Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

And has been stated many times, you can be infectious without symptoms. That innocent sneeze might be a blast of viruses flying out to infect all your coworkers within a 10-foot radius. So, "don't go to work sick" just isn't very helpful since you don't know what you might have. If we really wanted to stop this thing cold*, we'd isolate EVERYBODY for three weeks and just let it burn out. Odds of that happening: zero.

* no pun intended
Oh, I'm aware. I was just talking to hubby about it last night. The sad fact is that people go to work sick, they send their kids to school sick...our priorities in America are way out of balance, and these behaviors are a result of that.

Proactive measures need to be taken, sure, but the media needs to stop trying to whip people up into a frenzy in the name of clicks.

PeoplemoverTTA

I’m in the camp of caution without panic (but WITH knowledge). I’ve read quite a bit on the breakdown of underlying conditions that make up that general phrase thrown about. In a very interesting, copious breakdown of data from China, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease were both higher risks of COVID-19 complications than cancer and diabetes. 100 million Americans have HBP (including myself), which places them in the “high risk” category.

Of course, that additional risk still means you’re more likely to have minor issues than not, but it’s worth mentioning that the higher risk group is actually comprised of people who aren’t just old or suffering from COPD, etc. It’s people who take a pill for something they believe is relatively innocuous.

As a hypothetical, assuming say a 6% morbidity rate for HBP means 6 million Americans, if exposed, could die. I’m not sounding the alarm, but am merely looking at the potential.

There have also been seemingly healthy people in their 30s and 40s who have died, and they don’t know why their condition sporadically changed.

Washing your hands and not touching your face are important, yet as others have mentioned, that does nothing to prevent you from exposure to airborne droplets. I read an article from a reputable source (major news publications citing CDC and WHO data) that said transmission by touching an infected surface is far less likely than by airborne droplets.

Dismissing the risk entirely to “live your life” seems flippant to me. Particularly since you could carry the virus and potentially infect others due to your flippancy. Arm yourself with facts, make decisions for not only your family, but the greater good.

Businesses rebound, but dead people don’t tend to rebound in quite the same manner.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

And now for a joke.

61A8F47C-5716-428C-971C-B7D30F0C5B9D.jpeg

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
But did he really? Reading the transcript that the tweet covers doesn't explicitly show any statement like "It's okay to go to work with coronavirus." Seems more like he said people who don't know they have it are likely going to work.

But do make your own decisions, here's the quote:

“A lot of people will have this and it’s very mild. They’ll get better very rapidly. They don’t even see a doctor, they don’t even call a doctor. You never hear about those people,” Trump told Fox News. “So you can’t put them down in the category of the overall population in terms of this corona flu and or virus. So you just can’t do that. So, if you know, we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work. Some of them go to work, but they get better.”
I think that's the dangerous rhetoric.

Lilofan

At Security bag check the Disney K-9 dogs are there smelling for gunpowder/firearms. Can the dogs be trained to sniff out Corona?😉

ELG13

I’m in the camp of caution without panic (but WITH knI’ve read quite a bit on the breakdown of underlying conditions that make up that general phrase thrown about. In a very interesting, copious breakdown of data from China, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease were both higher risks of COVID-19 complications than cancer and diabetes. 100 million Americans have HBP (including myself), which places them in the “high risk” category.

Of course, that additional risk still means you’re more likely to have minor issues than not, but it’s worth mentioning that the higher risk group is actually comprised of people who aren’t just old or suffering from COPD, etc. It’s people who take a pill for something they believe is relatively innocuous.

As a hypothetical, assuming say a 6% morbidity rate for HBP means 6 million Americans, if exposed, could die. I’m not sounding the alarm, but am merely looking at the potential.

There have also been seemingly healthy people in their 30s and 40s who have died, and they don’t know why their condition sporadically changed.

Washing your hands and not touching your face are important, yet as others have mentioned, that does nothing to prevent you from exposure to airborne droplets. I read an article from a reputable source (major news publications citing CDC and WHO data) that said transmission by touching an infected surface is far less likely than by airborne droplets.

Dismissing the risk entirely to “live your life” seems flippant to me. Particularly since you could carry the virus and potentially infect others due to your flippancy. Arm yourself with facts, make decisions for not only your family, but the greater good.

Businesses rebound, but dead people don’t tend to rebound in quite the same manner.
I'm with ya. I'm worried about the other citizens that are more at risk than myself. I want to do what I need to do in order to make sure I don't cause someone else to get sick. It doesn't have to be about ourselves. It really is ok to worry about OTHERS even if we aren't worried about what will happen to us. But it's the same as a certain conversation that I will not get into that rhymes with Baccines 😂. I think companies need to start having conversations (and I'm sure they have started) about how they will handle the possibility of shutting down and making sure employees who are sick, feel they are able to stay home, even if they don't have the PTO to cover it. Retro pay, overtime when they come back....whatever the case may be. We are all on this rock together and something like this should put that into perspective but for whatever reason it seems to divide us more. When I read about the healthcare worker that broke home quarantine to go to a party, I knew we were pretty much done for.

flutas

I think there should be a healthy middle ground between "sky is falling" and it's just the "sniffles" :hilarious:

I agree, that's what I try to provide, only to be told that quoting numbers is putting "spin" on things.

Cautiously watch is what I would tell everyone to do about this situation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Get a doctor's note or prescription to bring with you if you want to wear one. That makes it a medical necessity.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say that they will not let you walk around in a half face respirator...no matter the note or stated policy. Disney is the most highly sensitive to PR company on earth and this is not gonna play well.
Because numbers don't lie... panic however does.
Oh, they don't? Depends on the agenda of the one reporting them.

Numbers are cherry picked...apparently just like actual indisputable facts these days.

Ask yourself: are traders scared that their 12 year drug trip of greed is gonna coming crashing down on them?

You bet your they are. So when that happens - just make it up as a cover story while you try to cash out

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Bingo.

Just make sure that source of knowledge is accurate.
Orlando Weekly reported that it's 'believed' Disney brought on a former HHS official. Can you confirm whether or not that's the case?
It might help put people at ease that TWDC is following solid public health advice.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Orlando Weekly reported that it's 'believed' Disney brought on a former HHS official. Can you confirm whether or not that's the case?
It might help put people at ease that TWDC is following solid public health advice.
I don’t even know what a HHS is!

The parks are taking what official advice is given. Cleanliness. Sanitisers. And relying on guests do their part. Take precautions, cancel if you want to, go if you want to.

You could cancel and get hit by a bus the next day. It’s life. Take what precautions you deem necessary but remember this is not the plague.

Incomudro

I don’t even know what a HHS is!

The parks are taking what official advice is given. Cleanliness. Sanitisers. And relying on guests do their part. Take precautions, cancel if you want to, go if you want to.

You could cancel and get hit by a bus the next day. It’s life. Take what precautions you deem necessary but remember this is not the plague.

Great post Marni.
Humans are a strange lot to observe - I often feel like I observe my fellow humans from the outside, kind of like George Carlin did.
People will smoke and drink for decades, drive like lunatics, staring at their cel phones sometimes unbelted and eat themselves 'till they grow so large that they can't even walk anymore.
These are things that we humans have direct control over
All with little concern for the heart disease and diabetes that will really kill them.
Then they'll go into near panic over things that are far less likely to kill them.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Great post Marni.
Humans are a strange lot to observe - I often feel like I observe my fellow humans from the outside, kind of like George Carlin did.
People will smoke and drink for decades, drive like lunatics, staring at their cel phones sometimes unbelted and eat themselves 'till they grow so large that they can't even walk anymore.
These are things that we humans have direct control over
All with little concern for the hear disease and diabetes that will really kill them.
Then they'll go into near panic over things that are far less likely to kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom