Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

So, can you understand why some people, who have been doing this 3-4 weeks may start to feel a bit cooped up? Where I'm at, they just announced stay-at-home orders until May 20th. So now people have another six+ weeks of this. People will continue to get antsy and feeling like what you just described
Not disagreeing at all. Some will feel cooped up and want to go. I get it. For me it’s what we have to do. I have no problem keeping myself busy. Do I want to go out? Am I feeling cooped? Of course but that’s when I need to buckle down in my head and just do it. For me I tell myself it’s until July. This way anytime sooner I’m a happy guy. Don’t know if that would work for anyone else but it puts me in a place in my head that I need to be.

John park hopper

As any vet who has been sent off some where to fight will tell you god how I longed to be home-- no chance of that until your tour was up. Being confined to my house for however long is a cake walk compared to my 1 year tour in Vietnam. I have little sympathy for those complaining about being requested to stay at home for the duration of this. my last 2 cents on the subject

Last edited:

orlandogal22

As any vet who has been sent off some where to fight will tell you god how I longed to be home-- no chance of that until your tour was up. Being confined to my house for however long is a cake walk compared to my 1 year tour in Vietnam. I have little sympathy for those complaining about being requested to stay at home for the duration of this. my last 2 cents on the subject

My father was in the U.S. Army - a helicopter crew chief in Vietnam.

Thank you for your service!

ImperfectPixie

PeoplemoverTTA

Thank you for your service. 🇺🇸

My father-in-law also served in Vietnam. And although he passed away in 2016, I have heard his voice in my head many times since this situation began. I suspect his feelings would align very much with yours.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
So many millions have sacrificed so much for the greater good throughout history. Being asked to stay at home and spend time with your family should NOT be seen as asking too much.

Potentially losing your job as a result is a massive sacrifice. Let's not discount that and the reality some people are looking at knowing they may have some difficulty finding a job in one of the worst job markets of all time, if not the worst.

Rimmit

Here is some food for thought.

About 50-55 million civilians and military died during WWII due to direct military conflict (many more died from famine and disease) The current population of the world is about 7.8 billion at this time. If everyone was infected and we presume the death rate to be 0.7 percent (which is lower than current estimates) about 54,600,000 people will die or basically the number of military conflict deaths from WWII.

Now, let’s say that you had the ability to
offer all the people who lived through that time the opportunity to stop the war after the invasion of Poland and avoid the war altogether. They would in essence save nearly all those 54,600,000 lives. The trade off is that they would have to shut down the world economy for at least 3-4 months. People would have to shelter in place during that time as well. They would have to endure 5-6 years of rebuilding their economy from the devastation of 3-4 months of a total economic shut down. To make this simply about the lives lost and not about the subsequent destruction during WWII, any destruction and looting that occurred would still take place as well but it would just take place over 3-4 months instead of over 6 years.

Which would they vote for? Which would you vote for? Any people on this forum live through WWII or serve during that time? Which would you pick? Would you vote for economic destruction to save 54,000,000 lives or just let history run its course?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Here is some food for thought.

About 50-55 million civilians and military died during WWII due to direct military conflict (many more died from famine and disease) The current population of the world is about 7.8 billion at this time. If everyone was infected and we presume the death rate to be 0.7 percent (which is lower than current estimates) about 54,600,000 people will die or basically the number of military conflict deaths from WWII.

Now, let’s say that you had the ability to
offer all the people who lived through that time the opportunity to stop the war after the invasion of Poland and avoid the war altogether. They would in essence save nearly all those 54,600,000 lives. The trade off is that they would have to shut down the world economy for at least 3-4 months. People would have to shelter in place during that time as well. They would have to endure 5-6 years of rebuilding their economy from the devastation of 3-4 months of a total economic shut down. To make this simply about the lives lost and not about the subsequent destruction during WWII, any destruction and looting that occurred would still take place as well but it would just take place over 3-4 months instead of over 6 years.

Which would they vote for? Which would you vote for? Any people on this forum live through WWII or serve during that time? Which would you pick? Would you vote for economic destruction to save 54,000,000 lives or just let history run its course?

How many lives are you attributing to the result of said economic depression? Honestly asking. Because it's not an all or nothing scenario of "all of these lives will now be saved by this action". There are other lives that will end up being lost for a myriad or reasons. Plus, you know, the Nazis still doing what they did.

ImperfectPixie

Potentially losing your job as a result is a massive sacrifice. Let's not discount that and the reality some people are looking at knowing they may have some difficulty finding a job in one of the worst job markets of all time, if not the worst.
Oh, I realize that. I'm one of them, and my husband may be as well once this is over with.

ETA: I should add that we will NOT be able to keep our home on one income.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

I imagine that yes, being home is a cake walk compared to a tour in Vietnam. I know what option I would choose every day of the week. For some, it's not a request though. For many, they're now home without a job, without enough income to survive, and with a bleak outlook for quite some time. There are many more who know that the tenuous ground underneath their feet could very quickly vanish and they're left in that same predicament. It's one thing if you know on the other side everything will be good to go. It's a completely different story if you know the life you once had, the job and security you felt, are gone and there are millions that will be competing for the very same job that you once had.

seascape

So... people warning of this wasn't sensationalism after all, eh, @seascape ?
I said MSNBC should not run a story on food shortages because it could lead to a run on food and actual food shortages. The fact that it is possible that we could actually run out of food is obviously true since MSNBC, CNN and Fox have all called for a complete down of the economy. CNBC and Fox Business that have told the truth that the country can't survive a long shut down. Again, the media reporting that we may run out of food is only increasing the likelihood of it happening. As I said when this all started, the cure to Covid19 can lead to more deaths than the actual disease and this story proves that is very possible.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom