Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

Sensationalism is not helpful. Competent medical authorities have made it clear there is no 100% anything. Attacking, shaming, belittling, threatening, scare tactics and mandating has not helped resolve anything. Common sense presentation of facts and data with calm conversation would have been and can still be the most beneficial way to go.
Nothing I said was sensational. I've also been very clear that vaccination isn't a 100% anything, it's a reduction.

This entire argument you're presenting is disingenuous. That because nothing is 100% it's not even worth reducing anything.

The unvaccinated make a choice. The result of that choice should be to not interact with the rest of society. They're actively providing a place for COVID to continue spread uncontrolled. That's the most common sense thing.

The people who cannot get in a queue at WDW for a ride, but just barge to the front every time cutting in front of everyone else aren't humored and allowed to just keep doing it. They're removed from the park.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And right now we can see an example of how a vague political position is more important. Actually pointing out the impact of what is being supported is “reaching” and waved off as unrelated. There’s no actual purpose beyond tribalism.
That's one of the reasons that people are refusing the vaccine - it's no big deal and the impact is minimal. So completely wrong, but we can't convince them otherwise. Sad really.

lazyboy97o

That's one of the reasons that people are refusing the vaccine - it's no big deal and the impact is minimal. So completely wrong, but we can't convince them otherwise. Sad really.
And we can’t have consequences either. Once companies start talking about increased premiums/vaccination discounts, I feel certain we will see places start to introduce legislation that makes such offerings illegal in the state. It’s the next logical step.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My point is that no matter how calm and reasoned the conversation, they will simply ignore you. They don't care about the good of the country, only about their alleged "freedoms".
This problem isn’t unique to the US. Which is why we need to be realistic regarding vaccination rates globally. Keep pushing them where we can. But also understand we are likely not to reach the levels any time soon where the virus is eradicated and even put to bed. This isn’t going to turn out like measles or polio. The virus is different and the vaccine rates on a global scale just aren’t there. So when some say live with it, yeah we will have to and need to at certain level at least in the short term.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And we can’t have consequences either. Once companies start talking about increased premiums/vaccination discounts, I feel certain we will see places start to introduce legislation that makes such offerings illegal in the state. It’s the next logical step.
Well, we know that Florida will lead the charge to prevent companies from recouping any costs associated with additional health care due to COVID. :banghead:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This problem isn’t unique to the US. Which is why we need to be realistic regarding vaccination rates globally. Keep pushing them where we can. But also understand we are likely not to reach the levels any time soon where the virus is eradicated and even put to bed. This isn’t going to turn out like measles or polio. The virus is different and the vaccine rates on a global scale just aren’t there. So when some say live with it, yeah we will have to and need to at certain level at least in the short term.
Unfortunately all too true.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think the US is close to a peak again. It seems the growth in the northern states is slowing down a lot. This is just me saying this, looking at the state rates. I haven't read anything about it and this could just be a temporary slowdown and I am totally off.

I know everybody seems to hate this take, but I really believe if the American people want to help end the pandemic then they need to get themselves healthy. Lose weight, exercise, ditch the high sugar, high inflammation foods. I’m all for vaccinating as many people as we can but if the population remains as unhealthy as it is we will never get out of this.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I know everybody seems to hate this take, but I really believe if the American people want to help end the pandemic then they need to get themselves healthy. Lose weight, exercise, ditch the high sugar, high inflammation foods. I’m all for vaccinating as many people as we can but if the population remains as unhealthy as it is we will never get out of this.
I am all for this in the long term. But short term, impact would be minimal as getting the population to a more healthy level is something that would take a lot of time. Short term...vaccines...

That being said, doesn't mean we can't start on the long term aspect now.

I am all for this in the long term. But short term, impact would be minimal as getting the population to a more healthy level is something that would take a lot of time. Short term...vaccines...

That being said, doesn't mean we can't start on the long term aspect now.
I totally agree with the short term/ long term. but just changing your diet can have a very big impact fairly quickly. Not with weight necessarily, but with inflammation. As a type 1 diabetic who keeps their blood sugars totally normal, I know it is a lot of work but it can be done.

mmascari

Poll is not surprising.
It's not. But, it is super depressing. Or, possibly super in accurate. It looks like they had 1,696 people respond and then broke that down between vaccinated and unvaccinated. So that's what, somewhere near 600 responses in the unvaccinated group? Give or take, say between 500 and 700? Is that enough to get a generalized answer?

Because the answers to that poll, at least the ones they called out, many favor creating more spread.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's not. But, it is super depressing. Or, possibly super in accurate. It looks like they had 1,696 people respond and then broke that down between vaccinated and unvaccinated. So that's what, somewhere near 600 responses in the unvaccinated group? Give or take, say between 500 and 700? Is that enough to get a generalized answer?

Because the answers to that poll, at least the ones they called out, many favor creating more spread.
The only real blah part for me is the unvaccinated being too loose. Makes sense if your vaccinated.

hopemax

Let me know when we’ve restructured our economy to allow for this.

Also “you can’t tell me what to do or what I should or shouldn’t put in my body” has a lot of overlap. Good luck with the people who think it’s their American right to consume American foods at whatever volume they choose. Also remember that one guy believes that exercise is misguided because humans are like batteries with finite power. That’s what you’re up against.

lazyboy97o

Are you also going to support more mass transit, and ending all of the laws, regulations and subsidies that make endless sprawl cheaper and more viable? For changing building codes to implement more sustainable strategies, increase natural ventilation and reduce the use of mechanical air systems?

mmascari

I totally agree with the short term/ long term. but just changing your diet can have a very big impact fairly quickly. Not with weight necessarily, but with inflammation. As a type 1 diabetic who keeps their blood sugars totally normal, I know it is a lot of work but it can be done.
Those are great for individual impacts. Not perfect solutions, but they would definitely reduce personal risks.

At the population level though, they'll do nothing to slow the spread of COVID. If the entire country was the perfect weight, super fit, only consumed the perfect diet, with no high sugar or high inflammation foods, they would still all get sick eventually. Those perfectly fit people would all continue to spread COVID on to other people. If that's all we did without any vaccination at all, individual impacts might be better on a percentage basis, but the ultimate number that got sick would be so much larger that even the lower percentages of bad outcomes would be a larger absolute number of bad outcomes.

I'm all for individuals doing things to make their personal outcomes better. But, we cannot stop there. We have to do the things that also make the population outcome better. It's nice that they line up. The best thing someone can do to improve their personal outcome is also the best thing they can do to improve the population outcome.

Everything else is doing something that's not the best for each individual, just something better than nothing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If the entire country was the perfect weight, super fit, only consumed the perfect diet, with no high sugar or high inflammation foods, they would still all get sick eventually.
It would keep a lot more people out of the hospital. Anyways, we need to do better in this area moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom