Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the NTSB has jurisdiction over anything. As far as I know, they can just make recommendations to other agencies and those agencies have to turn the recommendation into policy. That's definitely how it works for air transportation.
NTSB is more of an after the fact investigation into incidents and accidents. The FTA under the DOT does have the authority to set safety protocols for public mass transit systems like buses, subways and rail. If there was any question as to whether they had the authority I’m sure Governor “no restrictions” would be challenging that in FL. The fact that he hasn’t said boo about it should be about all the proof needed that it’s perfectly legal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's funny how quick we are brigning back things that beg for the spread of every other virus. Free samples!! Lol just kidding.

I keep thinking about that scene from Parks and Rec where Andy puts his entire mouth around the spout of a water fountain.
I just hope hand washing continues to be a “thing to do”. It always disgusted me how many people I’d see use a public restroom and walk straight out the door without washing their hands. I am hoping the silver lining from this crazy and tragic pandemic is people are more aware of personal hygiene.

mmascari

Following up with a second report after a couple of more visits to the Walmart in a red area of FL that never had a mask mandate. I've now been there 4 times since Walmart changed the policy to only unvaccinated have to wear masks. On every visit I have seen noticeably higher mask wearing by customers and proper mask wearing by employees since the policy change than before the policy change.

I don't really have an explanation but it is possible that when given the option of vaccination or mask that people who are not fully vaccinated are more likely to comply than when it was a mandate from Walmart with only one option.

I'm not saying it is a fact that people who weren't masking before the policy change are doing so now but it is possible. All I have are pre and post observations in this area and it is noticeable.
Before the change, not wearing a mask was a defiance of the rules, a statement that you didn't think COVID/Mask/Rules/Whatever were important. A clear an obvious statement about someone's thoughts.

After the change, it's more complicated. If you're not wearing a mask, maybe that's the same message or maybe it's a statement that you're vaccinated. Wearing a mask could be seen as a statement that you're not vaccinated. Since, after all, why else would you be wearing a mask, it's not like anyone prefers to wear one for comfort. So, if someone has been going around for months projecting that they're not getting vaccinated for whatever reasons. They might wear a mask now where they did not before to continue projecting that message.

So, these are all people with convictions and they want you to continue to know that they don't like the vaccine. :)

Recently I was out in Big Sky Country and the Mid West and observed quite the opposite. My trip began before the policy changes at the major retailers. Before the change all of the employees at various stores were wearing masks and the overwhelming majority of customers. After the change, almost no employees were wearing masks and maybe 20% of customers. The fully vaccinated rate is certainly not 80% anywhere, let alone where I was.
Using the same logic, these are all people who just dislike masks and don't care about any other message being projected. :cool:

mikejs78

Premium Member
For customers? What business (outside of Universities which mostly aren't businesses in that sense) that is not a healthcare provider requires proof of vaccinations or disclosure of any health information in order to get service?
Airlines for international travel.

Also I said it isn't *illegal*. There's no provision in federal law or HIPAA (I am somewhat of an expert on HIPAA) that says you can't be asked about your health or provide documentation about your health. In fact supreme court precident in recent years basically says businesses can use almost whatever criteria they want (with a few exceptions that fall into civil rights territory) to determine who to serve and who not to serve. You're also free to only frequent businesses that don't require proof of vaccination.

Also, take customers out of it. Many, many businesses have required proof of vaccination to work. That is also now illegal in this case.

Weather_Lady

So what would that look like? No masks at all or only while riding attractions?
They're reporting that masks will be "optional" everywhere at Universal, indoors and outdoors, including on attractions. (This was variously reported on some sites as "optional for the fully vaccinated," although there are no plans to inquire about guests' vaccination status or to attempt to enforce mask-wearing on and after May 29, so there will be no way to tell whether unmasked guests are fully vaccinated, or simply unvaxed-and-untruthful.)

Another source claims to have confirmed the truth of this policy change directly with Universal, but I can't link to that one here.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So what would that look like? No masks at all or only while riding attractions?
The rumor is no masks anywhere but only for fully vaccinated people. Unvaccinated still need to wear a mask indoors but Universal is not asking for proof of vaccination, it’s the honor system. Staff still need to wear masks when around guests, but backstage fully vaccinated don‘t need a mask.

I assume the biggest rub will be kids under 12. It’s obvious that a 4 year old is unvaccinated but will there be any effort to enforce the indoor mask rule on them?

Patcheslee

The rumor is no masks anywhere but only for fully vaccinated people. Unvaccinated still need to wear a mask indoors but Universal is not asking for proof of vaccination, it’s the honor system. Staff still need to wear masks when around guests, but backstage fully vaccinated don‘t need a mask.

I assume the biggest rub will be kids under 12. It’s obvious that a 4 year old is unvaccinated but will there be any effort to enforce the indoor mask rule on them?
I guess they need to decide if the possible confrontation with parents if worth the PR nightmare that would insue. Sure it's going to be obvious, but kicking a family out or telling them to put a mask on poor Suzy obviously isn't going to go over that well.

Jrb1979

Canada now has a framework for reopening the border. Those unvaccinated will still be required to quarantine.
Here’s a key nugget in the report: travellers that can show proof of vaccination should be allowed to skip the pre-departure test, quarantine requirement or day seven test, the panel says. ". I would imagine when it does reopen that will be in place for awhile.

sullyinMT

Because of that second paragraph (With which I agree), why not just wait until OCFL hits phase 3? All indications from recent testing results show that update is coming soon. Then Uni (or whomever) has public policy “cover” of the state and county to just drop masks altogether should they choose.

mickeymiss

I just hope hand washing continues to be a “thing to do”. It always disgusted me how many people I’d see use a public restroom and walk straight out the door without washing their hands. I am hoping the silver lining from this crazy and tragic pandemic is people are more aware of personal hygiene.
We returned from disney a week ago and it was a noticeable lacking of using the sanitizer after rides. I'm talking practically no one. Everyone was using it when we went last summer. I've always been an advocate of general common courtesy which doesn't have to involve sanitizer but at least covering your mouth with your elbow when coughing and staying home when you have a contagious illness. I get that it's more up to me to wash my hands but golly gee it's easy to do!!!! 🤣😓

disneygeek90

Uhhh yeah the honor system for guests is not gonna work, it'll just be no masks. Compliance is already much lower at Universal than at Disney overall.

DisneyCane

Also, take customers out of it. Many, many businesses have required proof of vaccination to work. That is also now illegal in this case.
I could be wrong and would have to consult the law passed that goes into effect 7/1 but the executive order didn't restrict anything with respect to employees, only customers.

DisneyCane

We returned from disney a week ago and it was a noticeable lacking of using the sanitizer after rides. I'm talking practically no one. Everyone was using it when we went last summer. I've always been an advocate of general common courtesy which doesn't have to involve sanitizer but at least covering your mouth with your elbow when coughing and staying home when you have a contagious illness. I get that it's more up to me to wash my hands but golly gee it's easy to do!!!! 🤣😓
I wish people would use hand sanitizer BEFORE getting on a ride. Afterwards is just for your own benefit. As a germaphobe, the first thing I always did pre-COVID when I got off of a ride was to immediately apply hand sanitizer.

DisneyCane

Because of that second paragraph (With which I agree), why not just wait until OCFL hits phase 3? All indications from recent testing results show that update is coming soon. Then Uni (or whomever) has public policy “cover” of the state and county to just drop masks altogether should they choose.
OCFL phase 3 doesn't really exist anymore so why wait for it? If they are doing it based on CDC guidelines they can do it now just like all of the national retailers.

I haven't been to UO in years but I assume they still sell on-ride photos. I would think that the sale of those (both at Universal and Disney) would be higher if people aren't wearing masks so there is probably a business reason to do it sooner rather than later. I'm guessing the surveys done haven't indicated that they will have trouble drawing crowds if they drop the requirement.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I could be wrong and would have to consult the law passed that goes into effect 7/1 but the executive order didn't restrict anything with respect to employees, only customers.
The law restricts employers (I've read it). They can ask if you are vaccinated but they can't require proof. Which is a huge problem in healthcare settings especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom