Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonniePeverley

I hear the term 'herd immunity' quite often - but is this an actual concept ? Once infected can another variant come and then rip through again?

DonniePeverley

Well this isn’t a miracle cure, and this is the first I’ve heard of really getting down to why so many go into the cytokine storm which ends up killing them.

I hope this helps. I know we have some great minds here in Canada.

There was talks of a breath test coming out of Singapore a few months ago, but quel surprise ...now nothing.

James J

In the Parks
No
Yeah, it definitely varies. I actually delayed a few weeks once I was eligible, simply because my boyfriend and parents all had pretty severe reactions for 24-48 hours, and I just couldn't afford to take a day or two off work if I got sick, too. In the end, I too ended up having nothing but a sore arm - and that was only the first time. The second one I had nothing.

I had my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday, and felt fine for most of the day. Then on Wednesday my arm was hugely sore, I had a raging headache and just felt really lethargic. Thankfully it only lasted for 24 hours and by yesterday afternoon I felt fine again! I was better with the first shot where I just had a sore arm for a day or so.

nickys

Premium Member
How on earth is Scotland just chugging along in a straight line, when they are part-and-parcel of that area??? What's their secret?
In case no one answered this.

Scotland didn’t relax many of the restrictions when England did. Our government are moving more cautiously and most of the restrictions will end on Monday. But masks will still be required in most indoor settings, on public transport, all hospitality, shops, museums etc. Also strict protocols in schools will continue, which start back in the next two weeks depending on area.

I expect we’ll see an increase in a few weeks.

Last edited:

TokyoMiki

Same folks mentioned above think since they probably already had Covid-19 Alpha (never got tested) in early 2019 that they are immune to all the variants.

Sounds plausible to me.

Some people are blessed with inherent biochemical amulets.

And they don't want to pay( in all of its forms) for others who either McDonalded and Wendied their way into a poor health or just drew lousy homeostatic cards in life.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Heppenheimer

You hear this type of story every month - a miracle cure, or some fantastic new research, and then nothing.
When you hear about a break-through in the basic science of a disease, any treatments that result from it are usually years away, if anything comes at all. Way beyond the timeline of the average news cycle. And if the concept ends up being a dead-end, it rarely gets reported outside of academic literature.

That being said, now that we can create 3D models of proteins relatively quickly (less than 10 years ago it was a painstakingly slow process), we could see a potential treatment application a little sooner. But I still wouldn't expect a major therapeutic application in the near future. Certainly not in time to help with the delta variant.

John park hopper

IMO this virus will be with us a long time simply because of the number of infection world wide coupled with the viruses higher mutation rate
"RNA viruses have high mutation rates—up to a million times higher than their hosts—and these high rates are correlated with enhanced virulence and evolvability, traits considered beneficial for viruses."
The delta variant today-- some other variant tomorrow. Let us hope it does not mutate into something more virulent in the future.

CLBMN

There was talks of a breath test coming out of Singapore a few months ago, but quel surprise ...now nothing.
Please educate yourself on the scientific process and what it entails.
Nothing is ever done fast (and sloppy) as you are hoping for; that is the safety process.
There is no reason for credible research to do science fast at the high risk of human life.
Stay safe all. 😊

DisneyCane

I would have taken any of the 3, but I’m team Moderna now :) It’s hard to believe I had to spend hours online looking for an appointment and it’s soooo easy now and so many people still can’t be bothered :(
All kidding aside, there seems to be evidence that J&J is less effective than the mRNA vaccines in preventing severe disease (at least with the Delta variant). J&J is better than not being vaccinated by a lot but, especially since the choice exists, I'd recommend Pfizer or Moderna to anybody getting vaccinated.

Lilofan

All kidding aside, there seems to be evidence that J&J is less effective than the mRNA vaccines in preventing severe disease (at least with the Delta variant). J&J is better than not being vaccinated by a lot but, especially since the choice exists, I'd recommend Pfizer or Moderna to anybody getting vaccinated.
Some went for J&J to get the one and done shot, I got the Moderna for improved effectiveness . I hope I made the right call.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
by the end of next week Florida will be officially in the majority fully vaccinated. That is a great milestone. And chin up, things slowly getting better all of the time.

Data says otherwise...

1628259233234.png

1628259258615.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hear the term 'herd immunity' quite often - but is this an actual concept ? Once infected can another variant come and then rip through again?

Certain diseases have been controlled through herd immunity like measles, mumps, and polio. Whether this one can be controlled that way is yet to be seen. For that to work the virus can't mutate to the point where it significantly evades immunity, and our immunity needs to last for a good period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom