• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

ohioguy

We need to get the vaccine into the arms of more people or we're going to have a mutation of the virus (again). We have to reach herd immunity or risk seasonal breakouts continuing forever with deeper and darker strains. While I doubt government will impose a mandate, we are already seeing employers, travel destinations, and restaurants requiring proof of vaccination. All the better in my view -- if you want to enjoy normal life, then you need to get with the program.

Spare me any talk about one's "freedom"; let's talk about RESPONSIBILITY.

Touchdown

Several weeks ago, I shared that I was tired of the rolled eyes and odd looks I get from still wearing a mask as a vaxx'd but immunocompromised person. And many of you all said "Ohhhh! Who would even do that?"

It's people like you.
I don’t roll my eyes or ridicule. Besides I have no idea if you are vaxxed or not in public. I believe the eye rolls and second glances are because people think you aren’t vaxxed but scared of Covid. However I feel ridiculous wearing one in public currently, if I’m required to I do, but I take it off as soon as I’m not.

helenabear

Apparently we do. I live in New England, and we had mask mandates, and everyone wore them.

At the very beginning you saw some people trying to sneak around without them, but that ended very quickly. I didn't see a single person in a store/etc. without a mask for almost a year, until the bone-headed decision to lift restrictions on the honor system.
I live in the suburbs of the largest city in my state. Inside my limits, you saw no one. Going to places like the Columbus zoo you saw 99% in the beginning. At the end before it was removed you saw more. As I said there were some stores that actually tried to pull "no masks" and kept doors open when they were supposed to be close, but those were rare.

Go just outside of that and it was a free for all and not enforced at all. A friend of mine caught covid and died - likely picking it up at work. Spouse (also friend) fortunately had a mild case. It sucked near where I live. And our vaccination rates are low in some of the same spots.

It will only be worse now.

Remember the mask doesn’t protect you it protects others.

You have already done the best thing to protect others, getting vaccinated.
I doubt it, as it was bad here though weirdly our cases aren't skyrocketing yet. In one county the largest population of those sick were the 20-29 year old having nearly 30% of all cases. I just wonder if enough people were sick previously to help this time around.

Masks do offer the wearer protection as well. Though yes, vaccinated here and made sure all were. Trying my best to get more.

helenabear

To clarify, I may be British, but I live in the US, and I know that you have nothing here resembling an official church (not that the Church of England has anything like the influence that Christianity does on this side of the pond). The only thing that confused me was the suggestion that churches in the US could get in (legal) trouble for encouraging their parishioners to get vaccinated. The point has since been clarified.
I should clarify here too... we have special elections next week here so some are being uber careful. Especially my church after that one guest preacher really got in trouble for breaking rules that could've lost the church their status. Since then our church is specifically incredibly careful. A big church like Hillsong may be far more over cautious to not cross a line because they are so global. That was where my brain was going.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are kids required to wear masks if they are visiting WDW right now?
Unvaccinated people are required to wear masks indoors, fully vaccinated people are not. Nobody is required to wear a mask outdoors. Everyone still has to wear masks on all Disney transportation. Disney‘s policy is they will not enforce mask rules anymore or check vaccination status of anyone so while it’s technically required for unvaccinated people while indoors nothing happens if you don’t follow the rule. They are basically following the CDC guidelines using the honor system. The only place the rules are being actively enforced is on transportation.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Now soon before the school year begins, the kids will be forced to get vaccinated in NYC as NJ too as they will order go back to school if they are been fully vaccinated by fall.

helenabear

I have to say I loathe "twitter articles" Seriously.

I am not a fan of what this guy is saying. We have the original 44k+ that they are following and totally ignoring on going trials specifically for boosters. I really think people speculating when we are working on data is weird to me. Honestly his 'article' was not really helpful or much of anything.

havoc315

I am not a fan of what this guy is saying. We have the original 44k+ that they are following and totally ignoring on going trials specifically for boosters. I really think people speculating when we are working on data is weird to me. Honestly his 'article' was not really helpful or much of anything.

This isn’t random Twitter dude. He has been a Covid leader from the start and was a senior advisor to Biden on covid.

While not a scientist really himself, he has been on the forefront of the science. He is simply providing an update on where the science stands: there is a waning effect of the vaccine after 6 months, but the degree to which it wanes and the need for boosters is still under investigation. It is likely that at least the elderly and those immuno compromised will need boosters.

Twitter can be a major source of misinformation — but it all depends who you read. It’s about listening to the right people.

The problem with the main stream media is that they are often days/weeks behind the science, and often the journalists don’t fully understand what they are reporting upon. Creating late superficial stories. (Not fake news — they aren’t lying. Just they sometimes lack depth and context).

DisneyCane

Agree we need to wait for data. I will say that if it turns out that boosters are needed after six months it makes the vaccination effort completely ineffective. There is no way to produce and administer enough doses fast enough worldwide to ever get near herd immunity.

Hopefully it's just an overreaction to one flawed study.

havoc315

Agree we need to wait for data. I will say that if it turns out that boosters are needed after six months it makes the vaccination effort completely ineffective. There is no way to produce and administer enough doses fast enough worldwide to ever get near herd immunity.

Hopefully it's just an overreaction to one flawed study.

- We aren’t going to get to herd immunity. That ship has sailed.
-We can get to the point where wide vaccination renders covid far less serious of a concern. Much like seasonal flu eventually.
-I’ve never like the flu comparisons. Because Covid was NOT comparable to the flu in the past. But it may be more comparable over time in the future. Even without an annual flu shot, most people are able to fight off the flu, partially because they do have partial immunity from past exposures, past vaccines. And an annual flu shot does provide extra immunity each year for those that get it.

I suspect this is the direction we are going in. Covid flare-ups with seasonal changes and new variants. Far less deadly, as even old vaccination/infection continues to bring some protection. Annual boosters tailored to the newest variants for additional protection.

Kevin_W

In good news: the UK cases seem to have peaked nearly a week ago and are plummeting downwards, about 2 months after the uptick began. Similarly, in the less-vaccinated India, cases started to drop a little under 2 months after their surge began (though their new baseline is 2-3x higher than the old one).

We're at about 3 weeks since our surge began. So if we follow that trend, we have perhaps 4 more weeks until cases decline again. And if we're optimistic, maybe our higher vaccination rate will shorten that up.

carolina_yankee

To clarify, I may be British, but I live in the US, and I know that you have nothing here resembling an official church (not that the Church of England has anything like the influence that Christianity does on this side of the pond). The only thing that confused me was the suggestion that churches in the US could get in (legal) trouble for encouraging their parishioners to get vaccinated. The point has since been clarified.
I didn’t realize you lived in the US! Our rules on political speech are still
confusing for darn near everybody. we need a Mom.

I’m an Episcopal priest (sister church to CofE, for others) so I’m used to not having any influence. We’re still reasonably well vaccinated though, and stay on the right side (left side?) of the IRS. 😄

James J

In good news: the UK cases seem to have peaked nearly a week ago and are plummeting downwards, about 2 months after the uptick began. Similarly, in the less-vaccinated India, cases started to drop a little under 2 months after their surge began (though their new baseline is 2-3x higher than the old one).

We're at about 3 weeks since our surge began. So if we follow that trend, we have perhaps 4 more weeks until cases decline again. And if we're optimistic, maybe our higher vaccination rate will shorten that up.

It is good news in the UK, though I would say watch this space. Restrictions were only lifted a week ago, so next Friday will be the point at which we can see if the dropping of social distancing measures has had an impact and causes the cases to fly up again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom