Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

We shall see. Early studies are pointing a finger at one major sporting event as a big reason behind some of the spread. Time will tell, but it doesn't look great.

That was mentioned earlier and it seems like the travel to Italy and the stay in Italy could be the more likely source of the spread than the stadium.

Jwink

A decision to exercise caution in the wake of a virus causing a worldwide pandemic is better than a decision to through caution to the wind and hope its ok. People will not do what's in their best interest, they will do what provides them with immediate gratification. Stories of people going on about their daily lives when being told to stay at home proves that.
But it comes at a cost. 125,000 homeless families. There aren’t going to be enough jobs to go around ... my husband has already applied for 7 but there are 3 million or something crazy unemployed in Florida currently

Logan L

I am thinking along the lines of an opening anywhere from early June to the beginning of July. To say any longer, is just unrealistic. The park’s will be open in some shape or form by then. At first I thought that the people who said a June or July opening were out of their minds. In fact, if you look at the scientific evidence, it all points to that or later. I firmly believe that now. All of The people booking fall trips need to take into account that this is probably going to resurge in the fall. Dr Fauci said that he is ”Almost positive“ that it will resurge. It probably won’t be as bad because we will know how to treat it better. There is still a possibility that the parks may close again in the fall this year until things calm down then. We had a trip scheduled on April 28-May 5. We scheduled that before Coronavirus was even a thing. We then rescheduled to the first weekend in May, but we realized that that too was not going to happen. As of now, we have not rescheduled a trip yet, but we are looking to go shortly after the parks fully open. Am I betting June first, no. I think a more realistic estimate would be around the 14th of June. Phased opening for Florida residents who are AP’s May happen before then. Theme parks along with bars and restaurants will probably be lower on the list to open up the soonest. I think Disney is trying to open up the soonest they can, when they deem it safe. People saying that Disney is not going to open until the risk of contracting COVID-19 is zero, clearly don’t understand that if that were to happen, then Disney would never open up again. Even if there is an effective vaccine for this virus, that doesn’t mean that there is zero risk of contracting it. It is here, and it is staying for the foreseeable future.There is Also NO way on earth that Disney could sanitize and clean all commonly touched surfaces in their parks. Think about it, there is safety restraints, lap bars, ride vehicles, touchscreens, kiosks, restrooms, tables, doors, the list could literally be a mile long. There is also no good way that they could keep people 6 feet apart. Restrooms, entering and exiting the park, and biggest of all, lines and attraction queues. They can’t have virtual queues for every ride and line. The people that are waiting would still have to be somewhere, and that place is the rest of the park, along with everyone else who is there. That brings another issue, park capacity, they would have to reduce park capacity down to 30-40% of what it normally is to be effective. Even if they were open, most people would want to just hold out until it is fully and really open. That is why it is not opening in the next 5-7 weeks. I think that they would have to do a soft opening of some sort like mentioned above. Some things look good on the drawing board, but they May not always work. They aren’t just going to wing it, and that is why a soft opening is necessary to Ensure the safety of the guests and cast members. Again these guidelines could and probably will change in between now and the time June rolls around. Trust me, I want the parks to open, like really really Bad, but I don’t want them to risk anyone’s health, safety, or life. These next few weeks before and after the peak are crucial to having anything start to open up. But in the meantime, the country must open up and Disney will open up. If they do close, and a trip is booked then, waiting until 2021 is probably a better idea. This could also affect the holiday crowd, making that time less crowded.

Jwink

The government is providing relief. $1,200 per person in a one time check plus if unemployed on average $1,000 a week from unemployment covers almost anyone’s basic needs. People will riot if they can’t buy food or are removed from their homes. That’s not happening. All of the stuff talked about is averages and typical situations. I understand that not everyone is made whole by the government assistance but it takes the masses to rise up not the exceptions. I know it’s hard for small business owners but again, not the typical demographic to take to the streets and riot. I agree people will be unhappy. I agree they will complain about it to anyone that listens. I don’t see those same people taking to the street to riot. Just my opinion, O could be wrong.
Not $1000 here 😩 plus it’s taxable income so you have to take taxes on yourself... so $875 -$150 ($725) we are used to about $1400 a week on average with OT and the second job. It’s over $1000 a month difference. I wish he could get unemployment from both jobs 💔

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don’t think we’ll be seeing parades for quite some time.

If you think it's because of crowding, then guess what? The park won't be open either. You can't avoid crowds with several thousand people. Is every family going to get their own car on the monorail? Only 100 people at a time on the ferries? Only 15 people per bus? Only 25% occupancy of all restaurants?

Nubs70

We shall see. Early studies are pointing a finger at one major sporting event as a big reason behind some of the spread. Time will tell, but it doesn't look great.

And about 2 weeks after the first college spring breaks, all hell is about to break loose east of the Mississippi. Coincedence??

Disstevefan1

I saw another post on these boards where the patient went in for a checkup and contracted Corona from the visit to the Dentist.

As for the procedure you speak of, if this is removal of wisdom teeth, there seems to be a new push by dentists to talk folks into removal of wisdom teeth even if there is no problems; that it's better to get them out now so you won't have any problems 10 years from now they say.

I know of horror stories of folks having wisdom teeth out for no other reason other then it was recommended by the dentist, and had multiple problems including cracked jaw bones etc...

Unless you are dying in pain because of abscess stay away from the dentist until Corona is gone.

WallyWorld

Not $1000 here 😩 plus it’s taxable income so you have to take taxes on yourself... so $875 -$150 ($725) we are used to about $1400 a week on average with OT and the second job. It’s over $1000 a month difference. I wish he could get unemployment from both jobs 💔

Weren't you just recently asking about how to book a cheap cruise? I'm confused.....

Clamman73

I saw another post on these boards where the patient went in for a checkup and contracted Corona from the visit to the Dentist.

As for the procedure you speak of, if this is removal of wisdom teeth, there seems to be a new push by dentists to talk folks into removal of wisdom teeth even if there is no problems; that it's better to get them out now so you won't have any problems 10 years from now they say.

I know of horror stories of folks having wisdom teeth out for no other reason other then it was recommended by the dentist, and had multiple problems including cracked jaw bones etc...

Unless you are dying in pain because of abscess stay away from the dentist until Corona is gone.
I think I remember back as a kid the dentist not even wearing gloves.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hear you. FL sucks for unemployment. The national average is around $400. It is taxable just like your regular earnings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
None of these stories prove that the church service/gathering was the source of the spread. People who attend church tend to mingle with each other, dine with each other afterwards, etc.

I am hoping that a scientist who studies infectious disease spread will design simulations or experiments to show the actual mechanics of transmission in various settings. There is no way that one person sitting around a handful of people is going to be able to infect half the attendees. In a church setting, if that one person is interacting with a large percentage and greeting them/mingling with them at various times then it would be possible.

A movie theatre or sports arena does not have the same type of interaction between attendees. If a single person in a 20,000 seat arena could infect a large percentage of the crowd at the event then the whole world would have it by now. If it spread that easily, the whole population would have been infected before any government could react at all. Every passenger on every flight with a single case would have been infected and they would have spread it to huge swaths of their community.

Even on the Diamond Princess, only 20% of the passengers were infected and that is with the cruise ship petri dish environment. Since Japan tested all of the passengers, that is the true number of infections.
Two words...holy water;)

I actually heard reports that churches were removing the holy water right at the start of all this. Many also did away with shared wine, shaking or holding hands during mass and Eucharist by mouth direct from the priest. It’s still a lot of people sitting together likely closer than 6 feet apart.

Nemo14

I need to laugh.

Biggest Decision right now: "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" vs a "Best Of" including Lumberjack, Dead Parrot, Argument Clinic, Spanish Inquisition, and Cleese jumping the Channel and eating a cathedral.

1585615350304.png

Come on, admit you thought of @PhotoDave219 when you saw that!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

RobWDW1971

That is massive. I hope people are reporting that when this is all said and done, of how social distancing and the stay at home orders worked and the impact of them.
Since you don't have a consistent control group, it will just all be speculation. The other side will make the same impossible to prove argument that these efforts didn't do anything meaningful.

Nemo14

Yes. And we also got the Record - a Boston Paper. It was a folio set-up, so better for reading while eating my soup at lunch.
Remember when we used to go home for lunch?
Yes, and it was usually Campbells' Chicken Noodle or Vegetable. Somehow she fed the whole flock of us with just 2 cans!

Disstevefan1

Two words...holy water;)

I actually heard reports that churches were removing the holy water right at the start of all this. Many also did away with shared wine, shaking or holding hands during mass and Eucharist by mouth direct from the priest. It’s still a lot of people sitting together likely closer than 6 feet apart.

I am puzzled by this, in the church in the town I grew up in made shared wine and Eucharist by mouth optional decades ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom