Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

Any medical professionals out there? Isn't this a little late? Like closing the barn door after the horse has already gotten out.
Yes it's a little late. IMO all these things they are late to do should have been done from the start.
That’s 72 hours before. 24 hours prior to coming back makes things a bit more complicated. Whatever. Rapid PCR test I guess. We will figure it out. No choice.
Yes it does. It also makes it much more expensive. It's about $200 in Canada

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes it does. It also makes it much more expensive. It's about $200 in Canada
$800 for a family in 4 in my case. Hopefully insurance will cover it. I know the standard PCR is covered. Maybe they will accept the other rapid test that’s cheap. Who knows.

Jrb1979

$800 for a family in 4 in my case. Hopefully insurance will cover it. I know the standard PCR is covered. Maybe they will accept the other rapid test that’s cheap. Who knows.
In Canada insurance won't cover a PCR test if it's for travel

Nubs70

Nah, we have to go back to the “normal” of having people being denied medical care and more shortages.
Maybe since the world is in a new healthcare reality, we should match healthcare capacity to the new reality rather than trying to change reality to match existing healthcare capacity.

Wendy Pleakley

Flying back to the USA requires an antigen test which is in the $80 CAD range and can be done at the airport. Unless I'm mistaken.

Honestly, at this point I was there was a way to incorporate the costs of these tests into airline tickets and have them available close to at cost.

I know flying is an optional activity, but it's a pricey addition especially for families.

hopemax

Maybe since the world is in a new healthcare reality, we should match healthcare capacity to the new reality rather than trying to change reality to match existing healthcare capacity.
Do you have some sort of plan to ramp up graduates? Because that’s part of the problem with RNs… the educational opportunity.

“ According to AACN’s report on 2019-2020 Enrollment and Graduations in Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs in Nursing, U.S. nursing schools turned away 80,407 qualified applicants from baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs in 2019 due to insufficient number of faculty, clinical sites, classroom space, and clinical preceptors, as well as budget constraints. Almost two-thirds of the nursing schools responding to the survey pointed to a shortage of faculty and/or clinical preceptors as a reason for not accepting all qualified applicants into their programs.”

In order to ramp up healthcare, we’re gonna need to ramp up higher education first. And that takes time, money and resources. I don’t have a problem with that, but I don’t have confidence in the rest of America. And it won’t happen overnight.

Lilofan

In Canada insurance won't cover a PCR test if it's for travel
Same for my family member here in USA. PCR test here and destination in Europe is $200 per test / per person for his business trip . He was going to expense it to his company. I've never heard insurance covering these costs due to business / leisure travel. His trip currently is postponed per his company due to Omicron concerns.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I guess I've been lucky with these vaccines. I've had both Pfizer vaccines (no booster yet) and both shingles vaccines that were done during the COVID vaccines, while following recommended waiting periods between each one. The only side effects I've had was a sore arm the next day or so. I'm glad I got the shingles vaccine thing out of the way. I had chickenpox when I was a kid and I've heard shingles is not something I would want to deal with now.
You've faired well. My friend advised me he didn't get the shingles vaccine but got the covid vaccines. He ( early 50s) got a very bad case of shingles and the lasting pain effects in one part of his body skin area lasted a little over 3 months. It may not be the norm but I'm not taking any chances since there were reports that 1 in 3 over the age of 50 get shingles .

James J

In the Parks
No
Flying back to the USA requires an antigen test which is in the $80 CAD range and can be done at the airport. Unless I'm mistaken.

Honestly, at this point I was there was a way to incorporate the costs of these tests into airline tickets and have them available close to at cost.

I know flying is an optional activity, but it's a pricey addition especially for families.

Correct, it doesn't have to be a PCR test. We've got at home antigen tests to do the evening before we fly from the UK to the US which are accepted, they just have to be observed via a telehealth consultation. Then if it's a negative test we'll get a verified result and fit to fly certificate within 3 hours. They cost us £27 each, which is about $36.

Lilofan

Correct, it doesn't have to be a PCR test. We've got at home antigen tests to do the evening before we fly from the UK to the US which are accepted, they just have to be observed via a telehealth consultation. Then if it's a negative test we'll get a verified result and fit to fly certificate within 3 hours. They cost us £27 each, which is about $36.
Travel to Israel , PCR test 72 hours before flying , then landing in Tel Aviv take another PCR test, quarantine and wait to be advised by Tel Aviv staff on the results .

James J

In the Parks
No
That's a nice laid back area to visit but currently it is jacket or sweater temps not exactly wearing beach attire getting a suntan on the sand weather. Enjoy SC!
Thanks! Yeah I was disappointed to find out it wouldn't be shorts weather and actually be close to the current temperature in the UK, but it'll be good to have a chilled out time visiting the in-laws nonetheless.

lazyboy97o

Denied as a precaution. Not a necessity. Just to clarify.
Sure, if you ignore when it was happening out of necessity. Florida running out of ECMO machines is a weird precaution.
And how do you propose to do that right now? Is there a storage room somewhere full of doctors and nurses? Are people who have retired or left the field going to be compelled to return to work?

Tony the Tigger

Do you have some sort of plan to ramp up graduates? Because that’s part of the problem with RNs… the educational opportunity.

“ According to AACN’s report on 2019-2020 Enrollment and Graduations in Baccalaureate and Graduate Programs in Nursing, U.S. nursing schools turned away 80,407 qualified applicants from baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs in 2019 due to insufficient number of faculty, clinical sites, classroom space, and clinical preceptors, as well as budget constraints. Almost two-thirds of the nursing schools responding to the survey pointed to a shortage of faculty and/or clinical preceptors as a reason for not accepting all qualified applicants into their programs.”

In order to ramp up healthcare, we’re gonna need to ramp up higher education first. And that takes time, money and resources. I don’t have a problem with that, but I don’t have confidence in the rest of America. And it won’t happen overnight.
Yep. My spouse has been in an accelerated nursing school program since August of last year, scheduled to graduate in February.

Last semester, they went through 3 different instructors, all with different styles and rules. It was a mess, and most of the class were failing at the end until they re-graded some test scores on a curve.

Until recently, this school trained other medical professionals, but not nurses. They added that program hastily, and I don’t have much confidence in it. But DH’s 401K is tied up in the tuition, and I’ve heard from other nurse friends that you learn more on the job, anyway.

ETA: he just had to go get tested for and take as necessary ALL vaccines - from flu to tetanus and everything else - in order to do clinical studies in hospitals.

Heppenheimer

Any medical professionals out there? Isn't this a little late? Like closing the barn door after the horse has already gotten out.
I think this move is more about keeping non-US citizens out of our hospitals than anything else. Travelers coming in really aren't going to add much to the already circulating viral pool. Its a tiny drop in the ocean. But a foreign citizen with no travel health insurance, if they end up in a US hospital, can be a logistical and financial nightmare to manage, particularly for a disease like COVID that is so time and resource intensive.

I worked at Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center for a few years, which is less than a mile from the Rainbow Bridge crossing point into Canada. Getting the Canadians that would ocassionally end up in our hospital back across the border with proper disposition and follow-up arranged was extremely difficult. And this was for a country right next door where English is one of the official languages, and one so close that we could have literally pushed them across the border on a gurney. You'd think there'd be long-established protocols for this situation, but you'd be wrong... Now, imagine trying to medically repatriate someone to, lets say, Botswana.

Nubs70

And how do you propose to do that right now? Is there a storage room somewhere full of doctors and nurses? Are people who have retired or left the field going to be compelled to return to work?
By starting the process of adding to Healthcare facilities. Increasing available seats in nursing programs. I hope you do realize that there is a severe shortage of available seats in nursing schools. By which, to be accepted Into nursing school, one needs to have a better GPA than one needs to get into med school.

Nubs70

The problem with lack of preceptors is the accreditation process. To be accredited, preceptors must be masters prepared. There are a lack of masters prepared RN's. According to to the accreditors, it is better to have a preceptor with a Masters and ZERO experience than a Bachelor's and 25 years experience.

Worthwhile solutions take time and planning, nothing meaningful is "shovel ready".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom