Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Nooooooo! We just got our first likely monkey pox case here (positive for orthopoxvirus, but subtyping now I guess) ! No more poxes or endemics please ;)
Don't you have to have some really close contact to get monkey pox? Direct contact with body fluids I believe.

Edit: From the CDC....

"Monkeypox spreads through direct contact with body fluids or sores on the body of someone who has monkeypox, or with direct contact with materials that have touched body fluids or sores, such as clothing or linens. It may also spread through respiratory secretions when people have close, face-to-face contact."

Heppenheimer

Don't you have to have some really close contact to get monkey pox? Direct contact with body fluids I believe.

"Monkeypox spreads through direct contact with body fluids or sores on the body of someone who has monkeypox, or with direct contact with materials that have touched body fluids or sores, such as clothing or linens. It may also spread through respiratory secretions when people have close, face-to-face contact."
Yes.

This will not be another pandemic...

... of course, I've long since eaten my words that I so boldly stated when arriving at Disneyland in March of 2020. Five days later, Disneyland closed its gates for a year.

ToTBellHop

People are barely dressed in FL in the summer and we get really close to strangers during DE. There’s a non-zero chance.

correcaminos

Yes, but I was just being a little silly since we were talking about Rafiki and poxes and well, it hit close enough to home to make the joke since it is technically endemic in a few places (which I tried to make clear with the wink, but failed - sorry)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yes, but I was just being a little silly since we were talking about Rafiki and poxes and well, it hit close enough to home to make the joke since it is technically endemic in a few places (which I tried to make clear with the wink, but failed - sorry)
Haha. No need to apologize. Got it. :)

correcaminos

Haha. No need to apologize. Got it. :)
Oh good. We're all a little tired from the trip still and then all the storms that have hit. I thought maybe my sense of humor was totally whacked.

Tomorrow will be 5 days after returning. I admit we did mask on the plane and in the airport. We did not anywhere else. Since Orange and Oceola counties are "high" on the map we decided to mask upon return for others (not us). If tomorrow no symptoms and negative we'll move on from it.

Another aside, just about 2 years ago I put my name in with two companies for vaccine trials. Turns out it was Pfizer/BioNTech (who called first) and AstraZeneca/Oxford. In less than a month I am being 'released' from the trial. 2 years from when they first called to ask if I was really willing to join. Crazy for me to think about.

DisneyCane

Tomorrow will be 5 days after returning. I admit we did mask on the plane and in the airport. We did not anywhere else.
On the plane I can understand if you don't trust that the air filtration and air flow is reducing the risk as much as claimed. Why mask in the airport after not masking at WDW packed into tight spaces with thousands of people?

drizgirl

Oh good. We're all a little tired from the trip still and then all the storms that have hit. I thought maybe my sense of humor was totally whacked.

Tomorrow will be 5 days after returning. I admit we did mask on the plane and in the airport. We did not anywhere else. Since Orange and Oceola counties are "high" on the map we decided to mask upon return for others (not us). If tomorrow no symptoms and negative we'll move on from it.

Another aside, just about 2 years ago I put my name in with two companies for vaccine trials. Turns out it was Pfizer/BioNTech (who called first) and AstraZeneca/Oxford. In less than a month I am being 'released' from the trial. 2 years from when they first called to ask if I was really willing to join. Crazy for me to think about.
Congrats! I recall every morning for about 5 days after our early January trip looking at each other going "You ok?" I also remember waking up every morning relieved not to be sick. It was something for sure.

correcaminos

Congrats! I recall every morning for about 5 days after our early January trip looking at each other going "You ok?" I also remember waking up every morning relieved not to be sick. It was something for sure.
This is my 4th trip post covid and second trip pretty much no masks too (in March they were required on monorail & bus). We've been pretty much maskless since March at home too and sent my kid to DC when they had a big spike (which has since dropped to almost half the numbers when the kid went). Since they were high levels we're being cautious for those around us.

I'm not worried for us, I worry more for sharing with high risk people. Honestly, I always have been as well which selfishly is why I did the trial. I wasn't worried if I got the placebo and was at risk, I just worried about others. We're likely fine if today we're negative but we'll add in a day to be safe. Fortunately, omicron is much faster to show symptoms so really at this point if we ever test I'll blame the airport, not Disney.

I do have a friend who was there before us and caught covid. Granted they live in the area too but are blaming Disney. Warning us all not to go because look what they caught. I said negative here so far and the response was more like "but I did too until I took a PCR test" Honestly not going to use a PCR test unless symptomatic, which apparently they were. People who say "YOU WILL GET SICK - STAY AWAY" from generic areas just make me go "let me choose" and it will be what it will be. I'm just as likely to have caught it from all the direct exposure I had in May around two groups who got sick than I am Disney.

ToTBellHop

I worry while I’m distracted after my next vacation checking for postnasal drip each morning for a fortnight to determine if I caught the ‘Vid, I’ll be hit by a bus.

I suppose that would still be classified as a COVID-related death.

correcaminos

Come back from vacation to temps hotter than Disney and we lose power. Instead of rolling black outs as they fix lines they are just removing people for like a day or so. Been fun.

Tested negative for covid today. So if we do test positive the near future, it won't be from our trip. No symptoms though, just testing to be safe.

ToTBellHop

Spoke too soon... they pulled our power again. So mad. It's their choice with who they pull.
Cool thoughts.

1655317621424.jpeg

Lilofan

Come back from vacation to temps hotter than Disney and we lose power. Instead of rolling black outs as they fix lines they are just removing people for like a day or so. Been fun.

Tested negative for covid today. So if we do test positive the near future, it won't be from our trip. No symptoms though, just testing to be safe.
We are all dependent on AC . I know some who grew up in the Deep South 45 years ago. They had no AC in their cars and their homes. Drank a lot of cold sweet ice tea and paced themselves in the summertime.

Nubs70

Except most of those plants have been retro-fitted to run on natural gas, which gives off far less carbon dioxide per kilowatt of power generated.
Not most in Michigan. Several coal fired plants have been fully taken down. Now the governor is petitioning the feds to extend the licenses of the Palisades nuke plant for fear of rolling blackouts.

Reliance on Natural Gas has expanded without expanding those nasty pipelines to transport the gas. This came to a head a few winters ago when it got real cold, 1 of 2 booster stations in the state went down. The governor went on TV to plead with people to turn down thermostats for fear of the system crashing.

correcaminos

We are all dependent on AC . I know some who grew up in the Deep South 45 years ago. They had no AC in their cars and their homes. Drank a lot of cold sweet ice tea and paced themselves in the summertime.
Where I live it easily gets hot and humid though not in June usually. 100 degree temps are not abnormal. Just sucks when you cannot even run a fan. My house as a kid did not have AC.

Thank goodness it's only 95 now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom