Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricsBiscuit

why do you care what I do?

bc I am involved in humankind
Humankind. Lol. Anyways, I don’t see any unvaccinated people clamoring for masks. Notice it’s only the vaccinated people who are demanding masks. If they’re vaccinated it literally does not matter for them.

Is that people who are in the hospital because of COVID or people in the hospital for another reason with COVID?

ImperfectPixie

Then why did the CDC just say that I (fully vaccinated) should be wearing a mask indoors? That's my point. The change in guidance is telling me that they don't.
Because you're looking for reasons that nothing will help.

If the vaccines didn't help reduce transmission, we wouldn't have seen the huge drop in cases we did.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyCane

Because you're looking for reasons that nothing will help.

If the vaccines didn't help reduce transmission, we wouldn't have seen the huge drop in cases we did.
OK. So I ask again, if they reduce transmission then why am I being told by the CDC that I should be wearing a mask when I am fully vaccinated?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let me just put this out there:

In the history of vaccine science, every effective vaccine that has ever been created has reduced or eliminated symptoms in a very high percentage of people who are invaded by the virus being vaccinated against AND has significantly reduced transmission of the virus from people who are vaccinated. For every past virus where a vaccine was created and a large percentage of the population (normally school aged and younger children) was vaccinated, the latter characteristic essentially eradicated the viruses from the face of the earth.

However, for this specific variant of SARS-CoV-2, which is still similar enough to the original to be called a "variant" and not a "strain," the vaccines still reduce or eliminate symptoms at nearly the same effectiveness as they did for other strains but have stopped preventing transmission from vaccinated people?

With the change in guidance, what the CDC is essentially saying is that, for the purpose of stopping the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the vaccines may as well not exist. Instead of saying I'm vaccinated I should be saying that I have taken a long lasting prophylactic against symptoms caused by SARS-CoV-2.

If this, in fact, the case, those who believe mitigation should be based on case numbers and community transmission are in favor of perpetual mitigation because there will always be cases and high community transmission.
I disagree with this. What the CDC is really saying is that we don’t have enough people vaccinated to avoid large outbreaks of Covid like we are currently experiencing. Since the honor system failed and unvaccinated people failed to continue recommended mitigation the best way to get them to comply is to make everyone go back to masks indoors temporarily. This move in no way is downplaying the effectiveness of the vaccines. In the part about fully vaccinated people spreading Covid they repeatedly said in rare cases. Mitigations were dialed down in May because we were ramping up vaccinations and cases were dropping. Cases spiked, we ramp back up mitigations, cases drop we dial back. This will continue indefinitely until either we get enough people vaccinated or enough people are naturally infected (really a combo of both). As a fully vaccinated person there isn’t much you can do. Our sole focus should be on whatever it takes to get the rest vaccinated.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
OK. So I ask again, if they reduce transmission then why am I being told by the CDC that I should be wearing a mask when I am fully vaccinated?

Because they probably have data that indicates that with our current vaccination level, transmission from vaccinated people is high enough to be of concern.

Here is a good article on this topic as it applies to COVID and other vaccines...

Because there's no way to feasibly require & enforce that all non-vaccinated people wear masks. This isn't complicated at all. It's anti-vaxx non-maskers ruining it for everyone, and the end result is that now we're back to near-universal masking until we can get children vaccinated and while individual government agencies and business entities roll out vaccine mandates. None of this is hard to understand, but then, you're arguing in bad faith anyway

Touchdown

Because there's no way to feasibly require & enforce that all non-vaccinated people wear masks. This isn't complicated at all. It's anti-vaxx non-maskers ruining it for everyone, and the end result is that now we're back to near-universal masking until we can get children vaccinated and while individual government agencies and business entities roll out vaccine mandates. None of this is hard to understand, but then, you're arguing in bad faith anyway
It has nothing to do with this. Stop talking this up, it’s not true.

DisneyCane

ALSO...

Did you ever think that maybe they're trying to find ways to get the people who keep breaking the honor system to actually put on a mask?
I disagree with this. What the CDC is really saying is that we don’t have enough people vaccinated to avoid large outbreaks of Covid like we are currently experiencing. Since the honor system failed and unvaccinated people failed to continue recommended mitigation the best way to get them to comply is to make everyone go back to masks indoors temporarily. This move in no way is downplaying the effectiveness of the vaccines. In the part about fully vaccinated people spreading Covid they repeatedly said in rare cases. Mitigations were dialed down in May because we were ramping up vaccinations and cases were dropping. Cases spiked, we ramp back up mitigations, cases drop we dial back. This will continue indefinitely until either we get enough people vaccinated or enough people are naturally infected (really a combo of both). As a fully vaccinated person there isn’t much you can do. Our sole focus should be on whatever it takes to get the rest vaccinated.
Because the honor system didn't work. There are far too many dishonorable people

The CDC justified the change because of the supposed risk of transmission by vaccinated people. If the real reason was to force the unvaccinated to wear masks then they should have just said that. I thought we were supposed to get honesty and transparency about COVID.

Is lying for a good reason supposed to get people to trust what they are being told?

Heppenheimer

Humankind. Lol. Anyways, I don’t see any unvaccinated people clamoring for masks. Notice it’s only the vaccinated people who are demanding masks. If they’re vaccinated it literally does not matter for them.

Is that people who are in the hospital because of COVID or people in the hospital for another reason with COVID?
This line of thinking is so March of 2020. We went over this hundreds of times last year. COVID is not an isolated disease. It can cause a respiratory illness that then puts people in sepsis, which then can knock out any vital organ through many different mechanisms. It doesn't matter if they're hospitalized with a pure COVID respiratory disease or COVID-triggered septic shock with resultant myocardial infarcts, kidney failure or stroke... COVID was the trigger.

Hospitalized because of COVID or with COVID is not a real distinction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The CDC justified the change because of the supposed risk of transmission by vaccinated people. If the real reason was to force the unvaccinated to wear masks then they should have just said that. I thought we were supposed to get honesty and transparency about COVID.

Is lying for a good reason supposed to get people to trust what they are being told?
It’s not lying. If the only reason was transmission from vaccinated people it would be nationally not in high spread areas. It’s obvious that the real reason is spread is too high in some areas. You wearing a mask does nothing to stop that, but everyone wearing a mask in public can help because “everyone” includes the unvaccinated. It’s not about you it’s about the group.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Risk of transmission was their reason for doing it. Forcing the unvaccinated to wear a mask is a side benefit.

KrzyKtty

It could eventually. The measles vaccine was invented in the 1950s but measles wasn’t eliminated in the US until 2000. It may take some time but we have a much more robust system of manufacturing and delivering vaccines today than 50 years ago.

There’s no reason to make a vaccine for a mostly harmless virus. If Covid becomes endemic but mostly harmless than it will never be eliminated or eradicated. If it stays harmful and deadly it could eventually be eliminated in most places. It’s probably up to the virus to decide how it wants to play this ;)
That's pretty much what I was trying to say, I just think you brought it across much better. I was basically saying that I do not see Covid ever becoming completely eradicated, but mostly harmless as the vaccine and natural immunities start playing out.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This line of thinking is so March of 2020. We went over this hundreds of times last year. COVID is not an isolated disease. It can cause a respiratory illness that then puts people in sepsis, which then can knock out any vital organ through many different mechanisms. It doesn't matter if they're hospitalized with a pure COVID respiratory disease or COVID-triggered septic shock with resultant myocardial infarcts, kidney failure or stroke... COVID was the trigger.

The CDC did muddy the waters a bit on this point since they do make the distinction when it comes to breakthrough infections.

EricsBiscuit

It absolutely is a real distinction. You can have covid with no symptoms. What if they only have the sniffles but are in because of a broken leg or a heart attack? Who knows? The data needs to be more specific.

DisneyCane

It’s not lying. If the only reason was transmission from vaccinated people it would be nationally not in high spread areas. It’s obvious that the real reason is spread is too high in some areas. You wearing a mask does nothing to stop that, but everyone wearing a mask in public can help because “everyone” includes the unvaccinated. It’s not about you it’s about the group.
The non-high spread areas are becoming more rare by the day. As of the latest map, a huge part of NJ is now orange. Orange and red are starting to dot PA, OH and NY. The only States with large swaths of low spread are the very rural areas in the Dakotas, Montana and Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom