Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyThomas

All well and good, but there is still the freedom not to and we have to live within those bounds. I doubt very much forced injections against peoples will are somethings many would look favorably upon, but conversely the consequences of not getting the jab are the responsibility of that person.
Exactly. Like this:

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. Like this:

From what the article said she was actively spreading some pretty major misinformation, too.

runnsally

The problem is that so many of "that person" causes major issues for EVERYONE with full ICUs, hospital staff being overloaded/becoming burnt out, etc. etc.
…opportunities for the virus to mutate in a way that decreases immunity, increased risk for those unable to be vaccinated, etc….Covid is a Public Health concern first and foremost.

Last edited:

Heelz2315

Wonder if Disney will make an announcement? IE we have no plans to re implement restrictions at this time or if things got x levels we will?

something

DisneyCane

Exactly. Like this:

Anybody in health care that doesn't get the vaccine is not very smart. They are going to have the most exposure to SARS-CoV-2 and the exposure will be from sick people with the highest viral loads.

The fact that a nurse would be spreading that kind of misinformation that isn't based in any facts is very disappointing. I feel bad for her family but she made a terrible decision to not be vaccinated.

DisneyCane

Wonder if Disney will make an announcement? IE we have no plans to re implement restrictions at this time or if things got x levels we will?

something
I don't know why they would make an announcement like that. If something changed and they were going to bring back restrictions they can just announce it the day before and offer refunds if people don't want to go with restrictions in place.

I don't see why they would reinstitute restrictions unless the vaccines were rendered ineffective by a variant. Part of the reason for their restrictions after they were no longer required by government mandate was to make people feel safe so they would fill to capacity. There doesn't seem to be a significant number of people staying away at this point.

As long as the CDC continues to say that fully vaccinated people are considered safe, I don't foresee Disney changing anything. If you (not specifically you) don't feel like they have enough measures in place to feel safe you can add your own measures like wearing an N95 mask in the parks.

Disney Glimpses

Frankly, the announcement from the county Mayor today is meaningless as far as Disney is concerned. Whether you agree with it or not, the credentials to make such a recommendation are simply absent here. Disney isn't going to comment or modify their policy whatsoever based on this; which is consistent with their lack of a response regarding Disneyland when its county made the same recommendation.

mmascari

It’s rare that people my age die of covid as well. So which one am I supposed to be paranoid of?

This is EXACTLY why people are wanting to wait to get the vaccine. Blood clots, nerve issues, heart isssues.... quite a few possible side effects they didn’t discover during the rushed oops I mean “expedited” testing.
The word “rare” is covering a lot of ground here.

Compared to many, I'm rich. Compared to many Jeff Bezos is rich. The distance between me and him is so immense that I have less than nothing.

In your comparison, “rare” is covering that distance and saying they’re the same.

The vaccine risk is so many orders of magnitude more rare than the COVID risk, that it might as well not exist.

At this point because we’re not vaccinating enough fast enough, if you’re not vaccinated you will get COVID. Almost definitely. That’s the risk comparison. Will your personal COVID experience when it comes be worse than the vaccine experience. The numbers say COVID will be Bezos worse compared to the vaccine.

DisneyCane

Dr. Pino notes in the news conference that 100% of the 406 new cases reported yesterday and the 8 new deaths were unvaccinated.
Then it makes perfect sense to ask vaccinated people to start wearing masks again. They are clearly a very high percentage of the people spreading the virus based on this data.

Disney Glimpses

Compared to many, I'm rich. Compared to many Jeff Bezos is rich. The distance between me and him is so immense that I have less than nothing.

In your comparison, “rare” is covering that distance and saying they’re the same.

The vaccine risk is so many orders of magnitude more rare than the COVID risk, that it might as well not exist.

At this point because we’re not vaccinating enough fast enough, if you’re not vaccinated you will get COVID. Almost definitely. That’s the risk comparison. Will your personal COVID experience when it comes be worse than the vaccine experience. The numbers say COVID will be Bezos worse compared to the vaccine.
Not to go down this rabbit hole again, but even if you are right (which you most likely are), that doesn't prove vaccination to be absolutely imperative for every person. Sure, your finances may be 0 compared to Jeff Bezos, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to pay your mortgage next month.

However, if you're arguing for helping people understand the low risk to help them feel comfortable enough to get vaccinated and contribute to community immunity, then that is different and understandable.

mmascari

but even if you are right (which you most likely are)
I’m pretty sure my worth is a rounding error compared to Bezos. I haven’t seen his bank statements, but I’ve seen mine. 😉

However, if you're arguing for helping people understand the low risk to help them feel comfortable enough to get vaccinated and contribute to community immunity, then that is different and understandable.
Yes, it’s understanding what they’re comparing. When the news reports “x is rare” and “y is rare”, that doesn’t mean x and y are the same. The vaccine risks are many orders of magnitude smaller than the other risks. Thinking of them as the same is the same precision lost in the 100 buckets of a percentage with no decimal points.

In the US
33,000,000+ COVID cases
600,000+ deaths

160,000,000 vaccinated people.
Have we seen 2,909,090 vaccine deaths to make them an equivalent risk?

People need to learn digits matter. And two rare things are not always the same.

Got my J&J, no regrets even with the new reporting. Everyone should get vaccinated as soon as they can. The unvaccinated should avoid other unvaccinated people.

TrainsOfDisney

I wasn’t trying to do that.

But your numbers don’t perfectly match what I was saying. Of the 600,000 deaths... how many were under 40?

Of the 33m - how many under 40 required hospitalization?

I’m sure the numbers still support that “rare” is even more rare in those taking vaccines. But I would think they get a bit closer together.

Last edited:

Polkadotdress

Woah! This is the best explanation about vaccine risk I’ve seen yet!

seascape

The number of new Covid19 case in certain States, Florida included, is extreme concerning. While it is true that vaccinated people are probably safe, the truth is not everyone vaccinated is. To ensure you are safe, an antibody test sound be done. I know I had antibodies in January. My wife is having an antibody test in August to see her level of protection prior to our September trip. Based on the increasing number of cases people should be careful. Don't cancel your trip because of these increases but make sure you are safe.

ImperfectPixie

The number of new Covid19 case in certain States, Florida included, is extreme concerning. While it is true that vaccinated people are probably safe, the truth is not everyone vaccinated is. To ensure you are safe, an antibody test sound be done. I know I had antibodies in January. My wife is having an antibody test in August to see her level of protection prior to our September trip. Based on the increasing number of cases people should be careful. Don't cancel your trip because of these increases but make sure you are safe.

For anyone planning to visit WDW with unvaccinated kids, the numbers are concerning. Over 23,000 new cases in Florida over the last week.

new cases.jpg

For further info - there's a county-by-county map with daily new case numbers here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom