Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well I knew that. And you knew that. And a lot of other posters here knew that. But I do think there are a lot of people dilly dallying around about getting their boosters. My friend who is still very sick with Covid (day 13 now) kept putting it off because it wasn't convenient to feel sick for a bit after. I think every time the data is highlighted, more people will pull the trigger.
Hope your friend recovers fully drizgirl, that reminds me to call my friend who informed me neither she nor husband or 18 year old DD had their booster yet last week.....I encourage, her older sister and family all came back from WDW, with underlying health issues, and had been vaccinated but not boosted and were very ill. That made he start to think on it.....I was like really? But told her places I knew of that were good experiences and organized. Procrastination is not your friend with omicron.:(

Incomudro

tl;dr - Moderna keeps Delta breakthroughs from hospitalizing you slightly better than Pfizer. WRT deaths - no difference.

It was wise of me to go Pfizer - Pfizer - Moderna!

Way back when, before the shots were really circulating I thought wanted the J&J shot because it was a traditional vaccine.
What I got when the time came around was the Moderna.
I'm quite glad it worked out that way.

Incomudro

One thing not studied as far as I can tell is comparing the same amount of elapsed time from the second dose and booster dose. Basically, is it the third dose that makes the difference or is it being less than a certain amount of time from your most recent dose?

If someone had gotten their second dose on the same day as I got my booster in December, would I have more protection than they do?
Yeah, that's a question I'm wondering.
My son's (twins who'll turn 20 next week) are just getting their second dose.
Jack got his today, and Dean's will be next week.
I'm of the belief (without real evidence) that healthy 20 year old's who just got their second dose, are as protected as 60 year old's who just got their booster.
Particularly if that booster was some 6 months plus past their second dose.

seascape

I had Covid19 in November 2020. I was vaccinated in Feb and March 2021. I was boosted in Nov 2021. I will not take another booster until my antibodies go down. I plan on being tested for antibodies in March and as long as I have a high level of antibodies I wont take another shot. From then on until Covid19 is at less than 5 per 100k. I will then take quarterly antibody test to track my protection and as long as my doctor says the level is good, I will not take another shot. Just giving shot after shot for no reason is stupid but when I need one I will get one.

mmascari

I will not take another booster until my antibodies go down. I plan on being tested for antibodies in March and as long as I have a high level of antibodies I wont take another shot. From then on until Covid19 is at less than 5 per 100k. I will then take quarterly antibody test to track my protection and as long as my doctor says the level is good, I will not take another shot.
Any particular reason for all the antibody testing? Some particular dangerous line of work or environment? Are you in a study group that needs the data?

Assuming there was a recommendation for an additional dose (which there currently isn't), why the resistance then? All that testing sounds like it would be more effort and disruptive than another dose.

Which brings us to:
Just giving shot after shot for no reason is stupid but when I need one I will get one.
It's a good thing nobody is suggesting everyone do that. By the time it's suggested for everyone (assuming beyond 3 is suggested) it'll be because there's a reason. Unless you're involved in a study to determine if there is a reason or not.

correcaminos

It is the the ever changing virus including medical/ science information that may give us further direction regarding 4th and continuing doses.
I am going based on studies and trials. The studies show the 4th dose wasn't really impactful at improving any breakthrough with omicron.

correcaminos

So we're just barely at 6 months after the first people got boosters.

Which means, for the most part the best we're going to be able to report on is how effective the booster is up to 6 months. And, we could also only now start to try an additional boosters at 6 months past first booster. And that then leads to that we need even more time if we want to study an additional booster after a longer time, say one year after the first booster.

The side effect of everyone being just a few months behind the leading edge of long term efficacy and additional dose investigation is that we only know information that's for few months ahead of where we all are.

We'll get there.
Yep, already had my 6 month blood draw. We all do our weekly report in if we test positive for covid or not as well. But it's not just trial people they follow. Other countries who do it different are running studies too. I just cannot search right to see when it started in like Israel and such. I know there are studies for immune compromised as well.

In the end I have not been called in and there were no rumors of calling in beyond the next check in during July for me. If they call, I'll post which means they're concerned. If I don't get called in... well I'm done in July and can do what I want with shots LOL

seascape

Any particular reason for all the antibody testing? Some particular dangerous line of work or environment? Are you in a study group that needs the data?

Assuming there was a recommendation for an additional dose (which there currently isn't), why the resistance then? All that testing sounds like it would be more effort and disruptive than another dose.

Which brings us to:

It's a good thing nobody is suggesting everyone do that. By the time it's suggested for everyone (assuming beyond 3 is suggested) it'll be because there's a reason. Unless you're involved in a study to determine if there is a reason or not.
I believe in testing for antibodies. I also believe in the science behind the vaccine. The goal of the vaccine is to get the body to produce antibodies which attack and kill Covid19. Now, science also says that over time the level of antibodies go down and so you can catch covid. It is also a fact that many people have caught Covid19 several times and I know of one specific case there a women fully recovered the first time, was vaccinated and boosted and still got omicron but this time also suffered lung damage. I am not fearful, I trust the science and vaccine but I will only fo what is right and that means no more shots until I need it and also if I need it and the CDC still hasn't recomended it, I will take it anyway. I will do what my doctor and I know is right.

mmascari

It is not a traditional live or attenuated virus vaccine. It is a viral vector vaccine and is only the second of its type authorized, the first being Johnson & Johnson’s Ebola vaccine.
It's still one less hole in arm than most of you. 😄

At 6 months after my booster, I should go back for Moderna then. It'll technically only be my third dose. Catch up to the rest of you.

Gotta get them all.

mmascari

I believe in testing for antibodies. I also believe in the science behind the vaccine. The goal of the vaccine is to get the body to produce antibodies which attack and kill Covid19.
The goal is a full immune response to protect from COVID, which goes beyond just antibodies but to the entire complex immune response.

I trust the science and vaccine but I will only fo what is right and that means no more shots until I need it and also if I need it and the CDC still hasn't recomended it, I will take it anyway. I will do what my doctor and I know is right.
So, if studies show that an additional dose is recommended (which none have yet) you're not going to get it, but just test for one factor instead of following that scientific recommendation. Then, make your own decision based on that factor.

Additionally, if your testing of that factor shows a reduced level, you're going to get an additional dose even if it's not recommended, presumably because the studies didn't show any advantage to getting another dose or they would have recommended. But you'll get it anyway even though that science showed it doesn't help.

I'll admit, that does sound like "doing your own research". Not in the "looked on Facebook" way, but quite literally doing your own research by experimenting with a vaccine dose schedule on your own.

I'm going to leave that type of analysis and research to the people who do that, with large numbers, and controls, and rigor. A sample size of 1, being a personal experiment doesn't sound appealing. It also sounds like a lot of time and extra needles I would rather avoid.

Lilofan

At 6 months after my booster, I should go back for Moderna then. It'll technically only be my third dose. Catch up to the rest of you.

Gotta get them all.
I'm team Moderna but getting mentally ready for my second and final Shingles vaccine shot next week . The first shot post Shingrix side effects hit me like a ton of bricks. The best part is my copay is $0 under my insurance . The pharmacist advised me generally customers have to pay $300 for the 2 shots because their insurance doesn't pay for it.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yeah, that's a question I'm wondering.
My son's (twins who'll turn 20 next week) are just getting their second dose.
Jack got his today, and Dean's will be next week.
I'm of the belief (without real evidence) that healthy 20 year old's who just got their second dose, are as protected as 60 year old's who just got their booster.
Particularly if that booster was some 6 months plus past their second dose.
Yeah... I got my booster in December. My 8 year old got her 2nd dose around the same time. So who is more protected? I would say her but not because the vaccine specifically, just because of her age and overall health. At the end of the day though, we have both taken what is recommended and available to us. So we have done what we can at this point and I am certainly not worried for either of us. Given that, the answer doesn't really matter in our case.

lazyboy97o

I believe in testing for antibodies. I also believe in the science behind the vaccine. The goal of the vaccine is to get the body to produce antibodies which attack and kill Covid19. Now, science also says that over time the level of antibodies go down and so you can catch covid. It is also a fact that many people have caught Covid19 several times and I know of one specific case there a women fully recovered the first time, was vaccinated and boosted and still got omicron but this time also suffered lung damage. I am not fearful, I trust the science and vaccine but I will only fo what is right and that means no more shots until I need it and also if I need it and the CDC still hasn't recomended it, I will take it anyway. I will do what my doctor and I know is right.
How is no more shots “what is right”? Does your doctor regularly ignore the FDA?

DisneyDebRob

Gotta get them all.
It’s like the scavenger hunts in Epcot for every festival. Do they give out a cookie or a glass like Disney if you get them all? That may get a few more people vaccinated.

Lilofan

It’s like the scavenger hunts in Epcot for every festival. Do they give out a cookie or a glass like Disney if you get them all? That may get a few more people vaccinated.
The punitive approach that some companies, cities, etc that have initiated to the unvax gives them something to think about, no shot, no service, no shot, lose your job.

hopemax

If regular people get another shot (as opposed to immunocompromised/eldery) I expect it will be a reformulation and not just more of the same. But I wouldn't expect it unless we see another immune evasive variant. One resulting in more severe disease than Omicron. Omicron will function like a Community Day "limited time event" booster. So we will see what this summer brings (Southern Hemisphere, which Florida shares a spawn zone based on the last two years) and what they recommend going into next winter.

drizgirl

Hope your friend recovers fully drizgirl, that reminds me to call my friend who informed me neither she nor husband or 18 year old DD had their booster yet last week.....I encourage, her older sister and family all came back from WDW, with underlying health issues, and had been vaccinated but not boosted and were very ill. That made he start to think on it.....I was like really? But told her places I knew of that were good experiences and organized. Procrastination is not your friend with omicron.:(
Thanks. I appreciate that. I've been after her to get theirs since I got mine in October (they got their initial 2 shots shortly after I did). But she had a series of excuses, up to and including not wanting to be sick on Christmas. She ended up getting her booster a day or two before finding out she actually had Covid.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
If regular people get another shot (as opposed to immunocompromised/eldery) I expect it will be a reformulation and not just more of the same. But I wouldn't expect it unless we see another immune evasive variant. One resulting in more severe disease than Omicron. Omicron will function like a Community Day "limited time event" booster. So we will see what this summer brings (Southern Hemisphere, which Florida shares a spawn zone based on the last two years) and what they recommend going into next winter.
So the pandemic will ever ending soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom