Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

There isn't a single disease in medicine that we would prefer to treat early rather than prevent (if prevention is possible). Prevention is almost always easier, cheaper and leads to better outcomes.
In medicine, certainly.
But people, American's specifically...
Well, most of them would rather do whatever it is they'd like to do - then be given some prescription, or handful of prescriptions later in life.

There isn't a single disease in medicine that we would prefer to treat early rather than prevent (if prevention is possible). Prevention is almost always easier, cheaper and leads to better outcomes.
1Atorvastatin112,104,359
2Levothyroxine102,595,103
3Lisinopril91,862,708
4Metformin85,739,443

What is prefered and what is reality? Top 3 out of 4 prescribed drugs are all for things that can be prevented.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
What is prefered and what is reality? Top 3 out of 4 prescribed drugs are all for things that can be prevented.
My 4 decades on this planet has shown me one constant: between the right choice and the easy choice, people will take the easy choice.

Eating healthy (in the US) is expensive, and doing exercise requires effort. Eating unhealthy and taking a pill is easier, and likely cheaper than eating healthy.

Jrb1979

My 4 decades on this planet has shown me one constant: between the right choice and the easy choice, people will take the easy choice.

Eating healthy (in the US) is expensive, and doing exercise requires effort. Eating unhealthy and taking a pill is easier, and likely cheaper than eating healthy.
It doesn't help with the amount of pharmaceuticals advertised on TV constantly.

Lilofan

So a $4 bag of raw spinach is more expensive than a $4 box of donuts?

Heppenheimer

1Atorvastatin112,104,359
3Lisinopril91,862,708
4Metformin85,739,443

Hypothyroidism is mostly not preventable, and neither is hypertension for the majority of people who have it- it can be easier to control with lifestyle interventions, but for many, this isn't enough without medications.

Likewise, most people's cholesterol levels hover around a geneticaly determined set-point. Weight loss or weight gain can have an effect, but not always a substantial one. And the whole point of treating high cholesterol is to PREVENT myocardial infarcts and strokes, of which statin medications are remarkably effective.

Diabetes is probably more preventable than high cholesterol and hypertension, but once again, our goal with diabetic patients is to prevent the serious outcomes of the disease, and metformin is a very powerful tool towards that goal.

So yes, there's still a lot of prevention going on with these medications. I daresay most would rather have controlled hypertension rather than all the sequelae of poorly controlled high blood pressure.

Touchdown

1Atorvastatin112,104,359
3Lisinopril91,862,708
4Metformin85,739,443

Umm, how can you prevent thyroid disease? (#2)

Also #1, 3 are preventative, statins are protective and are used to prevent strokes in people who get TIAs irregardless of cholesterol counts. #3 is given to diabetics provided they don’t have low blood pressure to prevent Chronic Kidney Disease. So they are sometimes used as preventative medications.

DisneyCane

I cant believe the numbers are this crazy. 31.4% of the US cases are now in just 3 states, the 3 states I own property in, NY, NJ and Florida. NY is at 276per 100k, NJ is at 248 and Florida is at 201. NYC is at 397, Essex County is at 412 and Miami-Dade is leading the US at 525. The US is now at 114 per 100k
I guess we should start calling it the "Seascape virus!"

Clearly you just admitted you are using your properties to spread new variants!

DisneyCane

Likewise, most people's cholesterol levels hover around a geneticaly determined set-point. Weight loss or weight gain can have an effect, but not always a substantial one. And the whole point of treating high cholesterol is to PREVENT myocardial infarcts and strokes, of which statin medications are remarkably effective.
Thank you for posting this. My mom got diagnosed with high cholesterol sometime in the late 90s. She has always exercised at least 4 days per week and ate relatively healthily. After the diagnosis, she ate as close to a zero fat, zero cholesterol diet as you could possibly do. No sauces, no gravy, no cookies or cake unless they were fat free. She was obsessive about it. After 15+ years of it not getting any lower she finally agreed to take a statin.

Incomudro

Nope.

But that $4 box of donuts will provide more calories, ie more energy, than the $4 bag of raw spinach, and on top of that requires no preparation.
A box of donuts vs a bag of spinach aren't the only options.
A large box of store brand "Cheerios" can be less than $2.00

In any event, most American's prefer the easy route and have little concern about the long term - and that includes American's with cars to get to the supermarket and an income to purchase the foods that they please.
There's a pill for that problem when it arises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom