Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Bull!
The vaccine was being wasted due to poor uptake.
We can speculate on the reasons for the poor uptake and probably assign blame but they have to find a way to get shots in arms or we will have this happen for a long time.

JoeCamel

What exactly are you calling bull?

We needed to do more to share the Vaccine with developing countries.
The claim the blame for the variant is based in the rich countries. SA manufactured vaccine yet have less than 35% vax'ed with vaccine spoiling and the SA government cutting new orders because it is going to waste. Blaming the west is making a false villain

JoeCamel

Several medical experts with extensive knowledge of the matter are quoted. I have no reason to dismiss their perspectives.
Did you read the statement?

"Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College, emphasised there were additional complexities around B.1.1.529, as South Africa had excess vaccine stocks that it could not use due to vaccine hesitancy. Research has suggested the problem is larger among white adults, with one study from August revealing just over half were willing to receive a Covid jab compared with about 75% of black adults."

Latch onto what you want but it is false to place the blame on the west.

LittleBuford

Did you read the statement?

"Danny Altmann, a professor of immunology at Imperial College, emphasised there were additional complexities around B.1.1.529, as South Africa had excess vaccine stocks that it could not use due to vaccine hesitancy. Research has suggested the problem is larger among white adults, with one study from August revealing just over half were willing to receive a Covid jab compared with about 75% of black adults."

Latch onto what you want but it is false to place the blame on the west.
I don’t share things I haven’t read.

This isn’t just about South Africa. It’s about making the vaccines as freely and widely available throughout the world as possible. Much more can and should have been done in this regard.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the name chosen from the WHO - Omicron.

"The World Health Organization on Friday assigned the Greek letter Omicron to a newly identified Covid variant in South Africa.

The U.N. health agency recognized the strain, previously referred to as lineage B.1.1.529, as a variant of concern.

Health experts are deeply concerned about the transmissibility of the Omicron variant given that it has an unusual constellation of mutations and a profile that is different from other variants of concern."

"What do we know so far?

South African scientist Tulio de Oliveira said at a media briefing on Thursday that the Omicron variant contains around 50 mutations, but more than 30 of these are in the spike protein, the region of the protein that interacts with human cells prior to cell entry.

What’s more, the receptor binding domain (the part of the virus that first makes contact with our cells) has 10 mutations, far greater than just two for the delta Covid variant, which spread rapidly earlier this year to become the dominant strain worldwide.

This level of mutation means it most likely came from a single patient who could not clear the virus, giving it the chance to genetically evolve. The same hypothesis was proposed for the alpha Covid variant.

Around 100 Omicron variant genomes have been identified in South Africa, mostly in the Gauteng province. The variant has also been detected in Israel, Botswana and Hong Kong.

Many of the mutations identified in the Omicron variant are linked to increased antibody resistance, which may reduce the effectiveness of vaccines and affect how the virus behaves with regard to inoculation, treatments and transmissibility, health officials have said.

“I believe that it is better to ‘go hard, go early and go fast’ and apologise if mistaken, than to take an academic view that we need to reach a tipping point in evidence before action is taken. Rapid spread in South Africa could be due to super-spreader events or other factors. But there are sufficient red flags to assume the worst rather than hope for the best — and take a precautionary approach,” Peacock said."

Here is the full statement from the WHO -

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bull!
The vaccine was being wasted due to poor uptake.
We can speculate on the reasons for the poor uptake and probably assign blame but they have to find a way to get shots in arms or we will have this happen for a long time.
It’s actually both…failure to uptake and not moving fast enough overseas.

it’s absolutely rampant in Africa and Southeast Asia…

but we can’t get anything done…

the country with a finger in 90% of the worlds business has to fight with 40% of their adult population to get their heads out of their for almost a year.

it’s just taking too long to have this be “less of an issue”

everyone does realize if a resistant strain gets out we are resetting the dial and going back to home sitting again, right?

…just checking

Last edited:

Lilofan

the country with a finger in 90% of the worlds business has to fight with 40% of their adult population to get their heads out of their *** for almost a year.

it’s just talking too long to have this be “less of an issue”

everyone does realize if a resistant strain gets out we are resetting the dial and going back to home sitting again, right?

…just checking
Those pesky facts are too real and upsetting..

Chip Chipperson

the country with a finger in 90% of the worlds business has to fight with 40% of their adult population to get their heads out of their *** for almost a year.

it’s just talking too long to have this be “less of an issue”

…just checking

The sad part is that the same people who ignored any mitigation rules/recommendations since March 2020 and refuse to get vaccinated are the same ones who will refuse to follow any mandates the next time around should they become necessary - and will use the need for those mandates as "proof" that they don't work or that the whole thing is a years-long international hoax/conspiracy.

Gringrinngghost

The White House said the U.S. will restrict travel from South Africa and seven other countries in the region beginning Monday. It did not give details except to say the restrictions will not apply to returning U.S. citizens or permanent residents, who will continue to be required to test negative before their travel.

Vegas Disney Fan

The sad part is that the same people who ignored any mitigation rules/recommendations since March 2020 and refuse to get vaccinated are the same ones who will refuse to follow any mandates the next time around should they become necessary - and will use the need for those mandates as "proof" that they don't work or that the whole thing is a years-long international hoax/conspiracy.
I don’t think it’ll be limited to anti-vaxxers protesting if they try to enact tough mandates again.

Putting harsh mandates in place again would be political suicide for whoever did it.

My booster is set for Monday (we control what we can control) but beyond that life goes on and we live it as normal as possible.

Disney Analyst

We absolutely do…the danger is letting everyone fend for themselves

but I’m not sure if relates to this SA problem

It doesn't. SA is a disaster. I say this as someone who's partner is South African, thus my inlaws are South African, and although we are all in Canada, they are still very connected to SA with family and friends.

You thought it was bad in the US. The conspiracy and anti-vax folks are RAMPANT in SA. I don't know how you will ever get that country vaccinated...

Chip Chipperson

I don’t think it’ll be limited to anti-vaxxers protesting if they try to enact tough mandates again.

Putting harsh mandates in place again would be political suicide for whoever did it.

My booster is set for Monday (we control what we can control) but beyond that life goes on and we live it as normal as possible.

I'm just talking about the worst-case scenario with this new strain. IF (and it's a big "if" at this point) it's bad enough to take us back to Spring 2020 while we wait for the vaccines to be updated, approved, distributed, and stuck in arms then I think people will fall mostly along the same lines as before. I'm already seeing it on social media as people are already declaring the new strain to be more proof of a hoax because it's just "too coincidental" that it's been discovered shortly after the Pfizer vaccine was given EUA for kids 5-11. I saw it today from a childhood friend who has fallen so far down the conspiracy rabbit hole (and is egged on by his own family) that he's become a total stranger. I'm talking "angrily posting conspiracy memes while his kid's in the ER" level of depth down the rabbit hole. People like that won't be swayed and won't do anything to try to help make things better if there ever is a truly worse variant that gets us back to or near Square 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom