Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

Deaths are certainly not the only thing that matters but why is it bad to see some positive in the fact that the vaccines are doing their job and protecting most of the highest risk people and despite a large spike in cases in certain areas in the US and previously in the UK, we aren’t seeing deaths spike? This isn’t something to be ”dusted off”, it’s a fact and it’s a great thing. Not everything has to be part of the fight, it’s not only “tastes great“ or “less filling”.
Thanks for saying better than I would have. :D
There’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s not an excuse to do what you want and move the goal posts to justify it…which has been a revolving door since March 2020.

to be clear: I know you are NOT doing that…but many will that’s why I quoted it.

the reality is probably this: we should just measure the confirmed infection cases and do what we have to - not what we want to - and drive them down.

Eh, you quoted mine, so you were way off base on that assumption.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s nothing wrong with that as long as it’s not an excuse to do what you want and move the goal posts to justify it…which has been a revolving door since March 2020.

to be clear: I know you are NOT doing that…but many will that’s why I quoted it.

the reality is probably this: we should just measure the confirmed infection cases and do what we have to - not what we want to - and drive them down.
No doubt. What you describe is the tastes great to your less filling. I’m just saying as a society we need to drop the sides. We all want the same thing (most of us anyway). We all want a return to normal and covid to be behind us and the only way that happens is if more people et vaccinated. Bringing masks back for everyone while probably necessary due to case spikes in areas, really does nothing to get us over the finish line. We need to come together for the greater good and get the rest of the people vaccinated. The more divided the country becomes the less likely that happens. So while I’m mad as heck that more people won’t get vaccinated I can‘t do a whole lot to change that but I am trying not to be part of the problem by continuing the fight.

dreday3

I can't find my vaccination card. :( I think it was shredded (don't ask, long story).

I haven't needed to show it yet, but I'm concerned. I do have an app on my phone for my hospital chart that has my records of shots available, would that work if needed? I sent email asking if I can get a replacement card, but not sure if they do that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No doubt. What you describe is the tastes great to your less filling. I’m just saying as a society we need to drop the sides. We all want the same thing (most of us anyway). We all want a return to normal and covid to be behind us and the only way that happens is if more people et vaccinated. Bringing masks back for everyone while probably necessary due to case spikes in areas, really does nothing to get us over the finish line. We need to come together for the greater good and get the rest of the people vaccinated. The more divided the country becomes the less likely that happens. So while I’m mad as heck that more people won’t get vaccinated I can‘t do a whole lot to change that but I am trying not to be part of the problem by continuing the fight.
I wish I had your optimism…the problem is we clearly all don’t want the same things.

we are NOT the WW2 generation…and that’s a huge part of the problem…even with their flaws

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah..... Really don't see that happening.

Edit.. And I don't say that to be a snarky witch. I genuinely genuinely do not see how that will be possible. I mean look around us.
It could eventually. The measles vaccine was invented in the 1950s but measles wasn’t eliminated in the US until 2000. It may take some time but we have a much more robust system of manufacturing and delivering vaccines today than 50 years ago.

And iterations of the Corona virus family have been around for centuries. If it's so easy to eradicate with a vaccine, why didn't they develop one decades ago and start then? Probably because they were very different strains, and that's what I mostly meant up above. We might be able to eradicate this one mutation of the Corona virus, but I don't see us eradicating all strains of it. Therefore it's still going to be around.
There’s no reason to make a vaccine for a mostly harmless virus. If Covid becomes endemic but mostly harmless than it will never be eliminated or eradicated. If it stays harmful and deadly it could eventually be eliminated in most places. It’s probably up to the virus to decide how it wants to play this ;)

havoc315

Deaths are certainly not the only thing that matters but why is it bad to see some positive in the fact that the vaccines are doing their job and protecting most of the highest risk people and despite a large spike in cases in certain areas in the US and previously in the UK, we aren’t seeing deaths spike? This isn’t something to be ”dusted off”, it’s a fact and it’s a great thing. Not everything has to be part of the fight, it’s not only “tastes great“ or “less filling”.

I 100% agree that a lower death rate is better than a higher death rate. I 100% agree that the vaccine is indeed providing a benefit of keeping death rates much lower.

Though it's false to say that we "aren't seeing deaths spike." Fortunately, the death peak is MUCH lower than prior Covid surges. But there is still a spike.

In the UK, deaths went from a low point of 7-day average of 6 deaths per day up to 71 per day, a 12x increase. And it's still rising, as the deaths lag infection.
The US may see higher death peaks, given we never got as low as the UK to start with and have lower vaccination.
I doubt the US will go back to 3,000 deaths per day, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we went back to 1,000 per day. And I would be surprised if we don't increase to at least 500 per day. Deaths are just starting to rise in US states with the earliest and biggest Covid surges -- Florida's 7 day average has already risen from 22 to 52, I suspect it will go over 100 day day. Louisiana has gone from 4 to 11.
Importantly, these aren't the peaks -- These numbers will get higher, maybe significantly higher.

So yes, thankfully, the spikes is deaths should be much lower than prior surges. Sadly, there will still be a significant increase in death.

Chi84

Premium Member
I can't find my vaccination card. :( I think it was shredded (don't ask, long story).

I haven't needed to show it yet, but I'm concerned. I do have an app on my phone for my hospital chart that has my records of shots available, would that work if needed? I sent email asking if I can get a replacement card, but not sure if they do that.
It doesn’t seem they are doing replacements but you can go to the provider and request proof.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish I had your optimism…the problem is we clearly all don’t want the same things.

we are NOT the WW2 generation…and that’s a huge part of the problem…even with their flaws
Maybe I’m overly optimistic (probably😇) but I think less than 10% of the country is on either extreme. Yes, there are people who won‘t get the vaccine due to politics which is pathetic and there are some people gleeful and happy to see even a small return to mitigations because they love the fight too much to care about the big picture. If the rest of us in the 80% that’s left come together and ignore the other 20% we all win and they lose. Let’s do that 👍👍👍

dreday3

It doesn’t seem they are doing replacements but you can go to the provider and request proof.

I just emailed covid/city of Chicago and they emailed me a link to fill out. They will send a PDF of proof of my immunization (they don't give out replacement cards).

Between that and my own medical records on my phone app, I think I'll be covered! :D

dreday3

Maybe I’m overly optimistic (probably😇) but I think less than 10% of the country is on either extreme. Yes, there are people who won‘t get the vaccine due to politics which is pathetic and there are some people gleeful and happy to see even a small return to mitigations because they love the fight too much to care about the big picture. If the rest of us in the 80% that’s left come together and ignore the other 20% we all win and they lose. Let’s do that 👍👍👍

And they are all on these boards! 😂

ImperfectPixie

It could eventually. The measles vaccine was invented in the 1950s but measles wasn’t eliminated in the US until 2000. It may take some time but we have a much more robust system of manufacturing and delivering vaccines today than 50 years ago.

There’s no reason to make a vaccine for a mostly harmless virus. If Covid becomes endemic but mostly harmless than it will never be eliminated or eradicated. If it stays harmful and deadly it could eventually be eliminated in most places. It’s probably up to the virus to decide how it wants to play this ;)
Some of the big differences between COVID and the other coronaviruses is the severity of some of the symptoms and the long-term effects. I haven't seen any data on the effects people who are vaccinated have experienced yet...that most seem to only feel like they have a cold sounds great, but the myriad of long-term effects being reported even among those who had mild COVID is very concerning.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Because this virus is too quick to adapt... This isn't even the first covid strain, just the first that is reached this level of pandemic. This is going to be more like the flu in the long run with multiple variants running around where we might get seasonal shots for whatever variant they think is going to be strongest that year. The viruses that we manage to eradicate off the face of the Earth were much more stable. We still haven't even fully eradicated polio all across the world and that's been decades. The only widely known one is smallpox and that was a miracle.

COVID-2 actually mutates comparatively slowly.

DisneyCane

Let me just put this out there:

In the history of vaccine science, every effective vaccine that has ever been created has reduced or eliminated symptoms in a very high percentage of people who are invaded by the virus being vaccinated against AND has significantly reduced transmission of the virus from people who are vaccinated. For every past virus where a vaccine was created and a large percentage of the population (normally school aged and younger children) was vaccinated, the latter characteristic essentially eradicated the viruses from the face of the earth.

However, for this specific variant of SARS-CoV-2, which is still similar enough to the original to be called a "variant" and not a "strain," the vaccines still reduce or eliminate symptoms at nearly the same effectiveness as they did for other strains but have stopped preventing transmission from vaccinated people?

With the change in guidance, what the CDC is essentially saying is that, for the purpose of stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the vaccines may as well not exist. Instead of saying I'm vaccinated I should be saying that I have taken a long lasting prophylactic against symptoms caused by SARS-CoV-2.

If this, in fact, the case, those who believe mitigation should be based on case numbers and community transmission are in favor of perpetual mitigation because there will always be cases and high community transmission.

ImperfectPixie

Let me just put this out there:

In the history of vaccine science, every effective vaccine that has ever been created has reduced or eliminated symptoms in a very high percentage of people who are invaded by the virus being vaccinated against AND has significantly reduced transmission of the virus from people who are vaccinated. For every past virus where a vaccine was created and a large percentage of the population (normally school aged and younger children) was vaccinated, the latter characteristic essentially eradicated the viruses from the face of the earth.

However, for this specific variant of SARS-CoV-2, which is still similar enough to the original to be called a "variant" and not a "strain," the vaccines still reduce or eliminate symptoms at nearly the same effectiveness as they did for other strains but have stopped preventing transmission from vaccinated people?

With the change in guidance, what the CDC is essentially saying is that, for the purpose of stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the vaccines may as well not exist. Instead of saying I'm vaccinated I should be saying that I have taken a long lasting prophylactic against symptoms caused by SARS-CoV-2.

If this, in fact, the case, those who believe mitigation should be based on case numbers and community transmission are in favor of perpetual mitigation because there will always be cases and high community transmission.
The vaccines also reduce transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom