

It’s frustrating to get apparently contradictory information but that’s to be expected with evolving science. I don’t think it’s anything to be suspicious of but it is worth keeping up with ever evolving recommendations and also smart to look at how our immune system has reacted to previous viruses.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

I was reading about T-cell exhaustion the other day and they’ve been extensively researching it for decades in regards to diseases like HIV, I’m not sure there’s been any research into potential exhaustion caused by vaccines though.

As with a lot of things regarding Covid I think the science is still trying to catch up, how could they possibly know how long antigens will last when they’ve never tested these vaccines and boosters long term? Likewise how could they possibly know if multiple boosters could cause the same type of immune exhaustion they’ve seen with repeated exposure to virus cells without testing the hypothesis?

It’s frustrating to get apparently contradictory information but that’s to be expected with evolving science. I don’t think it’s anything to be suspicious of but it is worth keeping your eyes open and keeping up with ever evolving recommendations.
I agree, it's all so new, we should allow and expect for the science to shift and change.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In the United States, there are approximately 1000 deaths per year, as a result of electrical injuries. Of these, approximately 400 are due to high-voltage electrical injuries, and lightning causes 50 to 300. There are also at least 30,000 shock incidents per year that are non-fatal.Aug 26, 2021

My sister-in-law's boyfriend's dad works in a hospital and he says that they're declaring death by electrocution when they're really death by flying a kite or death by climbing a telephone poll. And that's because doctors get extra insurance money if they declare the death by electrocution. Do your research!!

Vegas Disney Fan

I agree, it's all so new, we should allow and expect for the science to shift and change.

The nice thing is everyone now has more of an ability to understand things than we’ve ever had before, even a normal guy like me can find dumbed down articles that explain how T cells, B cells, antigens, memory cells, and vaccines work. I’ll never understand it on the molecular level scientists do but a basic understanding makes me feel like I’m educated enough to know what the scientists are talking about.

The science in regards to Covid19 is new but the science of how our immune systems fight virus is pretty well established. The details may change for Covid but even if it turns out we can only get one booster a year (or we never need another) we will still have memory cells to fight the virus between our annual booster.

I still think it‘s a miracle they got vaccines developed so quickly and they’ve remained effective against severe disease even after several mutations. For science that’s been catching up for nearly two years they’ve been pretty accurate so far.

Last edited:

BrianLo

If the sole purpose of the passport was to achieve higher vaccination rates, then bravo.

Correct!

This is the first two lines from the B.C. government's web-page. I pulled B.C. since it was the first English Language Province to put it in place.

Starting Sept. 13, 2021, proof of vaccination will be required in B.C. for people attending certain social and recreational settings and events.

This important step will continue to increase the vaccination rate across the province and provide confidence to fully vaccinated people that those around them are also fully vaccinated.

seascape

There is really bad news from today's numbers. Florida is going up again and it now at an average of 63,801 cases a day or 297 per 100k. Hospitalizations are at 44 per 100k and deaths are 0.18 per 100k. RI by the way broke the 500 per 100k case level and is at 507 and entire US is at 229. As for NY and NJ is looks like they peaked as their cases are at 378 and 350 respectively. However their hospitalizations are at 64 and 69 and deaths are at 0.80 and 0.78 respectively, both too high.

Think about those numbers. RI had had 3.5% of their population infected in 7 days. Then think about the fact that RI is 77% fully vaccinated and since Covid19 started has had 26,894 cases per 100k as of Monday's numbers reported Tuesday. That means 27% of their population has officially had Covid19.

What went wrong? It has to be the testing and contact tracing. What happened to the contract tracing? We were all told from day 1 that those were the two most important things the government could do. They both were well funded in the first 2 emergency funding bills but it appears were completely ignored in the second half of 2021. We learned nothing and were let down by our elected leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom