Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreaming of Disney World

Masks have been gone in schools here in southern Maine since 3/8. I still made my daughter mask in school, but hardly anyone else was, and she was feeling like an outcast, so I finally let her drop it on 4/11, since cases were lower, but we still wear them everywhere else. On 4/19 she started showing symptoms. I tested her tonight, and she's positive. After 2 years of us being extremely careful. And now she has to miss 2 birthday parties this weekend, and she hasnt been to a single one since before the pandemic. She's so disappointed. :(
Edit: My son has it now, too.

My hope is that my family just gets it over with now, we all turn out fine, and we can go to our Disney trip in August without worrying about catching it.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Masks have been gone in schools here in southern Maine since 3/8. I still made my daughter mask in school, but hardly anyone else was, and she was feeling like an outcast, so I finally let her drop it on 4/11, since cases were lower, but we still wear them everywhere else. On 4/19 she started showing symptoms. I tested her tonight, and she's positive. After 2 years of us being extremely careful. And now she has to miss 2 birthday parties this weekend, and she hasnt been to a single one since before the pandemic. She's so disappointed. :(

My hope is that my family just gets it over with now, we all turn out fine, and we can go to our Disney trip in August without worrying about catching it.
Sorry to hear about your little one, hopefully it’ll be a mild and quick case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of you avoid it despite being in the same house, there seems to be little rhyme or reason with Covid in regards to who, what, when, or where… the only constant seems to be vaccinated people typically have much milder cases.

Dreaming of Disney World

I wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of you avoid it despite being in the same house, there seems to be little rhyme or reason with Covid in regards to who, what, when, or where… the only constant seems to be vaccinated people typically have much milder cases.
Thank you. Fortunately she is vaccinated and is having a mild case so far. I hope it continues to be mild.

Unfortunately I exposed both of my parents. They are vaccinated but are 70 years old, and one has diabetes. I hope they're okay.

Trauma

That’s for sure my wife did absolutely zero to avoid my daughter and I when we had it.

She never caught it.

She tested every day for two weeks never positive.

sullyinMT

Thank you. Fortunately she is vaccinated and is having a mild case so far. I hope it continues to be mild.

Unfortunately I exposed both of my parents. They are vaccinated but are 70 years old, and one has diabetes. I hope they're okay.
Good luck. My mother, 66 obese and DM2, is about a week in to a mild case. She’s vaccinated and boosted, and works with the public every day. She’s been cautious and lucky up until now. I have little doubt her case would be much worse sans vaccination.

Dad is 67 and still in the same bedroom. He’s tested twice now and still negative.

Dreaming of Disney World

Good luck. My mother, 66 obese and DM2, is about a week in to a mild case. She’s vaccinated and boosted, and works with the public every day. She’s been cautious and lucky up until now. I have little doubt her case would be much worse sans vaccination.

Dad is 67 and still in the same bedroom. He’s tested twice now and still negative.
Good luck to your parents. I hope they continue to do well.

Heelz2315

Did LA bring their indoor mandate back? They mentioned it in the news but it sure in what context. They said it was mask whiplash

correcaminos

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don’t care what your personal feeling on this matter are, I promise that nobody is happy with the rules being changed every 3 days.

I have a crazy idea that is considered controversial, how about letting people do what makes them feel comfortable.

Yeah, I agree that this situation in Philly was ridiculous.

As for the second part, the problem with that is that masks work better when they are used to prevent an infected person from infecting others, so a person choosing not to wear a mask doesn't just impact them it impacts others.

Dizneykid

I don't understand how people seem to get it mysteriously or in spite of extreme caution while others don't get it from their own infected family members. We have avoided it so far (knock on wood) and went to Disney last year when the outdoor mask rule was gone. What gives with this weird virus?

correcaminos

Luck. Whether you take significant precautions or not....a lot of it is luck.
I would say significant precautions do help, but my definition of that is beyond PPE we average people wear. Ill fitting K95s or no masks can be total luck. Some with immune responses naturally too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't understand how people seem to get it mysteriously or in spite of extreme caution while others don't get it from their own infected family members. We have avoided it so far (knock on wood) and went to Disney last year when the outdoor mask rule was gone. What gives with this weird virus?

A lot of it is "luck" modified by a bunch of factors. Spend time in a small poorly ventilated room with a lot of people, odds of infection go up. Wear a mask, odds go down. Everyone wearing a mask, odds go down more. Spend more time, odds go up, etc.

With that said there does seem to be something that prevents certain from never getting infected although we aren't entirely sure why.

DisneyCane

Wishing mild cases to anyone who tested positive and hope at risk stay symptom free! A friend who wears N95 masks in public still caught it a few weeks ago. Fortunately not bad.

Transportation related only it seems.
If your friend was wearing an N95 properly there is very little chance they were infected in public. Much more likely that they were in a situation not wearing it in close proximity to somebody asymptomatic.

Prior to vaccines, the only real tool that frontline medical providers had to protect themselves was an N95 respirator. They were in the highest possible risk scenarios treating very sick, symptomatic patients a foot or two from the patient's face. Being that the N95s were highly effective in preventing transmission in these scenarios, they will be nearly 100% effective in preventing infection in a normal, public situation. Caveat being that the respirator must fit properly.

correcaminos

If your friend was wearing an N95 properly there is very little chance they were infected in public. Much more likely that they were in a situation not wearing it in close proximity to somebody asymptomatic.

Prior to vaccines, the only real tool that frontline medical providers had to protect themselves was an N95 respirator. They were in the highest possible risk scenarios treating very sick, symptomatic patients a foot or two from the patient's face. Being that the N95s were highly effective in preventing transmission in these scenarios, they will be nearly 100% effective in preventing infection in a normal, public situation. Caveat being that the respirator must fit properly.
Or not. They wear N95 masks in public all the time and they did test all close contacts. They teach too which never helps. But not all fit properly, especially the N95s that have ear loops like the Honeywell masks do https://www.cvs.com/shop/honeywell-...r-masks-n95-niosh-approved-5-ct-prodid-541269

A properly fitting N95 and eye protection did seem to help many friends in the medical field who worked with covid patients in 2020 and beyond.

Disney4Lyfe

BAFFA6D9-4EE1-4ED3-96B5-525893E52849.jpeg

Can we be done with these disgusting things yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom