Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

Hospitalizations have reached their highest since January here in the New Mexican desert.
1638488762074.png

Deaths went up a couple months ago and seem to be flat, have to wait and see if they increase in turn with the hospitalized. We were early leaders in vaccinations, that fell off, supposedly we're pretty well off in boosters, but it's not slowing down this increase in cases and hospitalizations at all.

correcaminos

Quoting myself. Also reading that while hospitalized cases are going up, the cases being treated aren't as severe as previous waves. That is positive! But of course will still fill hospitals.
It could. I'm still not as worried about this one yet. I am hoping that even with relatively low vaccination rates in my area it might be enough to keep hospitals not overwhelmed. We're up and down with Delta still but some areas were much harder hit due to lower vaccination rates. Mine wasn't drowning at least. I hope it is more mild and less severe reasons to hospitalize so no one gets over run.

Which one moved?

Not the target date, those all moved, they were never the goal. Which thing was done, but then ignored and a new goal instead?

The date is going to keep changing until we achieve the thing needed. Don’t achieve it, goal not met, new prediction for a date we’ll really meet the goal now.
what is the goal? That the problem. COVID is never going away.

Did we ever hit the first goal post? Seriously curious if you think so. Maybe I just live in a lousy place with vaccinated rates and lack of low cases but I'm not sure we got close here recently.
One of the early goals was to get to 70% vaccine coverage then all would be good.

TalkingHead

One of the early goals was to get to 70% vaccine coverage then all would be good.

Not “all would be good.”

From the article: “While the milestone is a significant achievement for the nation, it should be seen as a floor, rather than a ceiling, especially as the highly contagious delta variant spreads, health experts say.”

Nubs70

That's quite interesting. Last night, we were driving along I-93 in NH looking for a non-McDonald's option for a quick bite to eat. There were very few choices open on a Wednesday night. I knew the pandemic was likely the reason, but I also chalked it up to living in a relatively sparsely populated region of the US. But if the I-95 corridor is having trouble staffing, that's a whole different ballgame.
Suburb of the 2nd largest city in Michigan.

Friday night 21:00, I go to pick up some tacos at Taco Bell - closed, Wendy's - closed. KFC - closed, McD's - closed. Ended up driving 10 miles down the road to a BK.

mmascari

what is the goal? That the problem. COVID is never going away.
The goal has always been the same, to reduce community spread to an acceptable level. Then to keep it there. For whatever definition of acceptable works for you.

All the rest is side effects. Reduce deaths, reduce hospitalization, reduce long term health issues. They all depend on the level of community spread going on.

70% vaccination was interim goal, not the goal. Only so much as getting there would then reduce community spread. When the virus changed, it wasn’t a good interim anymore, replaced with needing more.

It’s like winning a game. The goal is to win. Scoring points is an interim step, necessary to win, but it’s not enough. Just because you score doesn’t mean you’ve won if the opponent scores more.

EPCOT-O.G.

I've been to WDW 3x and DL 1x during COVID. We bailed on an AK visit in July due to Delta surge.

I would not be scheduling a trip now under these circumstances.

DisneyCane

Thank you, bigger jump than I expected to 59 per 100k.
The county data is messed up. Through earlier today every county in FL showed 0 cases per 7 days. I think we've got to wait until next week for it to flesh itself out.

I don't see how it is mathematically possible for FL as a whole to be at 46.4 cases per 100k per 7 days but most of the big counties are back over 50 (well over in some cases).

I guess it could be the state level number that is wrong but I don't see how both can be correct. I think Thanksgiving weekend is making the data somewhat meaningless until a few more days have passed.

JoeCamel

Then Delta happened and now Omicron is happening. The goal is to stop people getting sick and if they do that it will be minimal. The underlying goal is to reduce spread before it mutates to something more deadly and infectious. It looks like we dodged a bullet with omicron being less deadly but the next may not be.
All measures will help with vaccination being the most bang for our buck and masking and distancing helping. Not hard, not complicated just another brick in the wall.

lazyboy97o

Then Delta happened and now Omicron is happening. The goal is to stop people getting sick and if they do that it will be minimal. The underlying goal is to reduce spread before it mutates to something more deadly and infectious. It looks like we dodged a bullet with omicron being less deadly but the next may not be.
All measures will help with vaccination being the most bang for our buck and masking and distancing helping. Not hard, not complicated just another brick in the wall.
Nah, we have to go back to the “normal” of having people being denied medical care and more shortages.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Hopefully the pandemic will finally be over soon.

correcaminos

RoadiJeff

Covid booster when I got it was a piece of cake to me. After getting my first shingles vaccine last night and the next one in 2-6 months to complete the vaccine, I feel like getting knocked out in a 15 round boxing match feeling dizzy, painful and sluggish. This sucks.
I guess I've been lucky with these vaccines. I've had both Pfizer vaccines (no booster yet) and both shingles vaccines that were done during the COVID vaccines, while following recommended waiting periods between each one. The only side effects I've had was a sore arm the next day or so. I'm glad I got the shingles vaccine thing out of the way. I had chickenpox when I was a kid and I've heard shingles is not something I would want to deal with now.

Jrb1979

DisneyCane

I think I'm going to get my Moderna booster tomorrow. Not looking forward to a repeat of of side effects but I hate being sick even with a cold and dread losing my sense of taste or smell so it'll minimize my chances of those things. I'm a little over 7 months from shot #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom