Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
In any event, most American's prefer the easy route and have little concern about the long term - and that includes American's with cars to get to the supermarket and an income to purchase the foods that they please.
There's a pill for that problem when it arises.
And that's horribly depressing.

Hypothyroidism is mostly not preventable, and neither is hypertension for the majority of people who have it- it can be easier to control with lifestyle interventions, but for many, this isn't enough without medications.

Likewise, most people's cholesterol levels hover around a geneticaly determined set-point. Weight loss or weight gain can have an effect, but not always a substantial one. And the whole point of treating high cholesterol is to PREVENT myocardial infarcts and strokes, of which statin medications are remarkably effective.

Diabetes is probably more preventable than high cholesterol and hypertension, but once again, our goal with diabetic patients is to prevent the serious outcomes of the disease, and metformin is a very powerful tool towards that goal.

So yes, there's still a lot of prevention going on with these medications. I daresay most would rather have controlled hypertension rather than all the sequelae of poorly controlled high blood pressure.
As a Type 1 Diabetic, who has researched the disease to death, I can safely say that Type 2 diabetes for which Metformin is prescribed for is most definitely preventable. And even Type 1 diabetes is fully controllable, you just have to try. I have an A1C of 5.3 which is probably better than some of the non diabetics on this forum. It's no more expensive than other diets but it requires staying away from carbs and exercising almost every day. This type of diet has a trade off though as it will naturally raise your Cholesterol. The good thing is that while my Cholesterol is considered higher than it should be, I have had every test you can imagine and that cholesterol is doing its job properly and not causing any issues. Cholesterol is not the boogieman it used to be. A persons health comes down to Blood sugar more often than not.
When they just throw Metfomin at the problem and don't make any other changes, that is when hypertension and cholesterol in these patients becomes an even bigger issue. Part of prevention is personal responsibility. That goes both ways and for Covid too.

lazyboy97o

As a Type 1 Diabetic, who has researched the disease to death, I can safely say that Type 2 diabetes for which Metformin is prescribed for is most definitely preventable. And even Type 1 diabetes is fully controllable, you just have to try. I have an A1C of 5.3 which is probably better than some of the non diabetics on this forum. It's no more expensive than other diets but it requires staying away from carbs and exercising almost every day. This type of diet has a trade off though as it will naturally raise your Cholesterol. The good thing is that while my Cholesterol is considered higher than it should be, I have had every test you can imagine and that cholesterol is doing its job properly and not causing any issues. Cholesterol is not the boogieman it used to be. A persons health comes down to Blood sugar more often than not.
When they just throw Metfomin at the problem and don't make any other changes, that is when hypertension and cholesterol in these patients becomes an even bigger issue. Part of prevention is personal responsibility. That goes both ways and for Covid too.
I’m sure the doctor is familiar with diabetes.

Vegas Disney Fan

Speaking of Las Vegas, my brother's firm was going to send several of their execs to Vegas for the annual week long computer tech convention this month. His company along with several other firms do not feel comfortable due to these current times and are cancelling making the trip but it probably will not stop some of the gamblers from going to Sin City.
Yeah, Omicron has dealt us another setback.

The weekend party crowds are still showing up but the midweek business crowd we depend on are still sorely missed.

They started coming back last summer and then Delta hit, January/February 2022 was looking to be historically busy but then Omicron hit. There’s years of pent up business demand, we just need the variants to stop for it to be able to materialize.

correcaminos

I've met very few doctors who know how to really treat diabetes. And the American Diabetes Association and their "guidelines" are a joke. Quite frankly, Doctors don't treat diabetes, patients do (or don't sadly)
I think you're off base and a bit insulting to a kind doctor here. Spoken as someone who has mutiple T1 and T2 family members - not to mention loved ones. Diabetes is hard as not all bodies react the same way to all foods. What triggers one loved one is not another. It's a hard balancing act.

Heppenheimer

Thank you for posting this. My mom got diagnosed with high cholesterol sometime in the late 90s. She has always exercised at least 4 days per week and ate relatively healthily. After the diagnosis, she ate as close to a zero fat, zero cholesterol diet as you could possibly do. No sauces, no gravy, no cookies or cake unless they were fat free. She was obsessive about it. After 15+ years of it not getting any lower she finally agreed to take a statin.
I too went completely vegan for 6 months to see what it did for my cholesterol (and I was in the army at the time, so not working was not an option). The result? Almost no change in my levels. This may not be typical, but it demonstrates that cholesterol levels have far more genetic determination than we might like to admit. So, a statin for me.

I think you're off base and a bit insulting to a kind doctor here. Spoken as someone who has mutiple T1 and T2 family members - not to mention loved ones. Diabetes is hard as not all bodies react the same way to all foods. What triggers one loved one is not another. It's a hard balancing act.
Not off base, I said in my experience. Yes it;s a balancing act, but one that can be controlled with great success, no excuses.

I too went completely vegan for 6 months to see what it did for my cholesterol (and I was in the army at the time, so not working was not an option). The result? Almost no change in my levels. This may not be typical, but it demonstrates that cholesterol levels have far more genetic determination than we might like to admit. So, a statin for me.
Most people don't understand cholesterol. What it does, where it comes from, etc. For the most part, it doesn't come from what you eat, it comes from your liver, approx (80%) and is very important. Once I read more about it, it all made much more sense.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Most people don't understand cholesterol. What it does, where it comes from, etc. For the most part, it doesn't come from what you eat, it comes from your liver, approx (80%) and is very important. Once I read more about it, it all made much more sense.
You do realize you are quoting a doctor who has been practicing for many years?

Touchdown

I've met very few doctors who know how to really treat diabetes. And the American Diabetes Association and their "guidelines" are a joke. Quite frankly, Doctors don't treat diabetes, patients do (or don't sadly)
It’s only something I do everyday multiple times a day in sick pts. There’s no clear forumulas or dosing of insulin to control diabetics, especially sick ones. It’s still very much an art, and unfortunately that means making a best guess and then fixing problems through trial and error.

That said, the most important thing that must be done to control diabetes is diet and that very much is patient focused and fully in their control (outside the hospital.)

It’s only something I do everyday multiple times a day in sick pts. There’s no clear forumulas or dosing of insulin to control diabetics, especially sick ones. It’s still very much an art, and unfortunately that means making a best guess and then fixing problems through trial and error.

That said, the most important thing that must be done to control diabetes is diet and that very much is patient focused and fully in their control (outside the hospital.)
I totally get it, it isn’t the easiest thing to deal with. Insulin is tricky but it it much less tricky when you eat very few carbs. It takes a lot of the stress out of it when your CGM remains flat alll day. Low carb, small doses of insulin is the answer. It works.
but it means never eating bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. Most refuse to go there, so they struggle. The food isn’t important to me, my health is.

DisneyCane

Yeah, Omicron has dealt us another setback.

The weekend party crowds are still showing up but the midweek business crowd we depend on are still sorely missed.

They started coming back last summer and then Delta hit, January/February 2022 was looking to be historically busy but then Omicron hit. There’s years of pent up business demand, we just need the variants to stop for it to be able to materialize.
The problem is that while many people have reached the point that they will take the "risk" and take vacations to places like Vegas, the businesses are still caught up in virtue signaling so they won't participate in anything that can be construed as being "unsafe" or not taking the virus seriously.

We've got to change this attitude or places like Vegas are going to change (and not for the better). It was built up on one business model and can't survive on a fraction of the visitors. Businesses are the ones who rent out convention and meeting space, not me and my wife going to gamble a little and see a show or two.

Jrb1979

The problem is that while many people have reached the point that they will take the "risk" and take vacations to places like Vegas, the businesses are still caught up in virtue signaling so they won't participate in anything that can be construed as being "unsafe" or not taking the virus seriously.

We've got to change this attitude or places like Vegas are going to change (and not for the better). It was built up on one business model and can't survive on a fraction of the visitors. Businesses are the ones who rent out convention and meeting space, not me and my wife going to gamble a little and see a show or two.
Or maybe it's time to adapt to this new world. Things have changed and businesses will have to adapt.

Vegas Disney Fan

I wouldn’t call it virtue signaling as much as a calculated business decision, spending thousands of dollars to send an employee to network when half the people you want to schmooze won’t be their doesn’t justify the cost.

Unfortunately it’s a snowball effect, once company A cancels out of concern company B cancels because they wanted to court company A, then company C cancels because company B won’t be there.

Bookings were way up prior to Omicron so I don’t think it’ll be a long term problem but for now we just roll with the punches.

lewisc

Actually, yes. IMO it does. Your reading up on things doesn't make you more knowledgeable than a doctor. That's actually our whole problem with the pandemic. People who "research" think they know more than medical professionals. They don't m
You don't think Joe Rogen podcasts, foxnews and anonymous posters on the internet are great research tools?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom