Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbunit

Nope, unfortunately.

The craziest part is both the orthodontist and the dentist stressed how important it was to have them removed right away. I have xrays with circles on them and explanations of the damage being caused. I understand that I can say “oh we can just do more orthodontic work to correct it later on”... but the fact is, it’s going to be messy until that point, and it’s going to require a lot more work than if the problem baby teeth were removed.

Im sure someone will say “at least you’re not dying”, but it still stinks. There’s a lot of effects from these closures on so many levels, many that will have a long term impact in all different sorts of situations.

Dentist here...I think all offices around the country have been mandated by their state governments to stop all elective care and can only treat emergencies (meaning, pain and swelling etc). While your dentist and orthodontist's assessment is spot on regarding the need to remove your child's teeth in order to avoid more complex orthodontic treatment later, your child isn't in any pain or distress and the extractions are not essential to alleviate any acute symptoms. Meaning they can be delayed with little recourse in his immediate well being. Bare in mind a lot of dentist's and especially their staff (assistants) are very unnerved right now regarding this virus because it is easily transmitted through aerosol. Guess which profession holds the biggest occupational risk to contract COVID-19? Dentists essentially can be working in a COVID-19 minefield with every patient they treat without knowing it.

On that note, dentist's are now concerned about the long term ramifications that COVID-19 can potentially have on their dental practices from multiple standpoints including the safety of themselves and their staff and patients as well as future impacts on profitability. My point is this Coronavirus has major trickle down affects that are not only inconveniencing every day patients such as yourself and your child (and rightfully so, I fully understand and would be frustrated too) but also everyone else involved in the care of your child. No one, including theme parks and Disney junkies, are going to go unscathed.

rowrbazzle

Florida wasn't looking that bad last week with projections of having enough ICU beds.

Not any more. Projection for FL is a shortage now of ICU beds.

It's hard to pin down a projection at the beginning since there's few data points and small perturbations can throw off the extrapolation. PA is close to maxing out ICU beds (according to the projection). A little extra unforeseen cases can be... bad. Hopefully, it goes the other way.

Yeah. Some are definitely better than others. I'm thankful to see some trending downward though. And I agree, it's still early so I expect there to be fluctuations in the models.

Or, how bad initial models were. We wont' really know how much to attribute to each one.

It's hard to say. I think they're probably working with the best info they have. I think tracking infections, hospitalizations, and deaths over time and seeing the trajectories change is a solid indicator. But they're also testing more than they did before so it's still not perfect.

21stamps

Dentist here...I think all offices around the country have been mandated by their state governments to stop all elective care and can only treat emergencies (meaning, pain and swelling etc). While your dentist and orthodontist's assessment is spot on regarding the need to remove your child's teeth in order to avoid more complex orthodontic treatment later, your child isn't in any pain or distress and the extractions are not essential to alleviate any acute symptoms. Meaning they can be delayed with little recourse in his immediate well being. Bare in mind a lot of dentist's and especially their staff (assistants) are very unnerved right now regarding this virus because it is easily transmitted through aerosol. Guess which profession holds the biggest occupational risk to contract COVID-19? Dentists essentially can be working in a COVID-19 minefield with every patient they treat without knowing it.

On that note, dentist's are now concerned about the long term ramifications that COVID-19 can potentially have on their dental practices from multiple standpoints including the safety of themselves and their staff and patients as well as future impacts on profitability. My point is this Coronavirus has major trickle down affects that are not only inconveniencing every day patients such as yourself and your child (and rightfully so, I fully understand and would be frustrated too) but also everyone else involved in the care of your child. No one, including theme parks and Disney junkies, are going to go unscathed.

Thank you for your response. I understand it, just didn’t even think about these type of impacts until opening that email.
I hope you can open again soon.

rowrbazzle

Since you don't have a consistent control group, it will just all be speculation. The other side will make the same impossible to prove argument that these efforts didn't do anything meaningful.

Maybe Sweden is the control?

Jwink

Weren't you just recently asking about how to book a cheap cruise? I'm confused.....
I said in the future and was uncertain how cast members book and when the best time to do so is. My family and I do staycations due to limited finances but I am allowed to ask questions 🤷🏻‍♀️

hopemax

Since you don't have a consistent control group, it will just all be speculation. The other side will make the same impossible to prove argument that these efforts didn't do anything meaningful.

There's always Brazil. As previously mentioned, Sweden and also the Netherlands are proceeding with other approaches. There will be other countries who will be less able to apply the suppression models or choosing not to. Pakistan closed its borders, but mosques aren't closed, so their "social distancing" will be less.

Angel Ariel

Education is handled at the state level, I’m not advocating for federal directive here. I’m simply concerned for kids in states who are not requiring home learning, or maybe are but the bare bones of learning.
Those kids will be disadvantaged in the future.
States aren't require home learning because not all districts have the means to ensure that every child can access the tools necessary for distance learning. (I'd actually surmise that's more "most districts don't have the means to ensure..")

I live in one of the largest school districts in the nation. We will be doing distance learning, but it will not be graded. There will be no grades given for the 4th quarter at any grade level. The district isn't 1:1 for devices (meaning the district doesn't have enough devices to provide one for every student), and there's enough poverty in this district that there are many places without access to wifi, even if the kids had devices. And this is a very wealthy school district overall. They are working on wifi access by signing out MiFi devices to families in need, and there was talk of equipping school buses with Wifi and parking them in neighborhoods that need it. Not sure where they are on that. But even with all of that, they can't ensure those efforts will reach every child. There's also accessibility issues for students with disabilities (as IDEA is a federal law that requires public schools provide a free and appropriate public education to students of all abilities), as many won't be able to access distance learning for a wide variety of reasons.

Our school board had a 5+ hour-long meeting about just the distance learning issues alone last week. (virtually, of course). It is incredibly complicated from a variety of standpoints (more than just those mentioned above).

Angel Ariel

The kids that are at failing schools are going to be disadvantaged in the same way they have in the past. The kids who have parents or guardians who have never taken an interest in their education are going to be disadvantaged in the same way they have in the past. The kids who don't pay attention in school or skip class are not going to start paying attention now, whether they have access to online learning or not.

The disadvantages have existed for some time. I guess they are just more noticeable now in this situation.
Exactly. This is going to worsen the existing achievement gaps.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the school subject is considered “off topic”, but I’ll quickly reply to say that the public schools districts in my area have been providing electronic devises to those who don’t have them, and asking local companies to open their networks so families (who don’t have WiFi) can use them.

Our governor acknowledged today that some districts and schools will have more problems than others. Those districts/schools might have to extend their school year if there is a safe point to return to classrooms.

also, in response to your quote above this one. Good students in good schools will see an impact too... not all of them will have parents who can dedicate time to lessons plans given by the teacher.
Comcast is providing free internet to people who can’t afford it in this area. In my district the schools are also providing chrome books to any student under 5th grade. 5th and up already have chrome books. They have asked families with multiple kids to share chrome books between kids which is challenging but doable. So far the stuff they have been assigned is also available on an iPad which works for the younger kids that aren’t writing papers or typing a ton. I’m curious what they are doing in Philly where there’s a lot more kids and a lot with less means to have their own devices.

DisneyDebRob

Comcast is providing free internet to people who can’t afford it in this area. In my district the schools are also providing chrome books to any student under 5th grade. 5th and up already have chrome books. They have asked families with multiple kids to share chrome books between kids which is challenging but doable. So far the stuff they have been assigned is also available on an iPad which works for the younger kids that aren’t writing papers or typing a ton. I’m curious what they are doing in Philly where there’s a lot more kids and a lot with less means to have their own devices.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...puter-chromebook-20200324.html?outputType=amp

GoofGoof

Premium Member

21stamps

Google making some bling bling off of all this :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

The cable tv thing would be interesting. Comcast could in theory setup as many stations as they need. Not 1 per grade per school, but they could broadcast bigger “lectures” through TV.

I just googled it after reading the article from DisneyDebRob.. apparently Ohio districts are giving out Chromebooks as well. Google must have negotiated a decent deal.

Angel Ariel

OR... it's because people (like many here) aren't respecting the magnititude of the situation and needed a gut check.

They can always lift the order easily... The point of a date far out is to send a message IMO.

This is after we have case after case of churches, gatherings, beach issues, etc.
Yup. So many people here in NoVA have not been paying attention to the previous guidelines. Just yesterday there was a post in a community group of a group of 15+ gathering on a public park soccer field (which have all been closed since the last order on March 23rd) and playing, NOT observing the social distancing distances either. The rules just don't apply to them, apparently. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom