Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

DazzlingAlienatedChinchilla-max-1mb.gif

correcaminos

A lot of IL has Spring Break this week, as do many other schools across the country, for Easter.
Well I did already say that here some do have April, so I'm kinda more than aware ;) Passover is when our last breaks occur IIRC at least this year. But not all of us are religious nor have breaks aligned with holidays we may or may not celebrate. The last time they extended was one of the first big break weeks. That was a month ago. Gosh feels longer than that lol. Our IL loved one had break the week after. It varies a ton and travel for spring breaks has been insane since mid March

Wife and kids are out at 1:25 pm Thursday and, God willing, we take-off Friday at 9 am. I’m as giddy as a school boy.
Enjoy! I kind of wish we had one coming up. The last quarter of school always feels rough. But we do have a very busy month and a half ahead of us.

Tell us something we didn't know already 🤣
(Directed at the post, not you)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well I did already say that here some do have April, so I'm kinda more than aware ;) Passover is when our last breaks occur IIRC at least this year. But not all of us are religious nor have breaks aligned with holidays we may or may not celebrate. The last time they extended was one of the first big break weeks. That was a month ago. Gosh feels longer than that lol. Our IL loved one had break the week after. It varies a ton and travel for spring breaks has been insane since mid March

Easter is pretty late this year so some schools may have chosen to do it earlier.

correcaminos

Easter is pretty late this year so some schools may have chosen to do it earlier.
Or they simply don't give a flip about religious holidays? Mine has been coinciding with a major local university since I was a kid. Not all move for holidays the federal government does not observe.

Now I am being serious. Do people not realize many areas do mid-end of March for spring breaks no matter what?

mmascari

Now I am being serious. Do people not realize many areas do mid-end of March for spring breaks no matter what?
In this case, of a Federal Agency making an announcement that may fall on a DC (but not Federal) holiday, the ones that matter most are Arlington, Alexandria, Loudoun, Montgomery, Prince George's all of which have Spring break now, and Fairfax that had it last week.

Likely none of them had breaks in February or March either.

Now, if the question at hand was more like "When will the state of MA send a gazillion people to WDW?" Then, the answer is probably next week. Or, perhaps it was back in February, or both.

correcaminos

In this case, of a Federal Agency making an announcement that may fall on a DC (but not Federal) holiday, the ones that matter most are Arlington, Alexandria, Loudoun, Montgomery, Prince George's all of which have Spring break now, and Fairfax that had it last week.

Likely none of them had breaks in February or March either.

Now, if the question at hand was more like "When will the state of MA send a gazillion people to WDW?" Then, the answer is probably next week. Or, perhaps it was back in February, or both.
To go with this though - mandates for masks on transportation do not affect schools. That aspect was dropped in February. So spring breaks don't matter. I thought we were talking about it due to travel, not schools. My kid has been 100% mask free for a month now outside of planes and some Disney transport.

TrainsOfDisney

Or they simply don't give a flip about religious holidays? Mine has been coinciding with a major local university since I was a kid. Not all move for holidays the federal government does not observe.

Many schools do schedule spring break around the Easter holiday. That is a fact.

Nobody said all schools do that.

DisneyCane

I don't know if it is still the case, but when I was growing up in RI we usually had a break from school starting on Good Friday through the following week. So that might increase travel - and spread Covid from areas to where cases are rising into areas where they have been stable.
If they keep using that reasoning to keep extending it, it will be extended into perpetuity. If they extend it until 5/18 then it is set to expire just before Memorial Day when there will be an increase in travel so then it will need to be extended until 6/18 but that's not far before July 4th when there will be increased travel...

If I was betting, I'd bet for it to be extended again at the last minute. If they do extend it again, I will lean towards it continuing to be extended until at least January 2025 unless the House of Representatives overrides the rule by voting for what the Senate passed already to end it.

Disney4Lyfe

If they keep using that reasoning to keep extending it, it will be extended into perpetuity. If they extend it until 5/18 then it is set to expire just before Memorial Day when there will be an increase in travel so then it will need to be extended until 6/18 but that's not far before July 4th when there will be increased travel...

If I was betting, I'd bet for it to be extended again at the last minute. If they do extend it again, I will lean towards it continuing to be extended until at least January 2025 unless the House of Representatives overrides the rule by voting for what the Senate passed already to end it.
Last month was the chance to end it. They have themselves backed into a corner now.

correcaminos

My whole point about earlier breaks for some was thinking about travel but truly some were angry they didn't give warnings so close to one super busy time of year for travel. That maybe some scheduled thinking they would be dropped and they had little time to adjust. I never thought they extended it due to travel being big and increasing spread but maybe they did?

I will say my district has been 0 cases since March 11th. We had break that weekend. I would have expected a rise after break like some are discussing but we are still at zero. Some people traveled to places with much higher cases too like Europe. At this point any cases are definitely not related to travel.

mmascari

To go with this though - mandates for masks on transportation do not affect schools. That aspect was dropped in February. So spring breaks don't matter. I thought we were talking about it due to travel, not schools. My kid has been 100% mask free for a month now outside of planes and some Disney transport.
It started more about when they would make the announcement. On the assumption that they're going to announce "something", no matter which way the change moves.

So, it was more about who is available to make that announcement and when the announcement would be ready. The mechanics of a change being released. Not so much about the content of the change.

It's a relatively safe bet there will be an announcement of something.
Bets on the on the contents of the announcement, that's another story. Could go any direction.

I don't think the volume of travel going on is going to have a large impact on a policy change. Other factors play a larger role.

I will guess, if they get past Friday and haven't made any announcement yet, one that comes out on Monday (the last day) is way more likely to drop masks than extend them. Even then, I'll still expect some announcement and not just the order expiring silently in the night.

correcaminos

It started more about when they would make the announcement. On the assumption that they're going to announce "something", no matter which way the change moves.

So, it was more about who is available to make that announcement and when the announcement would be ready. The mechanics of a change being released. Not so much about the content of the change.

It's a relatively safe bet there will be an announcement of something.
Bets on the on the contents of the announcement, that's another story. Could go any direction.

I don't think the volume of travel going on is going to have a large impact on a policy change. Other factors play a larger role.

I will guess, if they get past Friday and haven't made any announcement yet, one that comes out on Monday (the last day) is way more likely to drop masks than extend them. Even then, I'll still expect some announcement and not just the order expiring silently in the night.
I'm with you in that it can go either way. A month ago I heard rants about how dare they on short notice during such a busy time of year for travel. Shows me travel doesn't affect them really.

To be honest I think of them like Disney. They don't want to return them after removing. Putting a bandaid back on is hard. Mask compliance was much different in the winter this year than previously.

I do think they'll say something. Just what and when? Like I said after last month I don't expect anything anymore. They caught me off guard.

DisneyDebRob

Well, our area is back to indoor masking starting next week. First time i think Philadelphia has been first in anything in a long time. Here we go again.

ABQ

Well, our area is back to indoor masking starting next week. First time i think Philadelphia has been first in anything in a long time. Here we go again.
So they are claiming there's a problem, but aren't starting the mask rule today because why? That sort of thing irks me. Just makes little sense.

Angel Ariel

“Health Commissioner Dr. Cheryl Bettigole said mask precautions begin Monday, but in order to provide a one-week education period for businesses, masks will be required in all indoor public spaces as of Monday, April 18.”

That, to me, basically reads as we’re giving businesses a week’s heads up so they don’t have to deal with people who haven’t read the news yelling at them or their employees 🤷‍♀️

DisneyDebRob

“Health Commissioner Dr. Cheryl Bettigole said mask precautions begin Monday, but in order to provide a one-week education period for businesses, masks will be required in all indoor public spaces as of Monday, April 18.”

That, to me, basically reads as we’re giving businesses a week’s heads up so they don’t have to deal with people who haven’t read the news yelling at them or their employees 🤷‍♀️

You beat me in answering the question, thank you.🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom