Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Where can I read this commerce clause that you refer to that enumerates all of these powers? The constitution only says:

"To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;"

The constitution doesn't refer to the surgeon general, isolation zones or any such thing.

The federal law that you refer to can be read here:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...010-title42-chap6A-subchapII-partG-sec264.pdf

Some pertinent quotes:

"The Surgeon General, with the approval of the Secretary, is authorized to make and enforce such regulations as in his judgment are necessary to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the States or possessions, or from one State or possession into any other State or possession."

"(1) Regulations prescribed under this section may provide for the apprehension and examination of any individual reasonably believed to be infected with a communicable disease in a qualifying stage and (A) to be moving or about to move from a State to another State; or (B) to be a probable source of infection to individuals who, while infected with such disease in a qualifying stage, will be moving from a State to another State"

None of this would allow a lockdown of a City by the Federal Government or creation of an isolation zone in that context unless everybody inside the city was infected. If there were 50,000 infections in Miami, it can not be argued that the 400,000 uninfected are probable sources of infection to individuals who will be moving from a State to another State. The 50,000 infected would qualify and they could be ordered to be quarantined but the quarantine isolation zone can not be the City of Miami.

You conveniently left out a section.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...011-title42-chap6A-subchapII-partG-sec264.pdf

Please refer to: § 267. Quarantine stations, grounds, and anchorages

This is a really dumb conversation. There is more than enough info out there for you to research yourself. I'm done with this.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Pence met with the airline and cruise line execs. The "B" word was not used. Apparently they discussed deferring some tax, thinking it may lessen the financial blow a bit.

I guess the reasoning is - that coming into the Spring/Summer months, the warmer weather will reduce the instances (as it does with the flu), then it becomes a race to find a vaccine before the season pops back up.

John park hopper

Forget dollars and bitcoins the next currency traded will be squares of toilet paper. That's my last post on toilet paper I'm wiping the seat i mean slate clean.

Last edited:

Poly1974

image.png

DisneyCane

You conveniently left out a section.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg...011-title42-chap6A-subchapII-partG-sec264.pdf

Please refer to: § 267. Quarantine stations, grounds, and anchorages

This is a really dumb conversation. There is more than enough info out there for you to research yourself. I'm done with this.

You are either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstanding the words in the section. A quarantine station is an area to hold people who need to be quarantined. You don't quarantine people with uninfected people. Making an entire city into a quarantine station or quarantine ground would be exposing uninfected people within the quarantine area.

A quarantine is to prevent people infected with a disease from spreading it to uninfected people. Locking down a city that contains both infected and uninfected people is not a quarantine. It would effectively be the opposite of a quarantine as you'd be forcing uninfected people to remain in the same area as infected people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are either intentionally or unintentionally misunderstanding the words in the section. A quarantine station is an area to hold people who need to be quarantined. You don't quarantine people with uninfected people. Making an entire city into a quarantine station or quarantine ground would be exposing uninfected people within the quarantine area.

A quarantine is to prevent people infected with a disease from spreading it to uninfected people. Locking down a city that contains both infected and uninfected people is not a quarantine. It would effectively be the opposite of a quarantine as you'd be forcing uninfected people to remain in the same area as infected people.
Legal or not that will never happen in this country. It’s really an academic debate on legality. The federal government may suggest people avoid traveling to certain cities or states that are more highly impacted but even that won’t be mandatory. No way will they lock down whole cities or states. How would you even enforce that? Sending in law enforcement or national guard would only increase the number of infected.

DisneyCane

Legal or not that will never happen in this country. It’s really an academic debate on legality. The federal government may suggest people avoid traveling to certain cities or states that are more highly impacted but even that won’t be mandatory. No way will they lock down whole cities or states. How would you even enforce that? Sending in law enforcement or national guard would only increase the number of infected.

I agree with you on that even if it was legal. The whole "discussion" started when I was pointing out that some of the criticism of Federal Government response in the US was unfounded because the responses that it is being compared to like China or Italy simply can't be done in the United States.

Not having adequate testing available when the outbreak began in the US is a valid criticism and the CDC needs to answer for this failure so that it doesn't happen with a future, potentially more serious outbreak.

Lilofan

A lockdown of a city and the city afraid to police the area because of possibility of infection is a crook's most perfect scenario.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with you on that even if it was legal. The whole "discussion" started when I was pointing out that some of the criticism of Federal Government response in the US was unfounded because the responses that it is being compared to like China or Italy simply can't be done in the United States.

Not having adequate testing available when the outbreak began in the US is a valid criticism and the CDC needs to answer for this failure so that it doesn't happen with a future, potentially more serious outbreak.
They have drive thru testing in South Korea now. There’s no good excuse for why it took so long to expand testing in the US. It’s not too late to ramp up and catch up but history will not look back at the start of this kindly. That damage is done.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A lockdown of a city and the city afraid to police the area because of possibility of infection is a crook's most perfect scenario.
If everyone is home it’s not the ideal time to rob, plus local police would be locked down as well with not much to do. The best scenario for a crook would be if people left their homes like a barrier island in a hurricane. Maybe just get the manifest from a cruise ship and rob those people while they are trapped on the ship;)

IanDLBZF

First the Diamond Princess, then the Grand Princess, now THIS! The Regal Princess is now being tested for COVID-19! This doesn't just impact Disney, but seems like Princess Cruises and other Cruise Lines are going to feel a big impact.

Josh Hendy

They have drive thru testing in South Korea now. There’s no good excuse for why it took so long to expand testing in the US. It’s not too late to ramp up and catch up but history will not look back at the start of this kindly. That damage is done.
Unfortunately some governments flat-out lie about what testing they're doing. In my country (not USA) during the SARS scare a government minister went on TV to say that fever-detecting machines were already installed and screening incoming air passengers ... one of my relatives worked in the relevant ministry and told me ... "complete BS".

I don't know about actual testing being done in S Korea or any other country, but I think there is reason to believe that in certain countries, certain politicians and other officials are prone to tell lies and exaggerate about how much testing and quarantining are actually being implemented. Not to mention lying about other numbers such as number of cases, number of deaths etc. in order to make themselves look more competent than they really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom