Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John park hopper

Do you still have the link? I haven't found it and must have missed it when you posted.

While it is possible that we acted just in time, my opinion is that it is unlikely. The volume of travel between China and the USA prior to the ban makes it highly unlikely that only one infected person came in on January 15th. If it is as contagious as reported and there are as many asymptomatic (and contagious) cases as speculated it makes no sense that a large scale outbreak didn't start until mid March. There had to be at least hundreds of infected people that traveled from China in early January.
No proof --IMO it started earlier

Seanual757

think back at previous WDW vacations and now think how you could stay away 6ft from people at all times? I don't see how that is possible in any way all day.

it is sad for all the theme parks... at some point we have to get back to normal even before a complete vaccine...hopefully we'll have plenty of works drugs soon to help fight the virus and then it would be more like the flu

Disney last month NO Disney going forward Yes and trust me they can and will. It can be done it need be it will be done. Even if that means limited capacity. I fully expect with the exception of the APH folks who are local, attendance will be down for the remainder of the year. This will help Disney work things out. But rest assured things will be done the best as they can to protect guests as much as they can. They will also have to rely on folks having common sense too.

This is why I believe when they do open they will limit the for the 1st few weeks to resort guests only.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I want the Disney parks to open as soon as possible. I don’t want to see them make changes to the experience that negatively impact my experience. Those 2 wants may directly contradict each other. In order to get the parks open there are going to need to be some changes. Possibly major changes. Even if it’s not possible to stop infected people from coming in and not possible to follow full social distancing there is going to be a need to at least make an attempt at it.

Lilofan

Disney last month NO Disney going forward Yes and trust me they can and will. It can be done it need be it will be done. Even if that means limited capacity. I fully expect with the exception of the APH folks who are local, attendance will be down for the remainder of the year. This will help Disney work things out. But rest assured things will be done the best as they can to protect guests as much as they can. They will also have to rely on folks having common sense too.

This is why I believe when they do open they will limit the for the 1st few weeks to resort guests only.
I don't agree with resort guests only but if a company can pull it off it would and will be Disney. We just need to pack a lot of patience because business will continue in the "modified" Disney way.

rowrbazzle

The problem that you will have is that once you relax the lockdown and people start moving about freely again the virus will pick right back up where it left off. Until you have a vaccine you can't stop the spread especially when so many people can be asymptomatic with it. Remember that in some cases a person was shown to still be carrying the virus over 30 days after they stop showing symptoms from having it. So right now there are people with it and by the end of the April assuming they aren't dead they will very likely still be capable of infecting others. It only takes a couple of infected people in any city to start the whole thing over again.

I would be shocked if large gathering places were allowed to be opened in May. Frankly I see no way you could justify opening amusement parks until there is a vaccine... or until we reached the point where an overwhelming majority of the people had already contracted the virus.

Things picking right back up where they left off seems like the worst case scenario. Many people will have already had the virus and shown symptoms plus those that have had the virus but, as you say, were asymptomatic. I expect people will be more cautious as well. We will also have a healthcare system that presumably has more resources than they did when this started and is more prepared to deal with the cases that are present. That's to say nothing of potential medicinal approaches to treat those with the virus.

None of these is a cure-all or even a given. But each seems like a potential mitigator against a repeat of what we've seen over the last month. At least that's what I'm hoping.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You’ll have to tell that to the owners of this very site...

"Ideas being floated..." Are not the same this as "plans." Would this be the same people who encouraged gatherings of large crowds the last weekend they were open?

So, what are they going to do? Are they going to only let in 500 guests and have Virtual Queuing for Dole Whip?

(I'll use 'guest' to mean an individual or a family or a traveling unit, such as two friends.)

Can the restaurants make the profit they're supposed to with such a reduced seating?

No enclosed spaces? So, no HM, Enchanted Tales, any theater shows (which all have small holding pen lobbies).

How do you even have a queue in any attraction while maintaining the distance? And what do you do when the guest behind you moves into your space and you have no where to go except to invade the space of the person in front of you?

So each guest get their own boat in PotC or IaSW because of distancing?

And even for the omnimovers, if the guests were 6 feet apart, they couldn't arrive fast enough to fill all the vehicles.

Such distancing would put filling rides at 25% of their capacity. Watch Peter Pan be a constant 3 hour wait with the line stretching all the way to BTMR.

Whoever in Disney was floating around how to do social distancing while being open was not, shall we say, not in a right frame of mind.

Last edited:

Lilofan

With my big fat stimulus check I am going to rent MK for my own private party ---for about 30 seconds (it's a joke)
On a whim I asked a cast member several years ago who worked at the Beauty and Beast show at DHS when we saw it, how much would a private show cost ? She told me $30K.

peter11435

"Ideas being floated..." Are not the same this as "plans." Would this be the same people who encouraged gatherings of large crowds the last weekend they were open?

So, what are they going to do? Are they going to only let in 500 guests and have Virtual Queuing for Dole Whip?

(I'll use 'guest' to mean an individual or a family or a traveling unit, such as two friends.)

Can the restaurants make the profit they're supposed to with such a reduced seating?

No enclosed spaces? So, no HM, Enchanted Tales, any theater shows (which all have small holding pen lobbies).

How do you even have a queue in any attraction while maintaining the distance? And what do you do when the guest behind you moves into your space and you have no where to go except to invade the space of the person in front of you?

So each guest get their own boat in PotC or IaSW because of distancing?

And even for the omnimovers, if the guests were 6 feet apart, they couldn't arrive fast enough to fill all the vehicles.

Such distancing would put filling rides at 25% of their capacity. Watch Peter Pan be a constant 3 hour wait with the line stretching all the way to BTMR.

Whoever in Disney was floating around how to do social distancing while being open was not, shall we say, in a right frame of mind.

Skipping rows on boat rides and skipping vehicles on omnimovers is absolutely possible. Running attractions at severely reduced capacity is doable if park attendance is significantly reduced too. Some attractions can be open with altered operations. Those small holding areas in attractions like Mansion and Tower of Terror can be bypassed or utilized with significantly less guests.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Skipping rows on boat rides and skipping vehicles on omnimovers is absolutely possible. Running attractions at severely reduced capacity is doable if park attendance is significantly reduced too. Some attractions can be open with altered operations. Those small holding areas in attractions like Mansion and Tower of Terror can be bypassed.
Disney is good at thinking out of the box similar to these ideas.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All of that is, of course, ridiculous. This whole thing is ridiculous. I can’t believe we’re discussing Disney not allowing a family in for a fever, and that somehow refunding their ticket and then giving them a free ticket for a future visit is gonna make up for it. Who is gonna pay for their next airplane ride? How is Disney gonna make up for the time they took off work for nothing? Will people sue if they get sick at Disney? Probably. That already happens. But people are also going to sue if they’re not allowed into the park because of a fever and they’re later proven to not have covid-19.

Sorry - this line of logic fails for every other reason you could be denied service somewhere. No one is responsible for what you did before or how you got there.

Seanual757

I don't agree with resort guests only but if a company can pull it off it would and will be Disney. We just need to pack a lot of patience because business will continue in the "modified" Disney way.

I just think that is the best way to work out the kinks and details, guests are on property you can limit who is coming in via the magic bands, it's a good test pilot program. Not to mention you will have limited guests on property it's easier to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom