Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
According to WFTV, Orange County Public Schools have changed course and have sent e-mails to parents saying that OCPS will be requiring students wear face coverings for the next 30 days, unless the parents specifically opt their child out.

Orange County schools start Monday.
opt out, eh. Interesting.

Patcheslee

The main thing I keep hearing people say around me is Delta is as contagious as chicken pox before we had the vaccine for it. I really don't have a good perception of that even though I'm 41 and we didn't have the vaccine. I just remember getting stuck in the same room with both my brothers who had em and mom annoyed I didn't catch em. So for those that have experienced chicken pox, would you say the contagion is similar? Just being in the room is enough?

correcaminos

The main thing I keep hearing people say around me is Delta is as contagious as chicken pox before we had the vaccine for it. I really don't have a good perception of that even though I'm 41 and we didn't have the vaccine. I just remember getting stuck in the same room with both my brothers who had em and mom annoyed I didn't catch em. So for those that have experienced chicken pox, would you say the contagion is similar? Just being in the room is enough?
I actually never caught chicken pox as a kid. Ever. I am now vaccinated for it.

We had it burn through friends in my classroom pretty fast at times. I remember more than once a bunch of friends out with it at the same time. A stat from the CDC: If one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.

I likely got very lucky since my best friends at different schools/stages in life came down with it with me being right by them. Or my immune system is super weird (says a person who never had an oral antibiotic in their life ever)

Disney Experience

A fairly long slide set, but goes over the likelihood of getting a disease under control. It is 15 years old, so it is a bit old.

For example it describes herd immunity relationship to R0 and Re, as well as the various R numbers of various diseases in different geographical locations and the needed protection level to get herd immunity.

Attachments

• 6E242447-8425-4635-AA9D-742ABEEB0EE2.png
    6E242447-8425-4635-AA9D-742ABEEB0EE2.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I seem to have gotten your case of chicken pox. Mild case both times thank goodness. rare but it does happen. Yes I got the shot as soon as I could

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wake up for the unvaccinated if able to , to get vaccinated.
Doesn‘t work when a large portion of the unvaccinated don’t believe most of those people actually died from Covid. That’s why our only choice is to stop talking about it and debating that nonsense and just make them get vaccinated to work and interact in public and be part of society. End of story, end of discussion. They can spend as much time as they want complaining about the requirements or debating the validity of studies or death numbers or anything else they please…right after they are done getting the shot.👍

JoeCamel

I actually never caught chicken pox as a kid. Ever. I am now vaccinated for it.

We had it burn through friends in my classroom pretty fast at times. I remember more than once a bunch of friends out with it at the same time. A stat from the CDC: If one person has it, up to 90% of the people close to that person who are not immune will also become infected.

I likely got very lucky since my best friends at different schools/stages in life came down with it with me being right by them. Or my immune system is super weird (says a person who never had an oral antibiotic in their life ever)
I am older and remember some kid or other walking around scratching (calamine and confinement for the worst part) or some with mumps. I had both and thought it was a normal part of growing up. I'm now anticipating shingles at some point in my future. I think this is a similar spread but we hear about every case and the total numbers are staggering. All I knew back then is what I saw at school and in my neighborhood.

Oh, I don't think hundreds of thousands of people a year died from the chicken pox either

Disney Experience

I am older and remember some kid or other walking around scratching (calamine and confinement for the worst part) or some with mumps. I had both and thought it was a normal part of growing up. I'm now anticipating shingles at some point in my future. I think this is a similar spread but we hear about every case and the total numbers are staggering. All I knew back then is what I saw at school and in my neighborhood.

Oh, I don't think hundreds of thousands of people a year died from the chicken pox either
There is a vaccine ( improved) for shingles. You may want to consider getting it, if you are in the recommended age group.

correcaminos

I'm old enough that the vaccine was not available until I was older. None of my friends had the vaccine. After 2 adult friends developed chicken pox and were hospitalized I decided vaccines were my best choice. I really cannot think of any of my friends my age who did not develop it. It ran through groups big in grade school and even middle school. Just what everyone had. I am young enough that MMR made mumps not common in my friends.

Of course doctors have no clue what to do yet for vaccinated with chicken pox and shingles. Some say get shingles vaccine and others say boosters of chicken pox. Some say do nothing. Ugh. Lol

Disney Experience

Chicken pox was about 4 millions cases per year and killed around 100 per year before vaccine was available.

chrisvee

2nd grade, most kids in my year got chicken pox and 3rd grade most got mumps.

We all just expected to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom