Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual Toad

Did they drop the option for virtual learning? Our district did so there are more students at school vs enrolled in a school sponsored equivalent of homeschooling.
No “live via Zoom” virtual learning at all in FL public schools this year. Florida Virtual is available to some but it is completely separate from kids’ chosen schools. Limited to no options for specialized programs such as IB, AICE etc.

Edited to add: Polkadotdress beat me to it 😀

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

My 13yo doesn't even want to hear that it will be okay. These kids are learning how little some people really don't care about others.

While I'm slightly saddened we'll start the year with masks in school (knowing the vaccination percentage in my district is super high) I get that the 6th grade kids (11 yos) have no choice. My kid was going to wear a mask anyway indoors and letting it optional outside. That's what our district mandated so it aligned with what we were going to do anyway.

No lockers again this year. No normalcy which kind of stinks. I am hoping that winter with vaccines will change things at our school. I am very sure our 8th grade trip will be off which disappoints me. We'll find a way to make it up. It's disappointing because we didn't have to be this way at this point, but we are.

Last night with the parent at our door showed me how insane people are - and to make this crazy, yes it's public record but they have never ever been to our house before. They didn't even check to make sure they had the right house before confronting us on our property. All because a few other parents with young kids and high-risk family members were getting concerned and innocently the kids asked each other. My kid being one of them since he's friends with kids in the group outside of it and others are not.

This is the insanity we are dealing with.
We might just be willing to trade your insanity for ours. No mask mandates and none allowed. No social distancing in classrooms. As well as the temper tantrums you unfortunately had to face. (Edited to add: and fewer than 30% of eligible kids vaccinated. Ugh.)

Hug your kids and tell them to continue the good fight. And if they’re brave enough to come to Florida, my boys are fully vaccinated and would probably enjoy a good game of D&D. 😀

Last edited:

correcaminos

That’s not true. Many people disagree with the security screening measures that have been put in place. I’m one of them.
Liking and doing are different things. I don't see you like the person on the plane who was removed for not wearing a mask. I don't like them either as I think it's more theater, so I just pay my Pre-Check to avoid it all.

TrainsOfDisney

Liking and doing are different things. I don't see you like the person on the plane who was removed for not wearing a mask. I don't like them either as I think it's more theater, so I just pay my Pre-Check to avoid it all.
Oh no I’ll follow the TSA and Disney Security procedures. I just 100% disagree with them.

But Having to partially undress in order to travel within my own country is way worse to me than being asked to wear a mask during a global pandemic.

correcaminos

We might just be willing to trade your insanity for ours. No mask mandates and none allowed. No social distancing in classrooms. As well as the temper tantrums you unfortunately had to face. Hug your kids and tell them to continue the good fight. And if they’re brave enough to come to Florida, my boys are fully vaccinated and would probably enjoy a good game of D&D. 😀
Good luck! I was reading about Florida and it's a mess. A bunch of friends who live down there are struggling. Good people though. We may not have distancing in the classrooms but 6' down to 3' is about what we get now. Like I said my city is well vaccinated and with masks my worry for my own is minimal.

Yesterday my kid was at school for a mentor training and was masked 90% of the time and did it that way because I asked him to. He's pretty good. Now it's mandated. Though we have auditions today for Fall Pro. The announcement for masks has not gone out officially though it was voted on last night. I told him I'm cool mask or not with teachers alone for singing if needed.

We might be down for literally an afternoon in September, but only if numbers are on the decline. I have an arbitrary threshold I'd be comfortable with. But not enough for D&D ;) IF you ever make it up to the crazy world that's Ohio, we have a few one day campaigns we do with family :) Really best wishes as you deal with this. It's no fun!

correcaminos

Oh no I’ll follow the TSA and Disney Security procedures. I just 100% disagree with them.

But Having to partially undress in order to travel within my own country is way worse to me than being asked to wear a mask during a global pandemic.
Agreed! Like I said there's a reason why I do pre-check. That and to avoid extra screenings I seem to get. (it's a name thing, nothing more). I like keeping my sweatshirts on and shoes too. Bottles don't have to come out. Since MCO is an airport I fly into often even while visiting family, it's well worth it to pay for me to do it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Herd immunity is not the goal anymore. It's mitigating hospitalizations and death.
Short term, yes. Long term herd immunity and/or elimination is still the goal. We may never achieve it or it may take quite a while but it should be the goal. Measles was eliminated in the US but it took decades from the time the first person got a measles vaccine. I’m not suggesting things will be like today for decades either, but assuming covid sticks around worldwide and doesn’t pull a disappearing act like SARS we may see outbreaks pop up for a long time until most of the world is vaccinated and that will take years.

DisneyCane

I mean of course I am sure some people dislike them.

Point being, there are many things going on that the government does.

Masks are literally not an attack on freedom.
They literally are an attack on the freedom not to be uncomfortable by wearing an uncomfortable and annoying mask. Whatever they do or don't do to slow the spread of COVID, many people (myself included) find wearing one uncomfortable. They make it more difficult to communicate, restrict breathing and cause you to smell your own breath after eating.

John park hopper

This virus isn't going away anytime soon even with vaccinations it's been reported 30% of those vaccinated can get reinfected and it becomes an endless cycle. Coupled with the virus mutation rates the probability it will mutate in order to evade the immune system is high. The best hope is the development of therapeutics and hopefully continued development of vaccines to handle new strains. IMO herd immunity with this one is a pipe dream. Read yesterday wild deer populations are showing covid antbodies which indicates infection at some time -- again this virus in it's many forms is here to stay. My strategy is got vaccinated-- where a mask and stay away --from crowds

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No mask mandates and none allowed. No social distancing in classrooms
That is how my daughter's school district will be, except you can wear a mask if you want. Actually, they did this last year as well (we are new to the district this year), and had very few cases and no outbreaks.

Personally, I am not a fan of a one size fits all approach. What may work for one school district in a certain area may not necessarily apply to another. I also think leaders should be a bit more flexible.

Maybe I like the optout idea best for urban areas with significant spread? I go back and forth...

Virtual Toad

They literally are an attack on the freedom not to be uncomfortable by wearing an uncomfortable and annoying mask. Whatever they do or don't do to slow the spread of COVID, many people (myself included) find wearing one uncomfortable. They make it more difficult to communicate, restrict breathing and cause you to smell your own breath after eating.
Yeah, wearing one stinks. Completely agree. But maybe as grownups we can give up just a little comfort for the greater good. A lot of our ancestors made sacrifices on a regular basis for this country that make complaining about mask wearing seem petty and downright ridiculous by comparison.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I also think it is more of a philosophical difference than a political one. But I am also a rule follower for the most part so will not push businesses too much on it, at least for now.

Virtual Toad

That is how my daughter's school district will be, except you can wear a mask if you want. Actually, they did this last year as well (we are new to the district this year), and had very few cases and no outbreaks.

Personally, I am not a fan of a one size fits all approach. What may work for one school district in a certain area may not necessarily apply to another. I also think leaders should be a bit more flexible.

Maybe I like the optout idea best for urban areas with significant spread? I go back and forth...
To clarify, no mask mandates allowed by the Governor but a few districts are challenging that. But kids are welcome to wear masks if they choose and thankfully some are. But there’s absolutely no sense of urgency to take precautions like we did last year and the COVID situation here is far worse. The official line on this sadly from top leadership is to prevent local officials from doing what they think is right based on conditions on the ground. There are no mandates— or even any encouragement— urging local governments to do the right thing. Only roadblocks preventing reasonable safety measures that were in place last year and helped keep cases at bay.

Not to ramble but it’s like preventing a beach town from mandating evacuations in the midst of a dangerous hurricane, because “freedom.”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
To clarify, no mask mandates allowed by the Governor but a few districts are challenging that. But kids are welcome to wear masks if they choose and thankfully some are. But there’s absolutely no sense of urgency to take precautions like we did last year and the COVID situation here is far worse. The official line on this sadly from top leadership is to prevent local officials from doing what they think is right based on conditions on the ground. There are no mandates— or even any encouragement— urging local governments to do the right thing. Only roadblocks preventing reasonable safety measures that were in place last year and helped keep cases at bay.

Not to ramble but it’s like preventing a beach town from mandating evacuations in the midst of a dangerous hurricane, because “freedom.”
I get why this could upset some people. We have a similar rule in my state that is also be challenged by some.

drizgirl

Yeah, wearing one stinks. Completely agree. But maybe as grownups we can give up just a little comfort for the greater good. A lot of our ancestors made sacrifices on a regular basis for this country that make complaining about mask wearing seem petty and downright ridiculous by comparison.
I know we know what our ancestors did. But I’m not convinced we know they did it without complaining.

Heppenheimer

I'm no constitutuonal scholar, but I'm pretty sure there is no such inscribed or implied freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom