Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crunchie9

I love the attitude that most of the illness isn’t even severe.. it’s long term effects are not known because it’s NOVEL. NOVEL meaning never seen before and there is no cure.

also, your mild symptoms can easily transmit to someone else who ends up in ICU. That’s what makes this virus so dangerous..
It sometimes doesn’t feel like it’s that bad, but given to the wrong person it’s a death sentence.

the ultimate selfish act.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crunchie9

I love the attitude that most of the illness isn’t even severe.. it’s long term effects are not known because it’s NOVEL. NOVEL meaning never seen before and there is no cure.

also, your mild symptoms can easily transmit to someone else who ends up in ICU. That’s what makes this virus so dangerous..
It sometimes doesn’t feel like it’s that bad, but given to the wrong person it’s a death sentence.

Attachments

• E12C452B-C752-4F29-AC1C-72C605D4F4E2.png
    E12C452B-C752-4F29-AC1C-72C605D4F4E2.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 178

Runnin'Gator

During crisis or national emergency Chief executive enjoys, effectively, absolute powers. Chief executive acts as an agent for the US as a whole under these circumstances.
Chief may imprison without trial, suspend habeas corpus doctrine or order curfew at will.
Chief has the constitutional power.
The suspension of the Writ of Habeas Corpus can only been done in the event of invasion or insurrection.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you guys want to shake your normalcy bias and get down to the cold hard facts the New England journal of medicine (it’s medical experts peer reviewed journal) no fluff no partisan messaging. Just facts and knowledge.

https://www.nejm.org/
Always good to get the facts out. I think what people are clinging to is the stat from the attached that around 85% of patients had symptoms not considered severe. People hear that and think it’s not too bad, but 15% having severe symptoms is much higher than flu and those at high risk can always get a flu shot further reducing their risk.

One thing of note from the earlier discussion:

The most common symptoms were fever (43.8% on admission and 88.7% during hospitalization) and cough (67.8%). Diarrhea was uncommon (3.8%).

Diarrhea is uncommon so stop buying TP ;)

your mild symptoms can easily transmit to someone else who ends up in ICU. That’s what makes this virus so dangerous..

The same can be said for flu. You may just get sick and feel generally crappy for a week but you could pass flu on to someone who dies. The big difference is we could all get flu shots to stop the spread while no vaccine exists yet for corona. People should think about this when they decide not to bother to get a flu shot every year.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Watching the Palm Beach EMS streaming. Apparently a case in WPB now. I'll reserve judgement. But with the people they got speaking - you don't exactly get the feeling they got things under control.

Runnin'Gator

Lincoln used it extensively during the Civil War
And in that case the northern states viewed the action of the southern states as an insurrection. The South also briefly invaded the North at Antietam and Gettysburg.

There is nothing in the US Constitution that provides the president with "emergency" powers. Even the prohibition I mentioned is found in Article I, not Article II. The executive's powers are pretty limited and mostly confined to military and diplomatic matters, as well as enforcing the laws passed by Congress.

disneygeek90

I’ve noticed some small things near me too. Wawa had large tubs of wipes next to each ordering screen. I also noticed signs in various bathrooms. You really shouldn’t need a sign to tell you to wash your hands but if this gets people to do it then maybe it’s the silver lining.
All sanitizer at my local publix is out, as well as the complimentary wipes for grocery carts. I didn’t notice and hand sanitizer stands at HS this morning, though there were some at springs yesterday.

DisneyGigi

All sanitizer at my local publix is out, as well as the complimentary wipes for grocery carts. I didn’t notice and hand sanitizer stands at HS this morning, though there were some at springs yesterday.
Being a germaphone, I always have hand sanitizer mini sizes in my purse, anywhere- but did notice Sam’s did not have the huge pumps at the checkout this weekend. They always have those, for years.

techgeek

To anyone that feels themselves prompted to type "______ would never happen because...", please step back for just a moment and take a look at the long list of amazingly unbelievable things that have already happened in this developing situation. They may not have happened to you personally, or in your town / state / country, but they are happening.

I just flipped through the first couple pages of this thread. They did not age well.

DisneyCane

Long term effects? What are the long term effects of any respiratory illness once you are cured? It is a novel coronavirus, not a whole new never before seen category of virus. There are coronaviruses that cause common colds.

As for the transmission of a mild case to somebody vulnerable, that is true of the flu as well although apparently worse with COVID-19. The solution is to test people with mild symptoms so that they know to stay away from elderly people if they test positive. The solution is not to disrupt the world economy.

South Korea is doing a ton of testing and data from there will capture many more of the mild or asymptomatic cases. The serious illness and mortality rate in South Korea will present a more accurate picture of the actual rates of this virus.

For active cases, South Korea currently has only 0.5% serious/critical cases. So far they've had fatalities in 0.68% of confirmed cases. The fatality rate will likely increase somewhat as the recently detected cases "age." Regardless, data from South Korea indicates that this virus is "worse" than the flu but it isn't 10 times worse like some predictions.

Even in the US, listen to Governor Cuomo talk about the cases in New York. Obviously, he is no friend of the current administration. Even he is pleading for calm and stated that only a handful of the nearly 100 cases in New York were hospitalized. If the media reported the flu like this every year, you'd think the world was ending also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flugell

Am new to this site but have been following the thread for a few days. My husband, a diabetic aged 71 and myself a large lady aged 62 are due at All Star Sports, Orlando at the end of June for a three week stay following on from 3 weeks in a villa where we hope to visit the other Florida theme parks. I know that no amount of wondering or worrying can change the future but am a little confused as to why there has been no discussion of a likely outcome if there is a confirmed case of Coronavirus 19 at on of the Disney Hotels. We have been at Disney for 2 hurricanes and were fine but unimpressed with their attitude to guests.! We were given a torch, told to sort out our own food and drink but not to leave the hotel grounds and then not to leave the room. Self isolation for fourteen days in such circumstances would be impossible! Would Disney have the staff to deliver food and drinks to rooms and as we have paid for a dining plan would we be able to choose? Though I appreciate choosing would be the least of our worries! Does anyone have any sensible and non hysterical ideas about what might happen, please?

Crunchie9

ImperfectPixie

Am new to this site but have been following the thread for a few days. My husband, a diabetic aged 71 and myself a large lady aged 62 are due at All Star Sports, Orlando at the end of June for a three week stay following on from 3 weeks in a villa where we hope to visit the other Florida theme parks. I know that no amount of wondering or worrying can change the future but am a little confused as to why there has been no discussion of a likely outcome if there is a confirmed case of Coronavirus 19 at on of the Disney Hotels. We have been at Disney for 2 hurricanes and were fine but unimpressed with their attitude to guests.! We were given a torch, told to sort out our own food and drink but not to leave the hotel grounds and then not to leave the room. Self isolation for fourteen days in such circumstances would be impossible! Would Disney have the staff to deliver food and drinks to rooms and as we have paid for a dining plan would we be able to choose? Though I appreciate choosing would be the least of our worries! Does anyone have any sensible and non hysterical ideas about what might happen, please?
I don't think it's very likely that you'll be quarantined in a Disney resort.

Crunchie9

Who has said it is going to "magically" go away in a month?

Long term effects? What are the long term effects of any respiratory illness once you are cured? It is a novel coronavirus, not a whole new never before seen category of virus. There are coronaviruses that cause common colds.

As for the transmission of a mild case to somebody vulnerable, that is true of the flu as well although apparently worse with COVID-19. The solution is to test people with mild symptoms so that they know to stay away from elderly people if they test positive. The solution is not to disrupt the world economy.

South Korea is doing a ton of testing and data from there will capture many more of the mild or asymptomatic cases. The serious illness and mortality rate in South Korea will present a more accurate picture of the actual rates of this virus.

For active cases, South Korea currently has only 0.5% serious/critical cases. So far they've had fatalities in 0.68% of confirmed cases. The fatality rate will likely increase somewhat as the recently detected cases "age." Regardless, data from South Korea indicates that this virus is "worse" than the flu but it isn't 10 times worse like some predictions.

Even in the US, listen to Governor Cuomo talk about the cases in New York. Obviously, he is no friend of the current administration. Even he is pleading for calm and stated that only a handful of the nearly 100 cases in New York were hospitalized. If the media reported the flu like this every year, you'd think the world was ending also.
One can hope we respond the way SK has, Iran, on the other hand, is having a much more difficult time, and the medical personnel don't have access to PPE anymore.

It's not so much the 3.4% CFR as it is the max capacity the health care systems have. If we blow the surge capacity people will die waiting to get into the hospital to get the proper treatment. That is the risk.

Also Oil is currently trading at 32.12 at this moment.

ALSO - Countries don't shut down provinces for the flu. The world is watching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom