Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's what Chapek said on the earnings call as far as the CDC guidance today -

"In terms of the parks, and when we're going to sort of be able to raise our capacity limits, we've actually already started that, given the guidance that just came today, from the CDC, and earlier guidance that we got from the governor of Florida, we've already started to increase our capacities, those obviously today's guidance that we got from the CDC in terms of those that were vaccinated do not necessarily need to wear masks anymore, both outdoors and indoors. Is very big news for us, particularly if anybody's been in Florida in the middle of the summer with a mask on. That could be quite daunting. So we think that's going to make for an even more pleasant experience and we believe that as we're now bringing back a lot of people back to work, that it's going to be an even bigger catalyst for growth in attendance, and we've been quite pleased to date."

ParentsOf4

Vaccinated people don't have to wear masks. That's all they said.
Not exactly.

What they said was:

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:​
  • You can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
Places like WDW can do whatever they feel most appropriate (& Mayor Demings' goals).

disneygeek90

(As someone who is vaccinated; as is Mrs Willmark; kids will be shortly)

Why do I care if someone is unvaccinated now? I’m not getting Covid nor can I pass it along to anyone so that’s on the person who’s unvaccinated, not me.

And no, I’m not looking for someone to post some link to an edge case. It’s highly unlikely as I’m getting Covid post vaccination, it’s as highly unlikely as I’m winning the lottery tomorrow.

Point being if someone chooses to remain unvaccinated that’s their problem, not mine.
I'm not doubting you, but 8 MLB players/coaches/staff just tested positive with the same team over the last few days. All were fully vaccinated. Maybe we blame it on them getting J&J lol

dreday3

Not exactly.

What they said was:

• You can resume activities without wearing a mask or staying 6 feet apart, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance.
Places like WDW can do whatever they feel most appropriate.

Pretty sure I said something to that effect in the following posts, and most of the posts I made about this subject today. But the spirit is the same - vaccinated people don't need masks to protect themselves from covid at this point.

(yes, yes the risk is still there, but very small)

plawren2

Why do I care if someone is unvaccinated now? I’m not getting Covid nor can I pass it along to anyone so that’s on the person who’s unvaccinated, not me.

And no, I’m not looking for someone to post some link to an edge case. It’s highly unlikely as I’m getting Covid post vaccination, it’s as highly unlikely as I’m winning the lottery tomorrow.

Point being if someone chooses to remain unvaccinated that’s their problem, not mine.
It is actually a problem for those who can't get vaccinated and children under 12 at risk who also currently can not be vaccinated. People choosing to remain unvaccinated are creating a public health risk to others in our society

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Darn it. I hope by end of this month or next month that NJ will may follow CDC guidelines soon by they will lose masks soon by a few months (late July/August or September).

plawren2

That's actually why we chose to go to the northeast over California this year. A hour and half flight vs a five hour flight.

I really feel for the people going international. Especially since vaccinated or not, they need a negative covid test to fly back. I'd guess that it's a stressful vacation component, not something I want for a relaxing getaway. So, no international travel for a bit... unless it's a cruise and even then, I'll wait a bit.
No sure so sure requiring masks for plane travel with US is really going to present a problem, in fact domestic plane travel has been on on rise for months, including requirement to wear masks, seems like people who what to travel via plane within US have no problem wearing a mask even for 5 hr trip from east to west coast.

bryanfze55

No sure so sure requiring masks for plane travel with US is really going to present a problem, in fact domestic plane travel has been on on rise for months, including requirement to wear masks, seems like people who what to travel via plane within US have no problem wearing a mask even for 5 hr trip from east to west coast.
Sure, but why should 2-year-olds have to mask on a plane?

lazyboy97o

Would being treated in a hallway because a hospital is full of COVID patients be your problem? Not being able to visit a friend or family in the hospital because it is dealing with too many cases? Higher premiums? Higher taxes?

Chi84

Premium Member
Here's what Chapek said on the earnings call as far as the CDC guidance today -
today's guidance that we got from the CDC in terms of those that were vaccinated do not necessarily need to wear masks anymore, both outdoors and indoors. Is very big news for us, particularly if anybody's been in Florida in the middle of the summer with a mask on. That could be quite daunting. So we think that's going to make for an even more pleasant experience
This would be a very, very odd thing to say if WDW was committed to masks for the rest of the year or until 2023 or forever, or whatever else people were predicting.

bryanfze55

Would being treated in a hallway because a hospital is full of COVID patients be your problem? Not being able to visit a friend or family in the hospital because it is dealing with too many cases? Higher premiums? Higher taxes?
I can only imagine what it’s like partying with you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This would be a very, very odd thing to say if WDW was committed to masks for the rest of the year or until 2023 or forever, or whatever else people were predicting.
The doom and gloom crowd today:
22F5EDF5-019F-400C-BDAB-9429A0A99599.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think with todays CDC announcement and with what Chapek is saying, the plan has now shifted to remove masks before the end of the year.
He specifically said the guidance is big news for them and then referenced how uncomfortable a mask is in FL in the Summer and said that it will make for a more pleasant experience now. So unless he was talking about Summer 2022 I think it’s safe to assume he expects masks outdoors to be dropped this Summer at WDW.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Not exactly.

What they said was:

Places like WDW can do whatever they feel most appropriate based on what Mayor Demings advises.
Well said - this is INDEED the problem: No Nationally Accepted Mechanism to verify vaccination. No FEDERAL level laws. And this is indeed a dumpster fire :(. A Nation that could do a moon shot a good 50 years ago, with junk computers, lacks the ability to verify vaccination. I personally find this to be pathetic. No "mandate" required.... just give people the ability to OPT IN to a recognized National System - and let our Businesses do the rest. Until this happens? Be sure to buy a clear neck lanyard for that CDC card - it's all we've got :(.

These "statements" will remain "feel good" statements, until a business can visually verify and MEASURE true vaccination. Today? All we have is our CDC cards on a lanyard :(. If you can't verify it and measure it? You can't Manage it. Pretty much Business 1A.

With no practical verification mechanism? Any business must assume that everyone is lying - and default to "wear a mask" out of liability concerns. We do not live in NY State - but so far? It's the only state intelligent enough to GET this. They have done far better than the National Government.

Sorry for the rant ... it's an easy problem to correct, and our Government has chosen to run away and hide from it :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom