Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

For what purpose? There's no helpful information to disseminate that can't be posted on a website and social media where more people will see it anyway.

These types of press events are just dog and pony shows to make the person speaking look engaged and keep their face on the local news.
Live press conferences regardless of the message have been going on for many many years to get the message out. When regular scheduled programming is interrupted ( to the dismay of some ) then one knows it is a big deal.

Chip Chipperson

Because there's still a portion of the populations that still gets its news from local tv news. IMHO the more people that information can reach the better

Very true. The elderly, in particular, aren't sitting around refreshing Twitter or checking the County's website all day. Plus, it's often easier to convey tone through a speech than through a published statement.

There's also the no-win game of politics: give a speech and you're accused of grandstanding, but if you only issue a press release you're accused of hiding.

Vegas Disney Fan

For what purpose? There's no helpful information to disseminate that can't be posted on a website and social media where more people will see it anyway.

These types of press events are just dog and pony shows to make the person speaking look engaged and keep their face on the local news.
I prefer reading the news also, the worst is opening up a news webpage only to find a video (with accompanying 30 seconds of ads first), if I wanted to watch a video I’d have gone to YouTube, not a printed news source.

Options are good though.

Heppenheimer

Very true. The elderly, in particular, aren't sitting around refreshing Twitter or checking the County's website all day. Plus, it's often easier to convey tone through a speech than through a published statement.

There's also the no-win game of politics: give a speech and you're accused of grandstanding, but if you only issue a press release you're accused of hiding.
Judging by the commercials I see during the local and national news lately, I'm guessing the elderly probably constitute a majority of the viewership these days. Unless the kids these days are really into metamucil and supplemental medicare plans.

correcaminos

mmascari

It’s becoming clear that even a 100% vaccination rate isn’t going to stop this, they are still extremely effective at keeping cases mild though.
It’s not like the Navy was in a bubble with only sailers. They were in port. Any interaction with the outside exposed them to a much lower percentage of vaccinated. Combined with still to high a level of community spread and Omicron having a higher breakthrough.

If we have a ship at sea with very limited external interactions, then introduce an infectious person. If that spreads through the crew or dies out, that would be more informative.

Same problem we have comparing other groups. So much depends on the interactions beyond the group.

Heppenheimer

I'm not going to post the link, because the study hasn't been peer-reviewed yet, but there was interesting findings out of South Africa. It appears that not only has omicron displaced delta, but it appears to induce extra protection against delta, especially in those who have been vaccinated. If this holds, then omicron might prove an unexpected ally in driving delta into extinction.

Nubs70

I'm not going to post the link, because the study hasn't been peer-reviewed yet, but there was interesting findings out of South Africa. It appears that not only has omicron displaced delta, but it appears to induce extra protection against delta, especially in those who have been vaccinated. If this holds, then omicron might prove an unexpected ally in driving delta into extinction.
If true, we should all go maskless*?

*in consultation with one's primary care provider

JoeCamel

Fuel for the natural immunity crowd, get sick so you don't get sick. Sounds like smallpox

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is good news.

Lilofan

Judging by the commercials I see during the local and national news lately, I'm guessing the elderly probably constitute a majority of the viewership these days. Unless the kids these days are really into metamucil and supplemental medicare plans.
If you tune into the local channels in FL, the commercials are usually Morgan and Morgan.. and how much was I awarded in my lawsuit.. etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom