Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Nationwide if the number is 43 X reported that means about 10% of the population have been infected. That also means the R-naught is likely much higher than originally thought. Not measles high, but we aren’t getting to herd immunity as easily.
It would also mean that the mortality rate is around 0.1% like the flu.

And, if it held true in the NYC metro area then 65% or more of the population has already been infected. Assuming there is immunity for some length of time, that area would be getting close to herd immunity even with a higher Ro.

Polynesia

It would also mean that the mortality rate is around 0.1% like the flu.

And, if it held true in the NYC metro area then 65% or more of the population has already been infected. Assuming there is immunity for some length of time, that area would be getting close to herd immunity even with a higher Ro.
I just read an article on Sun Sentinel that claims Florida has had this virus running rampant way longer than was originally thought. There were exceptionally high pneumonia deaths reported this flu season and many may have been covid. That could explain why Florida is peaking so early. On the plus side I’m hoping this means that the hot spots like New York and possibly Florida wouldn’t get hit as heavy if a second wave comes.

DisneyDebRob

China’s cases are going back up as they slowly try and open up. Granted they say it’s mostly from imported cases. I don’t believe many things coming out of China so I’m guessing there are many more and also the percentage of imported cases probably is lower. They are worried about the second wave it looks like.

Polynesia

China’s cases are going back up as they slowly try and open up. Granted they say it’s mostly from imported cases. I don’t believe many things coming out of China so I’m guessing there are many more and also the percentage of imported cases probably is lower. They are worried about the second wave it looks like.
I read something about more cases on the Russia/China border and that was shut down. It would make sense that when you let people travel to other countries or even hot areas in our country that more cases could pop up when they go back home.

Kristoff

Every ride? I had heard here earlier that they would have them for headliners in MK and tier 1 fast pass rides everywhere else.

This is where I think Fastpass is going to hurt them. Before Fastpass, the non-tier A rides might have a 20 or 30-minute wait with relatively low crowds so controlling would be much easier. Now that everything is Fastpass, even the tier B or C rides get 40+ minute waits. Sure, you may not need to wait 2 hours in line with people on SDMT, but instead, you wait for 45 with people on PoC, which doesn't seem much safer. I almost think they need to do everything as a boarding group or significantly alter how people get in lines for non-boarding group attractions.

DisneyCane

If they aren't lying, 100 or so cases a day in a country of 1.4 billion is pretty low. While technically true that it increased slightly, I would hardly categorize it as "going back up."

DisneyCane

This is where I think Fastpass is going to hurt them. Before Fastpass, the non-tier A rides might have a 20 or 30-minute wait with relatively low crowds so controlling would be much easier. Now that everything is Fastpass, even the tier B or C rides get 40+ minute waits. Sure, you may not need to wait 2 hours in line with people on SDMT, but instead, you wait for 45 with people on PoC, which doesn't seem much safer. I almost think they need to do everything as a boarding group or significantly alter how people get in lines for non-boarding group attractions.
So turn off fastpass temporarily and do boarding groups for everything. You can only join one boarding group at a time.

DKampy

Disney could be on point to opening on June 1st. If the IMHE model is accurate. Granted it won’t be the parks...but under the 1st phase Disney Springs could open as long as they can guarantee social distancing in their stores and restaurants. Plus so could the resorts...our hotels are still opened in Wisconsin as that is considered an essential business. Just might need to lower the prices quite a bit. Depends what Disney would want to do.

easyrowrdw

Right, every single update of that model for the past month has been significantly downward. I hope that trend continues,

Mostly, but not all of them. Some have seen increases and then later decreases. Some states (Massachusetts being a big one, I think) have seen projections rise.

ImperfectPixie

Mostly, but not all of them. Some have seen increases and then later decreases. Some states (Massachusetts being a big one, I think) have seen projections rise.
MA is a peak resource usage today with peak deaths in 2 days...if the prediction is accurate (which I'm not sure it is).

jinx8402

Disney could be on point to opening on June 1st. If the IMHE model is accurate. Granted it won’t be the parks...but under the 1st phase Disney Springs could open as long as they can guarantee social distancing in their stores and restaurants. Plus so could the resorts...our hotels are still opened in Wisconsin as that is considered an essential business. Just might need to lower the prices quite a bit. Depends what Disney would want to do.

I don't know how many people would keep a Disney reservation without any parks open. I guess some still could, but what do you do with them in various resorts? I know in WDW pro's post, he has said that one plan is to only initially open the mk area resorts. Do you just bump everyone up without charging them more? Interesting to think about what they would do.

UNCgolf

So turn off fastpass temporarily and do boarding groups for everything. You can only join one boarding group at a time.

That would probably be worse unless the number of people in the parks was severely limited. Where are you going to put all of the people who are waiting for their next boarding group time? They'd all be congregating in the same few areas and really destroy any chance of social distancing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t see how that would work. Let’s say I get to MK at 10am and book a boarding group for Splash Mountain but I didn’t arrive at rope drop so I‘m in boarding group 60 and they are on 10 right now. If BGs on all rides and I can only do 1 boarding group at a time then I just have to wait around until my group is called. Let’s say that happens at 3PM. So now I’ve been in the park 5 hours and haven’t ridden a ride. After I ride Splash and all seems right with the world I go to book another boarding group and all of the headliners are gone for the day. I could probably get one for another ride or 2 but it’s not going to be possible to do a lot of rides in a day.

I think boarding groups could work for a select few rides but it would be messy for all rides. The other question is do they still allow FP+? If so that means very limited boarding group capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom