Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

You could be in South Africa with a 26% vaccination rate. And that’s the bigger issue.
They're doing better than a handful of counties in my state... I'm not sure people realize how bad it is in rural regions. They didn't know 100% sure, but we're supposedly carrying some of the lowest vaccinated counties in the entire country.

Nubs70

The important point is that being vaccinated offers you a very high level of protection from severe illness. That's the thing to focus on. We will get through this, I promise. Quite when and how I'm not sure, but there's every reason to be optimistic in the long term.
Severe illnes and hospitalization.

Nubs70

If we only had some implantable chip that could measure Covid then glow when the wearer turned positive.

Call it a life crystal or something.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They're doing better than a handful of counties in my state... I'm not sure people realize how bad it is in rural regions. They didn't know 100% sure, but we're supposedly carrying some of the lowest vaccinated counties in the entire country.
Eh. Do you think rural areas are driving the spread we are seeing worldwide? Seems unlikely.

hopemax

Three reasons for the most part. One, they are supposed to know more than me. Two. I underestimated the reaction from the world. I didn’t think they would go with the same strategy as we used last winter. Three. I was naive enough to think the pills for treatment would be available by now.
But experts aren't omniscient either, and we have never done anything like this while we had modern medicine. I said before, we have sometimes have an incredible ability to do amazing things. But that doesn't mean we are amazing about everything. Sometimes we're so conservative and afraid of having to change anything that we're downright backwards. Even moderates don't want to do anything too big or potentially disruptive. Can't risk upsetting anyone; no one will listen or follow directives anyway. There is still so much we don't know about medicine and the emergence of a novel virus and it's early development. So how can we have effective solutions at our fingertips when we never had a previous opportunity to develop them? This is a complicated and serious thing, we can't just will solutions into existence. Especially not when so many people have demonstrated a lack of commitment to finding solutions. We have rewarded the people who have said this is all too hard. We need to reward progress to actually have progress. But in this country, progressive, radical thinking is a bad thing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But experts aren't omniscient either, and we have never done anything like this while we had modern medicine. I said before, we have sometimes have an incredible ability to do amazing things. But that doesn't mean we are amazing about everything. Sometimes we're so conservative and afraid of having to change anything that we're downright backwards. Even moderates don't want to do anything too big or potentially disruptive. Can't risk upsetting anyone; no one will listen or follow directives anyway. There is still so much we don't know about medicine and the emergence of a novel virus and it's early development. So how can we have effective solutions at our fingertips when we never had a previous opportunity to develop them? This is a complicated and serious thing, we can't just will solutions into existence. Especially not when so many people have demonstrated a lack of commitment to finding solutions. We have rewarded the people who have said this is all too hard. We need to reward progress to actually have progress. But in this country, progressive, radical thinking is a bad thing.
In this country? And the excuse for the rest of the world?

stop blaming the people. Blame the poor leadership throughout the world. Also, experts have been studying this type of stuff for years. It’s amazing how little they know.

lisa12000

Can I ask a question - do you have the same 24/7 doom cycle of news that we do over herein the uk? It’s 2.25am and I’m still awake as I’m doomscrolling news and I’m scared my 80 year old mum will be left alone at Christmas again (she always comes to me) as we may get banned from seeing anyone indoors again according to all our papers - the headlines scream panic with leaks from sources saying different things in every paper! My mental health is absolutely trashed again and I cant sleep and feel sick (lockdown will mean no income and my house gone)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can I ask a question - do you have the same 24/7 doom cycle of news that we do over herein the uk? It’s 2.25am and I’m still awake as I’m doomscrolling news and I’m scared my 80 year old mum will be left alone at Christmas again (she always comes to me) as we may get banned from seeing anyone indoors again according to all our papers - the headlines scream panic with leaks from sources saying different things in every paper! My mental health is absolutely trashed again and I cant sleep and feel sick (lockdown will mean no income and my house gone)
Here, we have 24/7 doomscrolling over the construction of a new E-Ticket at WDW.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
You'll find it out on Tuesday as President Biden thinks way to fighting the pandemic to the end as possible. I think the cases will go down if there is national vaccine mandate is coming to the world soon. Just hold on all right, we're gonna end this thing once and for all.

jlhwdw

Well, we're doomed for many years.

theres-nothing-quite-like-the-holiday-spirit-a-s-beginning-9590685.png

hopemax

In this country? And the excuse for the rest of the world?
The rest of the world has experience with a global pandemic like this in the era of modern medicine? For better or for worse, the US has more resources at its disposal than anywhere else. Many of the best and brightest in other countries are working here in the US, not their country. Asia implemented the lessons they learned from SARS that have kept their per capita numbers below ours. Lockdowns, closed borders, vaccine passports, contract tracing, testing and we wanted nothing to do with any of it. There is no manual for someone in any country to discover to solve this. Only with a lot of time, a lot of money, a lot of brain power and a lot of commitment. The US has a good chunk of the brain power and money but too many people want it over yesterday so it means time and commitment are nowhere to be found. What do you really expect another country to have done given that the US sucks up so much development resources in pursuit of profitable ventures?

JoeCamel

You can find it if you want to wallow in it. From this side I am hearing you will not be able to see your mum but I have nor get any real knowledge of what will happen for you.

Vegas Disney Fan

Short answer… yes.

Negative news sells. I try to stay informed but find the less news I read the better I feel. I’ve stopped watching TV news completely because not only is the news all bad but they report it in the most dramatic way possible which only adds to my anxiety.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
None of that will end the pandemic. That is what I’m interested in. The above just buys time. So what are we buying time for today? 95% worldwide vaccine rate? What’s the goal because it’s certainly not to end it.
Way to end the pandemic is GET VACCINATED, MASKED UP FOR UNVACCINATED PEOPLE AND BOOST!

Last edited:

correcaminos

Eh. Do you think rural areas are driving the spread we are seeing worldwide? Seems unlikely.
Where on earth did you get that from what I said? Wasn'teven close to implying that or even thinking it. Just the rural areas in my state have been awfuk with vaccinations. Cities are better but still pretty lousy tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom