Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Posters are just cherry picking data and ‘suddenly’ care about what is happening in Canada. Because for whatever bloody reason they are still anti vaccine promotion and want to live in their made up reality that encouraging vaccination is somehow detrimental. Detrimental to them, detrimental to the economy… whatever the excuse is that is not actually being borne out in Canada.

Here’s the recent data from Ontario

View attachment 613440

Lets not mention the fact that the major population centres of Canada (Ontario and Quebec) are further ahead in the Omicron wave and people are still dying at a 2.6x increased frequency rate in the US (adjusting for population) in the last seven days.
Who are you referring to specifically? Trying to remember who regularly posts on here and hasn't been supportive of vaccines specifically? I always feel like the back and forth is more about other mitigation beyond vaccines. 🤷‍♂️

BrianLo

Who are you referring to specifically? Trying to remember who regularly posts on here and hasn't been supportive of vaccines specifically? I always feel like the back and forth is more about other mitigation beyond vaccines. 🤷‍♂️

I’m defining vaccine promotion as passports to access non essential activity.

It’s the only thing thus far that is clearly evidenced based to significantly increase vaccine rates without actual mandation.

We’ve tried many other lesser measures like incentives (cash) and those do not move the meter sufficiently in the willing, but apathetic group.

maui2k7

Have there been any recent studies with randomized sampling of the population to see just what % of the US has COVID right now?

I would imagine the numbers are quite a bit higher than reported being that tests may be hard to come by and if someone is asymptomatic they are unlikely to get tested to begin with. I saw an article that with the next week or so up to 50% of Europe may have COVID (many asymptomatic).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

It’s the only thing thus far that is clearly evidenced based to significantly increase vaccine rates without actual mandation.

We’ve tried many other lesser measures like incentives (cash) and those do not move the meter sufficiently in the willing, but apathetic group.
Oh, okay understood. I know the point that myself and others have made in the past is items like vaccine passports on top of mask mandates...although they did increase vaccination rates, still did not prevent provinces from having to reimplement many lockdown measures such as no indoor dining and limiting indoor gatherings to very small numbers in an effort to deal with limited hospital capacity. So while the goal to reach a higher vaccination rate seems to have been achieved, you are still basically in the same place when it comes to mitigation any time there is a new wave.

As I have said in the past many times, I thought states and provinces should have just mandated the vaccine for all if they were already going to do the halfway stuff like vaccine passports.

mmascari

There's an entire group who is all vaccinated who are for vaccines but not for vaccines.

Like, they probably all agree that one shouldn't get sloppy drunk and walk around EPCOT, but they're not for telling people they shouldn't get sloppy drunk and walk around EPCOT. So, if some people want to get sloppy drunk and walk around EPCOT, they should be free to do that and the rest of us just need to deal with the impacts. If that means the rest of us shouldn't go to EPCOT because we don't want to deal with a sloppy drunk, that's on us.

They'll pick graphs and data to show that there's really no difference to the EPCOT experience if there's sloppy drunks walking around or not.

Having read that, how many want to get a drink now? (Not sloppy drunk, just one.) :cool:

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m not sure the data backs up your claim that vaccine passports work, New York implemented their passports in August and it barely moved the vaccination rate, it wasn’t until boosters started that rates started to increase again.

We’ve tried carrots, we’ve tried penalties, there’s just a stubborn segment that have dug in their heels and aren’t budging. I don’t think anything but a mandate will get them to get the shot, even that might not do it.
90D262EE-FB43-4C1B-A36F-B53DDAAB8B4B.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

I know many people who are vaccinated but do not believe in mandating vaccines (at least at a federal level). They believe people should be able to choose. Not my position really but I don't think it is that controversial of a stance to take.
For many like myself it’s more about setting precedent than Covid, I’ve encouraged state mandated vaccines since the beginning, because it’s historically a state right, but don’t support a federal one because the power will never go back to the states again.

Whether that’s good or bad is a valid political argument (that we can’t have here) but it’s not as simple as supporting this vaccine means we’re willing to support a federal mandate that will set future precedent.

I think Americans just love the idea of options too much, if my state goes bonkers it’s nice to know I can always move to another state that’s more sensible, and since we all have differing ideas of what’s bonkers we like states to retain their control and remain different.

lazyboy97o

I know many people who are vaccinated but do not believe in mandating vaccines (at least at a federal level). They believe people should be able to choose. Not my position really but I don't think it is that controversial of a stance to take.
But it’s not just opposition to mandates we see. Over and over we have people claiming that being unvaccinated isn’t just a choice, but a choice that should be honored and respected.

carolina_yankee

NY, NJ and FL are probably all in that peak plateau. We'll know when the peak was from hospitalizations and when it gets back low enough for the testing volume to capture the curve.

As for the testing, I don't think most people can source 2 tests per month let alone 8 so I'm not sure it matters much who will pay for them.
They were thinking we could be at peak right now at yesterday’s press conference, with hospitalizations peaking in a week or so and deaths a week or so after that. They cautioned though that with our very high positivity (30s) we could be at peak for awhile. Numbers do seems to be dropping though - two days under 25,000 and hospitalization growth slowing significantly.

There could be plenty of recovered New Jerseyans for President’s Weekend!

mmascari

I’ve said I’m fine with people making that choice, if they also make the choice to not interact with society. In my sloppy drunk example, if someone wants to do that, have at it, get as drunk as they want, try not to hurt themselves. However, don’t do it walking around EPCOT where it impacts others.

To the states vs feds, it’s not like we restrict movement between states. Which makes the issue very much interstate. Much like when drinking age was different in different states created incentives for drunk driving as people crossed the boarder to drink. Different state rules would hamper vaccine adoption as people crossed state lines to avoid it, then came back incurring the impacts anyway.

My issue is with people making the decision to extend COVID and then expecting to act like they’re not doing that. They should step up and own the decision.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They were thinking we could be at peak right now at yesterday’s press conference, with hospitalizations peaking in a week or so and deaths a week or so after that. They cautioned though that with our very high positivity (30s) we could be at peak for awhile. Numbers do seems to be dropping though - two days under 25,000 and hospitalization growth slowing significantly.

There could be plenty of recovered New Jerseyans for President’s Weekend!
Silly, you can't recover from being a New Jerseyan!

Last edited:

Incomudro

I’m similar, the first few months I only went to the grocery store once every week or two and that was about it (and everything got wiped with a Clorox wipe before it came into the house), my only other trips outside the house were for walking and riding my bike and I’d mask up to even pass another person.

Now, triple vaxxed, back at work (although at reduced hours still due to it being slow), back to taking trips, back to going to the store on a whim… I still complain that life isn’t “normal” but I’m thankful it’s 95% more normal than it was 18 months ago.

The only things that still linger from those early months is I still wash my hands as soon as I walk in the door, I now use Clorox in my normal house cleaning rather than soapy water, and I still wear a mask where it’s required. We’ve come a long way.
The similarities are amazing.
I've always wiped down shopping carts before using them - well before covid - and used hand sanitizer when I got back in the car.
Also pretty big on washing my hands when I get home.
I've never been a germophobe, I'm a guy who spent his childhood in the woods, catching snakes, fishing... Doing these things all day long.
My wife being an RN got the hand cleanliness in me when our sons were born.
They're twins, and were born two months premature.

correcaminos

I’m not sure the data backs up your claim that vaccine passports work, New York implemented their passports in August and it barely moved the vaccination rate, it wasn’t until boosters started that rates started to increase again.

We’ve tried carrots, we’ve tried penalties, there’s just a stubborn segment that have dug in their heels and aren’t budging. I don’t think anything but a mandate will get them to get the shot, even that might not do it.
View attachment 613445
Compared to other states their jump this time is way less. I can show you my state's and it looks way worse this time around. I'm far less against passports than I am mandates for vaccines

lazyboy97o

I’ve said I’m fine with people making that choice, if they also make the choice to not interact with society. In my sloppy drunk example, if someone wants to do that, have at it, get as drunk as they want, try not to hurt themselves. However, don’t do it walking around EPCOT where it impacts others.

To the states vs feds, it’s not like we restrict movement between states. Which makes the issue very much interstate. Much like when drinking age was different in different states created incentives for drunk driving as people crossed the boarder to drink. Different state rules would hamper vaccine adoption as people crossed state lines to avoid it, then came back incurring the impacts anyway.

My issue is with people making the decision to extend COVID and then expecting to act like they’re not doing that. They should step up and own the decision.
Technically the drinking age is still a state decision. The states just all fell in line when federal funding was to be withdrawn.

And since we’re also talking about New Jersey, that’s where Reagan introduced raising the age for alcohol consumption to 21.

correcaminos

The similarities are amazing.
I've always wiped down shopping carts before using them - well before covid - and used hand sanitizer when I got back in the car.
Also pretty big on washing my hands when I get home.
I've never been a germophobe, I'm a guy who spent his childhood in the woods, catching snakes, fishing... Doing these things all day long.
My wife being an RN got the hand cleanliness in me when our sons were born.
They're twins, and were born two months premature.
I'm an ickaphobe as I call it. I hate icky things touching my hands. So like in Nov I had a sweaty finger reader,I got out my santizer and sprayed my finger while vigorously wiping on my shorts. Gross...

So I always wash hands before eating or when I get home. Touching mail too since our new carrier is kind of gross with saliva per my camera. Don't ask... it icks me though

Beginning pandemic we wiped down and set packages of non perishables for 3 days in a spare room. We do none of that

I wear masks in public cuz we are supposed to. Kid wears at school cuz they're supposed to. We decided eating out is not great at the moment but when it's cold I don't care to anyway. We're almost back

But if I get one more covid school notification out of order again I'm going to scream. So sick of it. Worrying about school disruptions are real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom