Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Ultimately, Disney is going to make a decision based on their capital reserves. If they feel they can endure the short term losses of either a mask mandate or a new park closure better than they can endure the long term effects of a public perception that the parks were enabling the spread of a deadly pandemic, they'll change their mask policy. If they feel their cash/credit reserves are not sufficient to weather that storm, they're going to continue to operate as usual with their fingers crossed and hope for the best. Of course, theres a third possibility, which is that the leadership responsible for these decisions are either inept, or ideologically incapable, of making a rational calculation here.
The parks have been open for awhile with no hit to public perception.

If the public was concerned about the virus you would see a lot more people wearing masks at the parks.

Heck the UK has opened back up right in the middle of the spike and we are gonna close down again?

Makes no sense.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Interesting article in STAT today talking comparing average of new cases with rate of acceleration - noting that we are in a period where acceleration is the highest of any wave, and that acceleration is highest where vaccinations are the lowest.

Logically consistent, but they have data and charts to back up the logic.
I wonder the current wave will be ending very soon by fall as many people will be forcing to get vaccinating.

The parks have been open for awhile with no hit to public perception.

If the public was concerned about the virus you would see a lot more people wearing masks at the parks.

Heck the UK has opened back up right in the middle of the spike and we are gonna close down again?

Makes no sense.
I assure you, they're very concerned about post-pandemic analysis. The possibility that a year from now, two years from now, a zinger of an article comes out, a long form investigative look at how the pandemic unfolded, or more terrifying for them yet a documentary that captures the publics attention, and it's backed up with receipts to show that despite absolutely explosive infection rates in the area of the parks, (or worse yet they somehow come up with numbers in the parks) that Disney leadership knew yet did nothing and turned the parks into a covid factory, exporting case after case back to peoples home towns around the country/world?

What about the absolute worst case scenario of a 6th variant emerging that picks up the monicker "The Disney Variant?"

Unless the leadership is absolutely recklessly cavalier, or flat-out ideologically deluded and detached from reality, these are absolutely the concerns they're weighing, and they're looking at the costs of avoiding them now vs. paying for them later in terms of public perception.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As it applies to a WDW vacation I don't think there are many 65+ folks from Alabama and Arkansas planning a WDW vacation.
I have no idea how many would go to WDW. If they are unvaccinated and do plan to travel pretty much anywhere except maybe Vermont :) they should probably delay those plans until fully vaccinated or at least wear a mask and avoid crowded places.

Trauma

Indoor masks will return at WDW. Mark me.
What a disaster for them.

No way the can bring back masks and then announce paid fast passes a week later.

Oh well at least it will be a great opportunity to short the stock.

If they cave and bring back masks now who knows when they will be able to drop the requirement again.

Could be 2025 at this pace.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

No way the can bring back masks and then announce paid fast passes a week later.

If they bring cave and bring back masks now who knows when they will be able to drop the requirement again.

Yep, we’re living in a disaster all right. You can say that again.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

If they cave and bring back masks now who knows when they will be able to drop the requirement again.

Um talk to Sonic the Hedgehog here, the pandemic may be over by then so leave the doom and groom things alone please?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I seem to remember way back when you swore that Broadway would return before Disney opened.

It's ok. I think everyone in this thread has made predictions and have been wrong about them. It happens.
If I said that, I must have been drinking some extra fine bourbon. I have a good stock on hand usually but not THAT good.

Here in NY at ground zero (again), I’m still shocked that it’s officially opening up. Kinda mad about it, even with friends who do work in the theater.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Didn't all that plexi glass get removed? Looking like a busy time for Plexiglas installers again...
I don’t see distancing or plexiglass coming back. If the CDC and Orange County change their guidance to being back masks indoors for everyone maybe Disney would do that too. What they can’t or won’t do is reduce park capacity and/or ride capacity and/or restaurant capacity. There’s no way to do that without a riot from guests. Masks are an inconvenience to guests but they don’t impact operations outside of the burden on CMs to enforce the rules.

Mark52479

I don know I am on the fence with this one. Part of me thinks Disney will return to Indoor masks and part of me doesn't.

Since no mandates will come out of Florida, if CDC changes their course I can see Disney going back to indoor masks.

On the flip side, we have heard reports Chapek hated the masks and wanted them gone asap. So there is that.

I dont think we ever see Disney World shutdown again and I dont think we ever see outdoor masks. But indoors....I think its 50/50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom