Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disney4life2008

Florida Universities are closed for face to face instruction through fall 2020. It's a safe bet that Disney will be closed indefinitely. Though, June 1 is amv
A couple of notes that have come my way.

Still talking about a best case scenario of early June, worst case of late September opening.

Phased reopening with MK first, Epcot last.

Some of the hydraulic systems in attractions are being drained for periods of extended non-operation.

There is little to no upkeep of the parks taking place, so it will take some time to get things show ready.

Pretty much every project that can be stopped has been stopped and will remain stopped for the foreseeable future.

If they do phased openings will that impact the ticket price?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's a logical statement, but the evidence doesn't really bear it out. Several of the most-traveled airports are in cities without a significant number of cases.
I agree. It’s not the air travel itself it’s the people going to other countries that spread it. At first we mistakenly thought it was a China problem so screened then shut down flights from China only but based on the 2 independent studies done in NY almost all of the cases they studied came from Europe not China. It’s playing Monday morning quarterback, but if we shut down all international travel much sooner we may have avoided as large an outbreak. That’s why I think international flights will be the last thing to come back. There are some pretty large areas in the world that are not highly impacted right now but there’s no guarantee they won’t turn into hot spots. Plus if you are one of the less impacted countries would you want a bunch of Americans coming in? We are the world leader right now in cases.

peter11435

Tron has already gotten so far that it would be difficult to just put it on hold... Who really knows how far Guardians has gotten since the majority of activity is inside a building closed from view. If they haven't gotten the actual steal work completed they could probably pay a penalty to the company producing the track and structure to get out of the contract and just sit on the project for as long as they wanted since the area is concealed from view... it will really depend on whether they see it costing more to complete vs more to just put it on hiatus. I don't think see Epcot as being a park they will really be that focused on until they can come to grips with the recovery of MK.
Guardians is relatively on par with Tron.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Guardians is relatively on par with Tron.
I hope they do finish both. In theory since both projects are ”off to the side” they could put construction on hold for a while and not have too much of an impact on the rest of the parks. Hope that doesn’t happen.

The Mom

Premium Member
That's a logical statement, but the evidence doesn't really bear it out. Several of the most-traveled airports are in cities without a significant number of cases.

I agree - there are other factors in play. Population density and use of public transportation come to mind. Atlanta is a major airport with lots of international flights, but it's pretty hard to live in the area without a car, so most people who can afford one, have one. That is not true of Manhattan.

MaximumEd

I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything, but this just seems really dumb.

Odds are that the parks will never see a shutdown like this again in our lifetime. Why not use this time to get ahead of the game? Crews can work normal hours and all of the time spent keeping construction areas "show ready" is no longer necessary. They could have quite literally moved every refurb in the parks to this shutdown period and reopened like a brand new park.

Because you don’t spend a ton of money when you’re literally bleeding massive cash daily and your business model is upside down for potentially months and months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree - there are other factors in play. Population density and use of public transportation come to mind. Atlanta is a major airport with lots of international flights, but it's pretty hard to live in the area without a car, so most people who can afford one, have one. That is not true of Manhattan.
Very true on mass transit. Very large cities like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas are not nearly as heavily impacted but they have huge, very active airports. They also have less mass transit than typical East coast large cities or a city like Chicago. I can only imagine how easy it would be to spread on the subway and there’s no way to social distance there.

thomas998

Just because you are the busiest airport doesn't mean that most of the people using the airport end up in the city where the airport resides. Some airports like Atlanta and DFW are known more as hubs because large carriers use them as central points for their airlines like Delta in Atlanta or AA in DFW. Those two are big hubs are also known for lots of international travel by those carriers which means lots of people are brought into them and then shuffled right back out somewhere else. But you can be assured that people traveling in airports are being exposed, even if the deciding factor on what cities will be impacted rests with where those travelers actually end up. I never said that cities with airports would have lots of infections only that when people use airports that they will be exposed and infected.

thomas998

Because you don’t spend a ton of money when you’re literally bleeding massive cash daily and your business model is upside down for potentially months and months.
Other reason is they only have a certain number of people that are on the maintenance crews, you couldn't expect to use a CM that was trained to wear a pooh costume to suddenly become a painter. If they wanted to refurb all the rides while they were shut down they would have had to have undertaken a huge hiring of workers and that was never going to happen during a lockdown for a nonessential business.

John park hopper

I agree. It’s not the air travel itself it’s the people going to other countries that spread it. At first we mistakenly thought it was a China problem so screened then shut down flights from China only but based on the 2 independent studies done in NY almost all of the cases they studied came from Europe not China. It’s playing Monday morning quarterback, but if we shut down all international travel much sooner we may have avoided as large an outbreak. That’s why I think international flights will be the last thing to come back. There are some pretty large areas in the world that are not highly impacted right now but there’s no guarantee they won’t turn into hot spots. Plus if you are one of the less impacted countries would you want a bunch of Americans coming in? We are the world leader right now in cases.
True infections on the west coast came from China and cases on the east coast came from Europe but remember those cases originated in China.

lazyboy97o

Tron has already gotten so far that it would be difficult to just put it on hold... Who really knows how far Guardians has gotten since the majority of activity is inside a building closed from view. If they haven't gotten the actual steal work completed they could probably pay a penalty to the company producing the track and structure to get out of the contract and just sit on the project for as long as they wanted since the area is concealed from view... it will really depend on whether they see it costing more to complete vs more to just put it on hiatus. I don't think see Epcot as being a park they will really be that focused on until they can come to grips with the recovery of MK.
The coaster is largely installed. The track had been stored on property. Even then, the way coasters are sold doesn’t really make this possible. The park buys the track but it is the responsibility of the buyer to pick it up, transport it and install it so a coaster track is paid for well before it is installed.

thomas998

The coaster is largely installed. The track had been stored on property. Even then, the way coasters are sold doesn’t really make this possible. The park buys the track but it is the responsibility of the buyer to pick it up, transport it and install it so a coaster track is paid for well before it is installed.
I worked for a company that rely extensively on the steel industry and you sign the contracts for the steel parts well in advance of when you are scheduled to receive them, but don't pay until later. It isn't uncommon to cancel order and simply pay a penalty so long as the finished steel hasn't been constructed yet. The companies that provide the coaster don't care if they deliver the coaster parts or not as long as they get a certain amount of profit. So if the manufacturer making the track hadn't finished the track or received all the steel they needed it would be relatively easy to cancel the order and pay a fee to the manufacturer. Where I used to work we did this more than once when things changed and a large project became unprofitable before it was completed.

lazyboy97o

I worked for a company that rely extensively on the steel industry and you sign the contracts for the steel parts well in advance of when you are scheduled to receive them, but don't pay until later. It isn't uncommon to cancel order and simply pay a penalty so long as the finished steel hasn't been constructed yet. The companies that provide the coaster don't care if they deliver the coaster parts or not as long as they get a certain amount of profit. So if the manufacturer making the track hadn't finished the track or received all the steel they needed it would be relatively easy to cancel the order and pay a fee to the manufacturer. Where I used to work we did this more than once when things changed and a large project became unprofitable before it was completed.
Again, the coaster is manufactured and then picked up by the buyer. Once you pick it up, it is already yours. There is very little overlap between delivery and assembly which is why almost every steel coaster ends up sitting in a nearby field before being assembled.

peter11435

He’s telling you how coaster production and purchase works.

Well before it was being installed the coaster track was purchase paid for and on site.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
You can use Marta as an option, 😆 But seriously, I think I built up such a strong immune system because of everything I was exposed to in the last few years.

Lilofan

Down in the subway system in NYC waiting for your train is not for the faint of heart. You smell and stand on top of the sweat, grime, dust, and sometimes urine on the subway platform. And no AC or heat to make you anywhere near comfortable. NYC residents are the toughest people I know.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Down in the subway system in NYC waiting for your train is not for the faint of heart. You smell and stand on top of the sweat, grime, dust, and sometimes urine on the subway platform. And no AC or heat to make you anywhere near comfortable. NYC residents are the toughest people I know.
Yeah, please come try Marta out, because it's quite possibly the most disgusting transit system I have ridden on in my travels for work, I also live here and use it daily. The stuff that I have seen...I mean on a daily basis is enough for me wo write a series of novels. :joyfull:

The Mom

Premium Member
A report I recently read on Yahoo news about the infections in NY indicated that China may NOT have been the source of the strain in NY. It might actually be an earlier strain, which was reported in cases in NY going back to October. They may share a similar genome, but the mutations are different than what was reported in Washington. There is still a lot of research happening and I expect we will continue to get more refined details on the type of virus, source and rate of mutation in the coming weeks/months.

Please provide a link to a reputable medical source. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom