Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizner92

Knowing full well that the people who struggle during the pandemic most financially are also disproportionately hit in other ways by the pandemic, I am no where near as baffled as you are. I understand you live here, but I think your mentality does leave out that the ones hurt the most with jobs you are asking to cut are the ones who are hospitalized and dying disproportionately otherwise. There will be no winning at all if we close again no matter how you look at it. We failed the first time, we cannot try a second knowing it will fail again.

What you find irresponsible is actually baffling to me. It's now irresponsible to not vaccinate. Disney is mandating it of employees. They are not being irresponsible. 18 months ago I'd be on your side. No longer here....
100% agree. Well said.

correcaminos

I don't even understand what this means. People have lost their jobs because of closures the world over. The (ethnic minority) community to which I belong in the UK is disproportionately unvaccinated.

And please let's be fair when quoting and paraphrasing each other. I am not "asking" for anyone's job to be cut.
You say you are baffled by the idea that Disney remains open. The ones doing the low paying jobs - the marginalized - are being hit disproportionately not just with vaccination but with negative outcomes of covid itself here in the US. You are talking globally, I am not. So by closing they are still at risk and are then financially ruined.. Edit I do understand that you do live in the US correct? I was making sure on that based on what I thought you said. Here phrases like ethnic minority are not well received either more as an FYI. So I use the preferred marginalized.

The US will not care enough for these people if we shut again. You don't want me paraphrasing your comments, so other than criticizing a company for vaccinating their workers and keepomg them employed what do you want them to do? I've asked and have not been answered outside of you being baffled by them remaining opened.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
WDW closes its doors and the rest of Florida marches on. Nothing changes except people losing jobs again. No change to the trend Florida is currently going through.
At this point, if it were not for the pressure all these hospitalizations put on hospitals and their workers, it would be difficult for me to care about the increasing cases.
And this takes us back to..get the shot.

LittleBuford

You say you are baffled by the idea that Disney remains open. The ones doing the low paying jobs - the marginalized - are being hit disproportionately not just with vaccination but with negative outcomes of covid itself here in the US. You are talking globally, I am not. So by closing they are still at risk and are then financially ruined. For the record ethnic minority is not a term I'd ever use here to be fair. Minority is quickly becoming a beyond taboo term as it misses how these people are being marginalized. It might be okay in the UK but ethnic minority will rub poorly here.

The US will not care enough for these people if we shut again. You don't want me paraphrasing your comments, so other than criticizing a company for vaccinating their workers and keepomg them employed what do you want them to do? I've asked and have not been answered outside of you being baffled by them remaining opened m
I was referring to my own community in the UK, where the term "ethnic minority" (or "minority ethnic") is standard. I myself identify as a member of an ethnic minority.

I'm baffled (there's that word again) that you've made this conversation so personal. You can disagree with me without accusing me of having no regard for people's livelihoods or trying to police my use of language.

correcaminos

100% agree. Well said.
I will say I was 100% for shut downs last year too. So I'm not some one sided person.
You realize the curve dropped because so many people died or suffered through Covid first, right? What a “win.”

India had no vaccines yet. Half of us do. We also have a much smaller population. Other than that, the same variant is spreading like wildfire here just like it did there - wherever there is opportunity. Nothing absurd about that comparison. We should have learned from India before it went crazy here. Some of us did.
Yes and no. They are comparing today's cases. Timeline with spikes matter. A county at the bottom vs one increasing isn't wise. Plus we knew FL was sucking it up per capita ages ago m

correcaminos

I was referring to my own community in the UK, where the term "ethnic minority" (or "minority ethnic") is standard. I myself identify as a member of an ethnic minority.

I'm baffled (there's that word again) that you've made this conversation so personal. You can disagree with me without accusing me of having no regard for people's livelihoods or trying to police my use of language.
I did edit to reclarify. Please read what I was meaning by bringing it up. I realized it sounded wrong the way I wrote it and I blame that on my dyslexia. I truly apologize. We often use poor words. If you do not live in the US then I have you confused with another and I apologize again. I truly thought you were trying to talk about people in the US not UK.

I am not trying to make it personal. I will ask a last time, what do you expect Disney to do?

Last edited:

correcaminos

Utter nonsense. All this myth that Sweden never went through a lockdown is mythical too. They needlessly wrecked their economy compared to their neighbours, and had a far worst outcome.
Not utter nonsense.

Often in many countries anyone seen as an "outsider" does not receive equal treatment.

Heppenheimer

Lol, we have one of the number 1 zoos in the nation thanks to Jack Hanna. Our zoo is about the same size as AK. I've met people from all over at our zoo. Ohio wasn't bad last summer but I really missed having the animals and actually rides too, to go on. Since my zoo has a mix of indoors and out. Rides as well. We're likely worse than just hiking. Not everything at Disney is indoors too. Often we're in and out as much. I don't think it's been considered a hot spot here though.

I did weirdly book a 1 day WDW trip for next month to ride Ratatouille. So I might be nuts as a whole.
Cincinnati, correct? Ohio isn't exactly high on my list of places to visit, but I do want to see that zoo. The closest zoo to where I live is in Granby, Quebec, so other than the Maine Wildlife Park (one of those places where they keep local wildlife that can't be released), we're basically starving for a good zoo day.

Oh, well. At least we occasionally see bears, coyotes, foxes and moose in our backyard.

LittleBuford

I did edit to reclarify. Please read what I was meaning by bringing it up. I realized it sounded wrong the way I wrote it and I blame that on my dyslexia. I truly apologize. We often use poor words. If you do not live in the US then I have you confused with another amd I apologize.

I am not trying to make it personal. I will ask a last time, what do you expect Disney to do?
No worries. We’re writing in a hurry, and tone can get lost in the process. I’m sorry for overreacting.

As to your question, I would like Disney to temporarily close while continuing to support all CMs. I realise this won’t happen, however. There are no easy answers here.

correcaminos

No worries. We’re writing in a hurry, and tone can get lost in the process. I’m sorry for overreacting.

As to your question, I would like Disney to temporarily close while continuing to support all CMs. I realise this won’t happen, however. There are no easy answers here.
Yep me typing fast=muddled thoughts always. I easily can confuse others as my brain and words don't always mesh up.

I really wish our country as a whole could have supported or future able to support what you would like. Reality bites though.

Lilofan

Not utter nonsense.

Often in many countries anyone seen as an "outsider" does not receive equal treatment.
Sad but true.

correcaminos

Cincinnati, correct? Ohio isn't exactly high on my list of places to visit, but I do want to see that zoo. The closest zoo to where I live is in Granby, Quebec, so other than the Maine Wildlife Park (one of those places where they keep local wildlife that can't be released), we're basically starving for a good zoo day.

Oh, well. At least we occasionally see bears, coyotes, foxes and moose in our backyard.
No, Columbus. I have been to Cincy zoo and it is a good zoo, but it's also the oldest zoo and it shows in how some layouts are for me. I regularly have gone to Cbus, Cincy and Toledo which all are often rated well for various reasons. Columbus usually beats Cincy in most ratings. Cincy is smaller so better with little ones though so can be rated higher for that and pure number of species. Has Fiona too. Columbus is pretty massive and based on my personal experiences really blows away the other zoos as a whole in my state. We go weekly since it's 20 mins away. Jack Hanna made this zoo great.

jlhwdw

You genuinely think they should shut down again? Or do you just like to say stuff like that to get a rise out of us.

jlhwdw

DAILY COVID CASES.

25924991.jpg

jlhwdw

I'd argue at this stage that the March-July 2020 closure was a mistake. Sure, close for a short period to plexiglass and distance sticker the place up. But in theory, after doing that, the place could have opened back up immediately. With the full set of mitigations it would have been no more dangerous to operate in April 2020 than it was after reopening.

carolina_yankee

My goodness, tell us how you really feel. The fact that WDW is open right now is getting old.

I'm curious - what's closed - anywhere in the country?

We know enough about this disease to know that virtually nothing has to close in order to be safe. We're safe by a) getting vaccinated, b) masking, c) distancing. Along with that is reducing the amount of time you are in confined areas with other people.

Florida's numbers are a scandal, but they aren't high because theme parks are open. They are high because people are making stupid choices. Including Disney, for pretending that the honor system worked.

Unless people are going to cough up the $$$ to cover workers salaries, absolutely nothing should close again. That will just create a different problem. Last year, when we didn't have vaccines and didn't know enough about how COVID spread, it was different.

While Orange County has about as many COVID cases as my entire most densely populated state, we have found that those who follow common sense are safe. My congregation has been open for services for over a year now - following guidelines - with the county per capita rate at one point equivalent to Florida's today - not a single incident of COVID spread.

Disney may well have to cut back capacity and socially distance again, but they do not have to close.

The scandal is that we know how to be safe, and we don't require people to take those steps. I'm all in favor of vaccine mandates and, if necessary, the choice of passports or testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom