Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

We’re doing Christmas with families this year too. Two different trips too, by car.

We’re also doing at home COVID tests the day we leave on each trip. Plus the people were visiting are doing tests too. Either that day or the day before. We figure there’s no sense just being reckless. Plus, nobody wants to accidentally doom Nana.

The $15-$25 per person seems like a good investment and cheap in the overall trip cost.

I really do wish they used some of the testing money (assuming there still is some) to just send everyone a tests every week. If everyone tested anywhere near as much the NFL or NBA we would find outbreaks way faster. Make it simple like the CO reporting indicates, allow people to just request tests every week.

WDW related, imagine if every onsite guest got a home rapid test every day. Take it in the room. Even if you just told people not to go into the park if positive. Validate it at the hotel and link to ticket if we cannot trust people. Provide some support services for people that test positive. Let them exchange their park ticket for them.
From the start and ongoing we need more testing. If we test we find it and hopefully can isolate cases until it subsides

mmascari

As soon as they were submitted to the FDA, the advisory panel and the FDA itself should have gotten into a room and been able to either approve or deny within a week. If they need to work all hours of the day to cover all necessary steps, so be it. There is no sense of urgency. Really, they should have treated this type of drug development as operation warp speed 2.

There’s statutory timelines the FDA has to follow, both for speed of review, feedback, and then how the advisory process works once it starts. Just because we don’t know more doesn’t mean more isn’t going on. Maybe the study was inadequate, maybe it didn’t work well enough, maybe there were side effects. The FDA doesn’t release most of this publicly and the company tends to only release when it’s good news.

I would bet all kinds of 30 and 90 day deadlines are occurring and it’s just not the good news we want.

JoeCamel

There’s statutory timelines the FDA has to follow, both for speed of review, feedback, and then how the advisory process works once it starts. Just because we don’t know more doesn’t mean more isn’t going on. Maybe the study was inadequate, maybe it didn’t work well enough, maybe there were side effects. The FDA doesn’t release most of this publicly and the company tends to only release when it’s good news.

I would bet all kinds of 30 and 90 day deadlines are occurring and it’s just not the good news we want.
I wouldn't hang my hat on the pills though, seems like the crowd that embraces home treatment after infection might balk knowing the mechanism it uses is similar to HIV drugs, it alters RNA replication and the trial was cut short to get the results to the FDA and the efficacy was found to be reduced after that. Seems to be a bucket of doubt for those that dabble in that

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Maybe that are really inefficient at what they do have do not act with the sense of urgency we need right now. Same with the EU agency.

the FDA advisory panel already voted to approve the merck drug. Yet. Nada. We are months out still before we will see anything of significance. Shame. Travesty really. These leaders and experts continue to let the world down. They are still a deer in headlights and it’s to the point where none of them are worth defending. They have no clue. Yet. We still depend on them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Maybe that’s where we are. Maybe masks, testing, “COVID protocols”, and other mitigations are the new normal, what comes with it now.

Don’t have to like it.
The same crap since 2020. No new ideas from the experts. It’s quite pathetic.

hopemax

I really do wish they used some of the testing money (assuming there still is some) to just send everyone a tests every week. If everyone tested anywhere near as much the NFL or NBA we would find outbreaks way faster. Make it simple like the CO reporting indicates, allow people to just request tests every week.
We found out last week that since October our state has been sending out 5 free tests a week, upon request. DH and I have our first shipments on the way, now that we found out. But it would have been nice to have had them to bring with us on this trip.

DisneyCane

Just got back from an out of state Christmas weekend with family and two things struck me…

1) I’ll NEVER skip another Christmas over Covid with my family. We aren’t as young as we used to be and I don’t know how many we have left. We are all vaccinated so it makes zero sense to skip precious time over “what ifs”.

2) The “United” States are two completely different worlds right now. My state (NV) is fairly strict with mask mandates and the pandemic is still very visible… and my families state (UT) feels like Covid doesn’t exist. It felt very odd to walk into businesses and see no masks and people packed shoulder to shoulder.

Ironically Red Utah has a higher vaccination rate (58%) than Blue Nevada (56%) but thankfully both are averaging fewer cases per 100,000 than the national average.

All I know is it was wonderful to spend time with my family after skipping last year.
This is pretty much what I've been saying since day 1. Our lives aren't that long especially when considering that many people reach an age or have health issues which shorten the "good years" even more. I've never denied COVID exists or that it kills people. I have been consistent that I don't want to waste (at the time I started saying it) a year of my life by being restricted from doing things that I enjoy.

Other than missing my 2020 trip to Vegas because it shut down and a few visits to WDW during the closure I have continued to live as if COVID doesn't exist. I got my vaccination as soon as I was eligible and my booster as soon as I was due. If I get a serious breakthrough case then it was just in the cards for me. I barely saw my Dad for the last five months of his life trying to protect my parents from COVID. Then he got at brain hemorrhage and passed. Was that somehow better because it wasn't COVID? Nope!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe that’s where we are. Maybe masks, testing, “COVID protocols”, and other mitigations are the new normal, what comes with it now.

Don’t have to like it.
I don't want this to be happen right now I don't want to wear on riding trains forever......:cry::cry::cry:

mmascari

Maybe that are really inefficient at what they do have do not act with the sense of urgency we need right now. Same with the EU agency.
We don't really know what’s going on in the details, just an incomplete picture. It could be garbage in garbage out and just inadequate details.

I’ve seen reports that’s a big difference between Pfizer and Moderna for why the Pfizer is approved and Moderna isn’t. Pfizer is just better at the regulatory, safety, and manufacturing stuff. They’ve been doing it longer.

The same crap since 2020. No new ideas from the experts. It’s quite pathetic.
It’s not like we ever really did any of those ideas correctly.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s not like we ever really did any of those ideas correctly.
or. It was just never a good worldwide strategy to get us out of the pandemic. Only to delay and buy us time to determine an actual path that will end it. They seemed to have forgotten the second part. They have no solution to end it.

EpcoTim

I'm not sure why I'm having such trouble conveying my point, which isn't at all what you seem to think it is. I'm not doubting anyone's experience of their own location. I'm saying that the explosion of Omicron-caused cases seen here in the UK and elsewhere in Europe simply hasn't happened yet in the US. That's just a statement of fact, not a matter of opinion. I'm not expecting anyone to agree with my assessment of what will (or might) happen once Omicron truly does take hold in the US, but I don't think I'm saying anything controversial by simply pointing out that variant has thus far had more of an effect on this side of the Atlantic than in the US.
How dare you bring facts, an outside view and substance into this illogical rant. The UK is nothing like the US and you don’t know anything about the US despite the fact that you live here.

LittleBuford

Vaccines are how you end wide spread of a disease.
The NYT today published a piece explaining that the vaccines that are most globally prevalent (basically those that aren't Pfizer or Moderna) probably won't prevent widespread infection from Omicron, though—and this is very important—they do still offer protection against severe illness.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So you expect 95% or more of the world to become vaccinated? No. Then vaccines alone with this virus won’t do it. Time to stop living in the past and pretending this virus is like every previous one. Time to stop pretending we aren’t an open and easily accessible worldwide society where spread happens in a heartbeat.
I know you like to be an expert on everything but sometimes its okay to admit you know little to nothing about ending this pandemic. And what’s worse…neither do the experts.

Lilofan

Anti vaxxers have been around for hundreds of years. When vaccines became compulsory in Victorian England, there were even anti vaxxers back then protesting about their personal liberty. Social media currently peddling conspiracy BS have gotten some to believe that snake oil.

hopemax

the FDA advisory panel already voted to approve the merck drug. Yet. Nada. We are months out still before we will see anything of significance. Shame. Travesty really. These leaders and experts continue to let the world down. They are still a deer in headlights and it’s to the point where none of them are worth defending. They have no clue. Yet. We still depend on them.

All I can say is that the "in the trenches" Epi, virology, immunology people on Twitter have been asking for all sorts of things this whole time, and pointing out things other countries have done in terms of testing, tracing, etc. But they don't decide where the money goes and what the priorities are. Pharmaceutical CEOs and non-medical political leaders do. And they have been acting like everyone else... this has to be all over soon, right? If we do nothing at all, now that we have vaccines, this will be all over. No point in investing in a bunch of stuff that won't be needed because this was just going to turn into a cold. People got vaccinated in May, ripped off their masks and declared they were done with COVID. Why should the money / decision guys have thought people were interested in anything else? And we don't invest in things we can't justify / sell.

If you want effective leadership, first you have to elect people who believe that government action has a positive purpose and can help. Believe that research should be funded. Not people who believe government is the problem or business managers who don't invest in things with unknown ROI. Up until 2020 very, very, very few people even believed something like this situation could happen. In 2021, very few people believed that this situation would continue to have the "bite" it has had. And once Omicron blows through people will be back to being done, and that doing anything COVID related is a waste of energy, resources, time and money.

These things require community action. But since vaccinations, people have been screaming about individual choice as the solution. I certainly haven't seen many people in this thread asking for more community action as much as I've seen people declare it unnecessary. You get what you pay for, you get what you value, you get what you support. You don't get the things that a few knowledgeable people know are necessary but can't convince anyone else about the basic need because others can't even possibly imagine any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom