Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabreezept813

While we have always taken the virus seriously and followed all rules, I think bringing masks back will hurt more than help. The point of taking the vaccine is to protect you from serious illness and allow life to return to normalcy. Kids 6 months and up will likely have access to the vaccine this fall. Anyone else who doesn’t vax maybe we need to make that choice miserable.. denying people access to parks, transportation, etc. increasing health insurance premiums to an ungodly amount, and when all else fails how about an unvaxed tax.. they can pay for the thousands of dollars of damage they will cause (which obviously won’t address psychological or emotional damage).

hopemax

Agree we need to wait for data. I will say that if it turns out that boosters are needed after six months it makes the vaccination effort completely ineffective. There is no way to produce and administer enough doses fast enough worldwide to ever get near herd immunity.

Hopefully it's just an overreaction to one flawed study.
Nonsense. We were hoping for a vaccine that would decrease severe consequences by at least 50%. We got one that still is about 90% at doing that. Even the Israel study.

Along the way, people got greedy and now declare the only successful vaccine is one that prevents infection entirely, for life. That part is unlikely, especially given the adaptation of the virus. But guess what, if this is down to the point when neutralizing antibodies drop off, and immune response becomes dependent on T-cells, the same will be true for natural immunity. There will be a point where that happens for those people too. They’ve always said it’s unrealistic for the NAbs to stick around forever. Are people going to go on about how natural immunity is a failure too?

T-cell function diminishes with age and conditions which is why they’ve always cautioned this subgroup could need boosters. We are trying to refine a proper dosing regime, just like any other type of medication. I guess no one has ever had their medication adjusted over time. Everyone just stops taking it entirely. Failed. Or did you all expect we were going to get it 100% perfect, the first time out, novel virus...

The rest of us are still likely to take the path of relying on the rest of our immune system doing its job even if we technically get infected.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
In a presser this morning, Mayor Demings notes that there are nearly 1000 new cases daily in Orange County. Demings also says "We’re now in crisis mode".

As of Saturday, the current 14-day rolling positivity rate for Orange County is 13.96%.

Residents vaccinated for ages 12+ in OC is 61.59% (the site is not allowing uploads at the moment).

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Dr. Herrera from Advent Health says we approaching an all-time high in terms of their in-patient number of COVID-19 cases and it is stretching their capacity. Advent Health is moving to level Red (this puts non-urgent procedures on hold), but they stand ready and are prepared.

He also says over 90% of patients in the hospital with COVID-19 did not get a vaccine.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Dr. Pino says our numbers last week are similar to the numbers back in January. Dr. Pino says of the 1031 cases reported on Friday, none were vaccinated. Of the numbers on Saturday and Sunday, 99%+ were unvaccinated.

Dr. Pino also notes that so far, this July has been the lowest number of deaths so far.

Trauma

Dr. Pino says our numbers last week are similar to the numbers back in January. Dr. Pino says of the 1031 cases reported on Friday, none were vaccinated. Of the numbers on Saturday and Sunday, 99%+ were unvaccinated.

Dr. Pino also notes that so far, this July has been the lowest number of deaths so far.
Ok so great news!

So far in Florida it looks like the vaccine is incredibly effective.

Death rate so far is not following case numbers.

Yes I know there is a delay between cases and deaths.

We will see but Florida will tell us a lot of what to expect since they have it the worst.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The thing about the UK that really gives me some
hope is the number of deaths.

The cases skyrocket but the deaths did not.

I understand that deaths lag cases so I’m still waiting to see what happens.

Im very hopeful that since our vaccination rates are higher at the older end of the spectrum we will see something similar.

Delta is more contagious, I’ve seen nothing that suggests it’s measurably more deadly.

I still think we are going to be fine.

The people I really fear for are the elderly who refused vaccination I hope they have a change of heart.
80% of 65+ nationally doesn‘t look too bad, but it’s alarming to look at the 65+ rate in the bottom few states. Alabama and Arkansas for example are below 70% of 65+ fully vaccinated and if you look at a map of cases they are at the epicenter of this outbreak. Hopefully high risk people there alter their behavior and take additional precautions while this surge happens.

Despite the debate back and forth on efficacy of the vaccine against mild infections there are no indications anywhere that the vaccines aren‘t highly effective at preventing death and/or hospitalization and we are seeing that play out in the numbers in the UK and here in the US. In select hotspots in the US hospitals are being stressed to some extent but nothing like what we saw in January. In areas with a high vaccination rate the Covid ward of hospitals is mostly empty. That’s great news and the power of these vaccines. That’s why the administration and public health officials are calling this wave a crisis or pandemic for the unvaccinated.

Fauci did say the CDC is considering the possibility for boosters especially for high risk people including the elderly. It’s an evolving situation and they are gathering all available data before making a formal recommendation. What people need to remember is that these vaccines are a miracle and they work exceptionally well and should the need arise for a 3rd shot we have the manufacturing and distribution set up to easily roll out a booster.

Trauma

So reverse it, then.

In any case, would you not agree that together, in concert, they offer better protection than just one or the other? The entire point?
It’s even safer if we don’t drive at all.

Maybe we can look into limiting how much everyone can drive each month?

Disstevefan1

80% of 65+ nationally doesn‘t look too bad, but it’s alarming to look at the 65+ rate in the bottom few states. Alabama and Arkansas for example are below 70% of 65+ fully vaccinated and if you look at a map of cases they are at the epicenter of this outbreak. Hopefully high risk people there alter their behavior and take additional precautions while this surge happens.

Despite the debate back and forth on efficacy of the vaccine against mild infections there are no indications anywhere that the vaccines aren‘t highly effective at preventing death and/or hospitalization and we are seeing that play out in the numbers in the UK and here in the US. In select hotspots in the US hospitals are being stressed to some extent but nothing like what we saw in January. In areas with a high vaccination rate the Covid ward of hospitals is mostly empty. That’s great news and the power of these vaccines. That’s why the administration and public health officials are calling this wave a crisis or pandemic for the unvaccinated.

Fauci did say the CDC is considering the possibility for boosters especially for high risk people including the elderly. It’s an evolving situation and they are gathering all available data before making a formal recommendation. What people need to remember is that these vaccines are a miracle and they work exceptionally well and should the need arise for a 3rd shot we have the manufacturing and distribution set up to easily roll out a booster.

As it applies to a WDW vacation I don't think there are many 65+ folks from Alabama and Arkansas planning a WDW vacation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Another example where the breakthrough cases don’t seem to be happening at an alarming rate. Maybe people just aren’t getting tested, percent positive over 10 implies not enough testing to catch all community spread, but overall it seems like this is a surge almost exclusively among unvaccinated people.

Touchdown

Attention all freedom lovers! Here comes the start of employer mandated vaccines. I expect this to spread quickly, it’s in a company’s best interest to prevent 2 week absences from staff. It will only accelerate once the FDA grants full approval.

DisneyDebRob

The standard spelling outside the US and Canada is the one you attempted. I’m surprised it’s disallowed given that the site owner is British.
Thank you. You know when I posted that I did my regular..” not checking correct spelling” as I’ve seen it before like that. Glad I wasn’t crazy. After being told very nicely about it here from a poster, I realized that maybe I should have gone with the other spelling of it but I was sure I’ve seen it that way.

Trauma

Attention all freedom lovers! Here comes the start of employer mandated vaccines. I expect this to spread quickly, it’s in a company’s best interest to prevent 2 week absences from staff. It will only accelerate once the FDA grants full approval.

If I have to wear a mask in a place of business they should be forced to require vaccination for employees.

If I have to do “everything I can” to protect them, they sure as heck better be doing the same.

Trauma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom