Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

What about the people that did get vaccinated and were told "either get the vaccine or wear a mask?"
Well, this is Baltimore City. They just plain don't have the resources to instate a plan like in New York or Chicago where the vaccinated can forgo wearing masks. At the same time, all of the major hospitals in the area are here, so if you have patients with severe illness, they end up in Baltimore. So they absolutely have to keep it under control in the city so that the hospitals don't end up in the same situation that the Florida hospitals are in. If people really don't feel like wearing their masks, well, there's outdoor dining, and the surrounding counties don't have mask mandates, although private businesses are starting to ask everyone to wear masks.

I for one am just happy to have our politicians putting the blame in the correct place: with the people who can get vaccinated but refuse to.

StarWarsGirl

It was developed in the late 1970s, but was not widely available until 1984. And was not routinely given until the late 1980s.

Late enough that it wasn't available for my daughter (who got it at age 4 after a casual exposure - a few weeks after spending the day with a friend who had it without catching it) but it was available for her little brother.

I had it when I was around 7. My best friend caught it when she was 17, and had a much tougher time with it. There was a good reason for parents to want their children to get when they were between 2-12.
I have a friend who had it as a baby. She was sooooo sick with it, like to the point that they were really worried about whether she was going to make it. She's going to have to get the shingles vaccine when she's older.

StarWarsGirl

In the US it became available in 1995. I only know that because I was legally an adult who struggled for 4-5 years to get someone to vaccinate me.
"Chickenpox vaccine became available in the United States in 1995. Each year, more than 3.5 million cases of chickenpox, 9,000 hospitalizations, and 100 deaths are prevented by chickenpox vaccination in the United States."

I was vaccinated as an adult with this one. Prior to that I had no options. Every year that passed I worried more about catching it. There is no way I'd willingly let my kid catch it now. He was vaxxed in part to protect me.
Ah, that makes sense. My friend and I were born in 1995, and she had chicken pox as a baby. Her older siblings brought it home to her. I wondered why they weren't vaccinated; her mom is super on top of vaccines.

StarWarsGirl

That’s just the micro chips. Tomorrow you may have an overwhelming desire to buy a PC or at least upgrade your existing one to Windows 11 ;)
Windows 11?
big bang theory sheldon GIF

StarWarsGirl

I am older and remember some kid or other walking around scratching (calamine and confinement for the worst part) or some with mumps. I had both and thought it was a normal part of growing up. I'm now anticipating shingles at some point in my future. I think this is a similar spread but we hear about every case and the total numbers are staggering. All I knew back then is what I saw at school and in my neighborhood.

Oh, I don't think hundreds of thousands of people a year died from the chicken pox either
There is a vaccine ( improved) for shingles. You may want to consider getting it, if you are in the recommended age group.
Definitely seconding this. Shingles for some people is extremely nasty. For my grandfather (who also had MS) shingles was the begining of the end. My great aunt also had shingles and she has not been right since. She was totally healthy before the shingles and she's like a different person afterward. She's only 69 but she keeps falling in her home. It's bad. Get the vaccine.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Definitely seconding this. Shingles for some people is extremely nasty. For my grandfather (who also had MS) shingles was the begining of the end. My great aunt also had shingles and she has not been right since. She was totally healthy before the shingles and she's like a different person afterward. She's only 69 but she keeps falling in her home. It's bad. Get the vaccine.
My wife had shingles a few years ago and it was bad but she fully recovered. She had never had chicken pox but had been vaccinated.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have a friend who had it as a baby. She was sooooo sick with it, like to the point that they were really worried about whether she was going to make it. She's going to have to get the shingles vaccine when she's older.
Seeing she had such a bad case have her check with her doctor to see if she should get the shingles vaccine before 50 as in way early.

Lilofan

Seeing she had such a bad case have her check with her doctor to see if she should get the shingles vaccine before 50 as in way early.
Had the pollo pox when I was 14. I was covered so much with it I had it on parts of my body I didn't think it would be on.

correcaminos

Ah, that makes sense. My friend and I were born in 1995, and she had chicken pox as a baby. Her older siblings brought it home to her. I wondered why they weren't vaccinated; her mom is super on top of vaccines.
Yep and of course while it was suggested to parents, people debated the merits of vaccination because "nobody died of chicken pox" so maybe some your age also had parents hesitate. Even some of my friends with teens and young adults like you, questioned the need much like covid now. Some asked me what I planned to do with my son. It was never a question in my house ;)

Willmark

Trying being highly allergic to poison ivy as a kid. Had it so bad when I was five that my face essentially swelled shut. It was so bad I had slits for my eyes, mouth and nostrils with weeping poison Ivy discharge (it is like a semi-watery amber color); all contained with a swollen, puffy face. Sunlight and light hurt so bad I had to wear sunglasses and have lights low inside. The part (which I don’t remember) that was the toughest on my parents. I was a sitting outside with a floppy hat and sunglasses on and I turned and asked “mommy? Will my face ever look normal again?”

My mom and grandmother lost it.

Only places I didn’t have it were the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet (skin is too thick for it to break out there).

And when I say everywhere? I mean EVERYWHERE… imagine the trauma of that at five years old.

This was before the days of steroids to clear it up like I when I had it at 13 really bad on one arm, looked like Popeye that time.

As I’ve gotten older I’ve outgrown it thankfully.

Edit- I do remember waking up one night when I was five screaming and crying because all the discharge had dried and crusted my eyes shut. Think eye crusties at night but worse. They had to use warm wash clothes to break down the accumulated crust (like sap basically).

Last edited:

Willmark

^ as a rejoiner. I learned, that at least for poison ivy that if you can make it through the first 48 hours avoiding itching it will stop being itchy. To me poison ivy was about a thousand times more itchy than chicken pox which for me didn’t seem to be that bad after the experience at five.

YMMV

John park hopper

As a kid I would get poison ivy so bad on my hands my skin would crack and bleed. Without going into detail had it on my hands used the the bathroom you know the rest of the story. I would go to the doctor and get cortisone shots seemed to clear it up in a couple of days. As n adult haven't had it in many years thank god.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Looks like federal transportation's mask mandate will expire next month soon if the cases will going down enough as trains, buses and planes will lift mask mandate into optional if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom