Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

The potential vaccine evading new variant mantra has become the "chicken little" of COVID. Other than the constant new strains of influenza which I'm not sure is really the same thing, what virus has mutated to evade a vaccine since vaccines were discovered? I'm genuinely asking. Without clear examples, that narrative becomes just another scare tactic that will end up doing the opposite of increasing vaccine acceptance.

It is basically saying "get vaccinated but if enough people in the world don't get vaccinated quickly enough then the vaccine probably won't work long term anyway." Not really a compelling sales pitch for the hesitant/resistant.

A lot of things could happen. A bat could poop onto somebody's head an start the spread of a whole new virus for which there isn't a vaccine and that virus could be more deadly than COVID-19.
Get vaccinated. Wear a mask if you can't. Both of these will reduce spread and lessen the possibility an escape/worse variant. It's common freaking sense.

DisneyCane

What is happening is hospitals again filling up, decreasing the level of care for all patients. But you’re not the one having to deal with it so it’s all fine.
According to data from HHS at https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization, 19% of inpatient beds and 16% of ICU beds in FL are not currently being used. We may have a different definition of "filling up" but that doesn't fit my definition of it.

The Mom

Premium Member
why not? My 65+ parent is on vacation right now.... granted a non Disney one with one of my siblings, but they do travel ya know ;)
Exactly. Prior to Covid, we did more recreational traveling after age 65 than when we were younger. No planning time off, working around school schedules, having to pay x4 for flights, tickets, etc.

Contrary to popular opinion among some young people, people 65+ are not all sitting around waiting to die.

DisneyCane

I saw firsthand when I took a loved one to the hospital ER. Hospitals filling up is a mild understatement, patients piled up in ER hallways waiting for an available room , patients lining up some in wheel chairs in 95 degree heat on the sidewalk waiting to get checked into the ER can send the message home.
This narrative has to stop also. We need to dispense with the myth that patients were never seen in hallways of ERs before COVID. I took my next door neighbor's daughter to the ER at Memorial West in Pembroke Pines circa 2012 and she was put on a gurney in a hallway, was seen and treated there and spent 12 hours there until she was released.

Every single thing currently occurring isn't unique to COVID-19. ERs have had long waits at times. This isn't something new.

lazyboy97o

According to data from HHS at https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization, 19% of inpatient beds and 16% of ICU beds in FL are not currently being used. We may have a different definition of "filling up" but that doesn't fit my definition of it.
AdventHealth obviously thinks there is an issue. Are the vaccinated people having care delayed not being impacted?

This narrative has to stop also. We need to dispense with the myth that patients were never seen in hallways of ERs before COVID. I took my next door neighbor's daughter to the ER at Memorial West in Pembroke Pines circa 2012 and she was put on a gurney in a hallway, was seen and treated there and spent 12 hours there until she was released.

Every single thing currently occurring isn't unique to COVID-19. ERs have had long waits at times. This isn't something new.
Hospitals typically filled up for short bursts in the winter. Not for several weeks over the summer.

Heppenheimer

No, full ERs are nothing new. The degree and frequency of this happening, though, has been unprecedented over the past year and a half, particularly for the summer months. Hmm, what changed in that time that wasn't a factor previously?

Heppenheimer

An open ICU bed means nothing if you don't have the nurses to staff it. And only 16% vaccancy seems really tight. In hospitals where I've worked, usually about 50% of the ICU beds were open at any given time. Only at Walter Reed during the height of the Iraq war were the med and surgical ICUs consistently full.

Heelz2315

Despite removing mitigation measures, the UK Delta variant spike seems to clearly be on the decline. I expect the same thing will happen in FL and other areas of the US, just offset in time.

View attachment 574939

Saw that yesterday. The US typically runs about 3-5 weeks behind the UK. They do have a larger percentage of folks vaccinated than the US, that may hold our turn downward out a few weeks. 7 or 8 maybe? Puts it somewhere late September or October turning for the USA.

Trauma

Should this be it?

I know there will be smaller spikes over the course of time but unless this mutates to dodge the vaccine ( that’s unlikely ) should this be the last big spike?

Trauma

Saw that yesterday. The US typically runs about 3-5 weeks behind the UK. They do have a larger percentage of folks vaccinated than the US, that may hold our turn downward out a few weeks. 7 or 8 maybe? Puts it somewhere late September or October turning for the USA.
If we look at the UK spike you have to be encouraged.

Lots of cases sure.

Such a low number of deaths.

So far same trend in the states.

Cases not deaths.

I really hope it stays that way.

Lilofan

You are incorrect. This is no narrative or myth. I have friends and family also that work as doctors and RNs. The hospitals are currently being overrun. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Turtlekrawl

In Singapore, whose population has the second highest vaccine rate ( Pfizer and Moderna) the number of vaccinated vs unvaccinated covid cases are almost proportional to the vaccination rate. But this includes all cases whether serious or not.
75% of covid cases are in the vaccinated group.
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...ee-quarters-recent-covid-19-cases-2021-07-23/
I bet we would see close to that here if we kept testing at a high rate. But we aren’t testing vaccinated people as much anymore so won’t see the true case numbers. And that’s ok.

LittleBuford

Liklier how? I'm looking at data in India and a few other places and don't see it.
Because many unvaccinated people suddenly started mixing in crowded settings, with no masks, distancing, or testing whatsoever. Even the prime minister, who tried to sell the lifting of restrictions as a triumphal move, has urged people not to jump to conclusions about the figures (see the link I posted above).

Heelz2315

Should this be it?

I know there will be smaller spikes over the course of time but unless this mutates to dodge the vaccine ( that’s unlikely ) should this be the last big spike?

I've wondered the same thing. Is this the LAST big spike in Covid cases? Not sure, but by the nature of more people getting vaccinated in some form against it (either natural infection or through vaccinations) each wave will be smaller and smaller. I still think we will have decent sized spikes for at least another year.

After that it should become a blip on the daily radar. (pending no variant pierces immunity and the vaccines hold)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom