Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Ok, so let’s keep examining what happened in China in 2019 and conspiracy theories instead of doing what’s right in stemming things NOW. I don’t believe in multitasking. Should things be investigated? Yes. But we have people (yes on one side) who spent much of last year pointing fingers at China, while calling distancing and masks ridiculous. Same breath. And from one side.

What do I gain from continuing to point out what has been and is being done in countries around the world, is because I am offended that the narrative is being rewritten. Left and right in any number of countries responded with very clear and defined practices. That’s my argument. This “let’s all get along, both sides are culpable” is crap.
If at some point you don’t declare a cease fire the war never ends.

Christi22222

Is it not extremely selective of you to isolate "accountability" to this single subject? Where is your concern for accountability on countless other variants of bad behavior in our world that cause death and extreme psychological trauma??

How are you able to move forward?
How have you deduced that I isolate accountability to this single subject? This is the subject we are discussing. And your obtuse comments that you continue to toss out belie your lack of an actual defense in this "argument." Without having read all 3884 pages of posts, I can only deduce you are trolling or pot stirring.

Heppenheimer

The "long term consideration" is a VERY common theme originating with the anti-vaxx movement many, many years ago. mRNA vaccines have been in development for decades.

ETA: To clarify...the only reason we've never had an mRNA vaccine approved before is because there weren't enough people getting sick at the same time to perform trials. COVID provided enough patients for trials to occur.
To clarify further, an mRNA ebola vaccine trial has been going on for over a decade. We know the vaccine is safe, but it hasn't been released yet because there hasn't been a major ebola outbreak to test it against.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
China is culpable. And any American refusing the vaccine at this point is trusting their body's natural ability to fight off a virus that escaped from a Communist country lab vs. an American-made vaccine using the most innovative vaccine technology ever made.
I don’t care what the justification is, but if we’re going to use scare tactics to reach target populaces of the world, I’m 1000% behind this. Tin foil is the new black, especially in these times where once hidden newsgroups and ham radio discussions have gone mainstream.

ImperfectPixie

I voted for the guy and I'm fully vaccinated. 2 shots of moderna to be exact.
Most of my cousins and extended family have cut ties with me because we're vaccinated and I was trying to provide them with facts about the vaccines and COVID.

They buy the misinformation hook, line and sinker.

The two things they all share in common are voting habits and FOX.

ETA: I should clarify that we're talking 3 generations of extended family, across very varied income and lifestyle brackets.

LittleBuford

China is culpable. And any American refusing the vaccine at this point is trusting their body's natural ability to fight off a virus that escaped from a Communist country lab vs. taking an American-made vaccine using the most innovative vaccine technology ever made.
I won’t address the rest of your post, but please note that the Pfizer vaccine was developed in Germany and the J&J vaccine in the Netherlands. Nationalism is not going to get us out of this mess; the world needs to work together.

RWilliams

Premium Member
I sympathize. But you're really making a personal choice here for your kids and your family (which is what you are supposed to do IMO). You could have looked at the data and information available and went the completely opposite direction, as I did, and decided that it was okay your my under 12s to resume their normal activities. I understand why your risk assessments is the opposite of mine, but they are both personal assessments of the situation and risk involved.
My kids will be going to school and they do participate in some activities but they are some of the only kids who wear masks. And I know statistically almost 50% of their unmasked classmates families are not vaccinated. I guess like so many people I've just had it. I want our normal life back. This isn't directed at you but I spent the last year hearing anti maskers yell, "This is America, I'm free to go about as I please without a mask and if you don't like it you can stay home!" and now here we go again anti vaxxers saying, "It's my choice to be vaccinated or not and if you don't like it you can stay home!" I'm sorry I'm just so frustrated and soooo tired. I would love to just say forget it let the anti vaxxers deal with the consequences but as a parent of young kids in an area with high community transmission I just can't.

ImperfectPixie

My kids will be going to school and they do participate in some activities but they are some of the only kids who wear masks. And I know statistically almost 50% of their unmasked classmates families are not vaccinated. I guess like so many people I've just had it. I want our normal life back. This isn't directed at you but I spent the last year hearing anti maskers yell, "This is America, I'm free to go about as I please without a mask and if you don't like it you can stay home!" and now here we go again anti vaxxers saying, "It's my choice to be vaccinated or not and if you don't like it you can stay home!" I'm sorry I'm just so frustrated and soooo tired. I would love to just say forget it let the anti vaxxers deal with the consequences but as a parent of young kids in an area with high community transmission I just can't.
Same. My son attends extended school year every summer, and I have yet to see another kid under 12 masking up.

ETA: Our transmission levels are low, but rising...quickly.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I am sorry you feel that way. I hate to say it, but I am thinking we are not going to get to the vaccination rates in this country as we would like. I would like to see more efforts but I am unsure what that is going to do at this point. Honestly, as I said previously, maybe the increases we are seeing now will be a wakeup call for some. I also believe you are overestimating the risk to your children, but as their parent, you have absolute right to do what you think it best...and take action as you see fit.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Yeah.

If we just stopped talking about them for one week.

Just post numbers and move on.

Complete ignore.

Their rage may burn out they may look around and see their dead friends and start to think.

Stop blaming stop talking about everything. Let them do what they want to do.

Let them know it’s their choice and we support them.

A new conspiracy theory will form to replace the current ones.

Maybe they will think we want them to die to win future elections, and it will spur them to get vaccinated en mass.

I know it sounds nuts.

I’m just desperate for anything to work.
I’ll buy you a scotch and we can dish in person. Whenever that day comes. But I just can’t multitask on this issue. Though I do agree with a lot of what you’re saying here.

lazyboy97o

But, we do know, because we've understood the process of how cells transcribe proteins for decades. And we also know that mRNA gets used once, then is immediately degraded into its constiuents parts. The unique sequence that encodes the spike protein ceases to exist after one use. There's nothing any more special about these strands of mRNA than the trillions of others that get transcribed, encoded and degraded daily in the cells of every living organism.
Hypothetically, if some mRNA somehow did hide away for a few years, could it degrade in a manner where it could still be transcribed into something else? Could that new protein be dangerous?

RobbinsDad

I won’t address the rest of your post, but please note that the Pfizer vaccine was developed in Germany and the J&J vaccine in the Netherlands. Nationalism is not going to get us out of this mess; the world needs to work together.
OK sure whatever. Point taken. But it is Americans who are chiefly screwing this up. 99% of the rest of the world would kill for the ability to walk into any drugstore and get stuck.

Virtual Toad

My two children are in the same boat. They are fully vaccinated— they got their first shots literally two hours after it was approved for 12 to 15 year olds. Because they wanted to get on with their lives and get back to school. But now they will return masked this fall (and they know they will be in the minority) because many if not a majority of their classmates did not get vaccinated when they had the chance. We too are so sick and tired of trying to do the right thing while a critical mass of individuals is deliberately trying to dig in their heels to keep us all from moving forward.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
How have you deduced that I isolate accountability to this single subject? This is the subject we are discussing. And your obtuse comments that you continue to toss out belie your lack of an actual defense in this "argument." Without having read all 3884 pages of posts, I can only deduce you are trolling or pot stirring.
You are a grown adult on an unofficial Disney fan forum rattling your saber about your personal perceived level of high ground(accountability), in comparison to others who you have never met.

I do not know you personally but I would bet dollars to donuts that you are not participating in any other online forums (Or in person), discussing accountability of the many people in this world who are responsible for tragedies that cause violence and death far more extreme than this virus could ever produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom