Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Great! Hopefully the masks will be gone by the time the Eagles start.. I’m sick of masks after 10 days in Disney and im not going anywhere again until I can have mine off.
Masks may be gone by July here. For the state it’s when we hit 70% vaccinated but Philly is allowed to have their own rules which could keep them a little longer. More importantly the June 11 lifting of the capacity limits for major sporting events also lifts all restrictions on tailgates :)

sullyinMT

Masks work fine; the problem is with mask mandates. They generally can't be enforced in the places where COVID is most likely to be transmitted. We have a mask mandate at our local arboretum - you would have to work pretty hard to get COVID from passing someone on a trail. Same with stores - people are not likely to be in contact with any one person long enough to get infected.

I wish the CDC and other health agencies would better explain the numbers and percentages they are using and put them into proper context. As is, a lot of people are left underestimating the effectiveness of the vaccine, overestimating the effectiveness of certain mitigation measures, and misunderstanding their likelihood of getting infected as well as the circumstances under which infection is more probable.
None of this is unreasonable. Nuance, unfortunately, creates the circulation of memes questioning distancing on a terminal before boarding a plane and getting us nowhere. Such is our bed.

sullyinMT

Pop some popcorn because it’s coming soon 😎 🍿

Where I live in PA they are dropping the indoor mask mandate when 70% of adults are vaccinated. Should be sometime in 4-6 weeks at most. I imagine other NE states like NY/NJ/MA will follow the same pattern. CA has already said they are dropping all Covid restrictions by mid-June if things continue to look good. Once those major population centers start dropping restrictions it will be harder and harder for national chain stores and national attractions like WDW to keep them. If we hit 70% of adults vaccinated nationwide by July 4th (the target) I could see all Covid safety mandates relaxed shortly after. It’s going to be a wild ride :)
I just wish every population center would follow the same path, so that our “good enough” national baseline wasn’t an outbreak waiting to happen in pockets all over. Hope I’m wrong, but the pessimist is winning this internal battle.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s great news! Will they have some type of mask policing (god I hate even using that term)? Otherwise, I could see it going down the path of nibbling the nachos and nursing the Heineken for a few hours. Good news is that with almost 2/3 of all eligible Pennsylvanians vaccinated and 12-15 coming online in time for next month’s relaxation, you guys are actually in a place to make this type of move a reasonable one and it (vigilant indoor masking) may not matter as much as it does today.
I don’t know how the policing will work but so far with limited capacity there have been no issues. In general masks are pretty well accepted around here so most people know what they need to do and accept it. The Sixers are close to locking up the 1 seed and having a full arena is key for home court advantage so it will be a hot ticket to get for sure. For what the playoff tickets cost nobody is going to risk getting booted out for non-compliance of a mask rule ;)

mmascari

No, that's not the direction I want to go. Being able to work from home a day or two a week is fine, but you really loose a lot of the spontaneous collaboration you get when you are in the office together.
You learn how to do that when remote too.

Like anything else, it's a learned skill. One that people need to embrace or it doesn't work. So, in that circumstance, it takes a team effort and culture to make it work. If the culture actively resists, then it doesn't work.

(Says the guy who's been remote for most of the last 20 years. I'm assuming these are all office type pushing bits jobs. If you're working on creative stuff with story boards, physical models, or lots of outside the digital world things, it will vary obviously.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I just wish every population center would follow the same path, so that our “good enough” national baseline wasn’t an outbreak waiting to happen in pockets all over. Hope I’m wrong, but the pessimist is winning this internal battle.
I don’t disagree. I think a national vaccine target would have been the way to go but at a minimum do that locally. I know for me personally I would feel much better in an arena full of people without a mask in a city that has 70%+ vaccinated than I would in a smaller setting somewhere with less than 50% vaccinated.

Trauma

So I have been lurking in this thread from the beginning, and have stayed out of it since I’m not a fan of the way people get ridiculed for every single thought they have.

I do have a question that I would like to submit.

If you are 100% vaccinated as I am, why would you feel the need to wear a mask.

I’m not talking about policy, I understand why we need the mask mandate since you don’t know who is vaccinated.

I’m talking about if you are in a situation where a mask is not required , let’s say in an outdoor shopping mall.

This way of thinking seems like no matter what improves the goalposts will just be moved.
What is it going to take?

This is why we need 46 to step up and set a target. Even if the states don’t have to follow it.

Otherwise we will have vaccinated people living scared of something that they statistically will not catch and most certainly will not die from.

If you are vaccinated go live your life.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For those still interested in WDW....EPCOT Forever music was testing overnight. Seems like we are inching closer to the return of nighttime shows and all signs point to EPCOT being first back. Disney has their earnings call Thursday so will be interesting to see what (if anything) Chappie has to say about the Summer ramp up at the parks. It’s possible OC Florida hits 50% and enters phase 2 by the time of the earnings call. Gives us something else to talk about.

the only thing anyone seems to care about now from the “fandom” is fireworks, fastpass (hopefully not the horrid) and no masks.

just sift through the comments. Expectations are where I usually put them

mmascari

Where I live in PA they are dropping the indoor mask mandate when 70% of adults are vaccinated.

If we hit 70% of adults vaccinated nationwide by July 4th (the target) I could see all Covid safety mandates relaxed shortly after.
Any idea how we're counting all the 12-17 people being vaccinated? The new ones coming and the existing 16-17 year old already.

This is why I dislike the "of adults" and the "of vaccine eligible" and prefer the "of population" metric.

When we look the first dose metrics today, the 16-17 mixed in account for how much of the value? I'm guessing not much, but some.
Starting next week, when we hear "record breaking week with 3M doses every day", how many of those advance the "of adults"? All of them, even though they're not adults? None of them and then the rate we get to the target is harder to measure? Are we going to start to see 2 numbers reported? Are we juicing the numerator?

Oh how I wish they had just gone with an "of population" metric. Even if the value was lower.

PS: See how I slipped some positive in there. Must be rubbing off......

ImperfectPixie

So I have been lurking in this thread from the beginning, and have stayed out of it since I’m not a fan of the way people get ridiculed for every single thought they have.

I do have a question that I would like to submit.

If you are 100% vaccinated as I am, why would you feel the need to wear a mask.

I’m not talking about policy, I understand why we need the mask mandate since you don’t know who is vaccinated.

I’m talking about if you are in a situation where a mask is not required , let’s say in an outdoor shopping mall.

This way of thinking seems like no matter what improves the goalposts will just be moved.
What is it going to take?

This is why we need 46 to step up and set a target. Even if the states don’t have to follow it.

Otherwise we will have vaccinated people living scared of something that they statistically will not catch and most certainly will not die from.

If you are vaccinated go live your life.
I'm getting my 2nd shot tomorrow. We have a "masks outside when 6' distance cannot be maintained" mandate in place right now.

Even after I'm fully protected and if the mandate wasn't in place, I'll still wear a mask around others outdoors in public...because they have no way of knowing whether I'm vaccinated or just an anti-masker. I rather be extra courteous than worry about a few minutes of comfort.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pop some popcorn because it’s coming soon 😎 🍿

Where I live in PA they are dropping the indoor mask mandate when 70% of adults are vaccinated. Should be sometime in 4-6 weeks at most. I imagine other NE states like NY/NJ/MA will follow the same pattern. CA has already said they are dropping all Covid restrictions by mid-June if things continue to look good. Once those major population centers start dropping restrictions it will be harder and harder for national chain stores and national attractions like WDW to keep them. If we hit 70% of adults vaccinated nationwide by July 4th (the target) I could see all Covid safety mandates relaxed shortly after. It’s going to be a wild ride :)

that will work well for the playoff hockey and basketball in Philly...

wait...turns out they got some time on that ☹️

Wolfie is allowing 50% in the old paint bucket for game 2...However 🐧

ParentsOf4

I'm not gonna link to anything here, because it's not appropriate, but google NYC Crime. I live about 20 minutes from Manhattan, I wouldn't go to a Broadway show if the tickets were free and you paid for my Uber. And my wife and I used to go semi-often. A couple times a year at least to a show, much more then that just to the city to hang out and spend a night. Zero chance of that now or anytime soon.
High crime in big cities.

Gas shortages.

Inflation ticking up.

A shrinking military presence.

An expanding Federal government.

A Democratic President, House, and Senate.

Violence in the Middle East.

Trouble with Russia.

All we need is Disco and it’s a return to the late 1970s!

ABQ

High crime in big cities.

Gas shortages.

Inflation ticking up.

A shrinking military presence.

An expanding Federal government.

A Democratic President, House, and Senate.

Violence in the Middle East.

Trouble with Russia.

All we need is Disco and it’s a return to the late 1970s!
I'd welcome the chance to see John Bonham perform in person, but no, you can keep your Studio 54 disco styles to yourself.

Trauma

I'm getting my 2nd shot tomorrow. We have a "masks outside when 6' distance cannot be maintained" mandate in place right now.

Even after I'm fully protected and if the mandate wasn't in place, I'll still wear a mask around others outdoors in public...because they have no way of knowing whether I'm vaccinated or just an anti-masker. I rather be extra courteous than worry about a few minutes of comfort.
That wasn’t my question. I have read some posts here where people say they would wear a mask because community spread is not low enough even in situations where it’s not required.

If you are fully vaccinated and still worried about covid effecting you personally I don’t think you will feel safe for a long long time.

That’s fine with me it’s a personal decision, I just hope it doesn’t delay the return to normal for people who “ follow the science “ and understand it is safe to live life once vaccinated.

ImperfectPixie

That wasn’t my question. I have read some posts here where people say they would wear a mask because community spread is not low enough even in situations where it’s not required.

If you are fully vaccinated and still worried about covid effecting you personally I don’t think you will feel safe for a long long time.

That’s fine with me it’s a personal decision, I just hope it doesn’t delay the return to normal for people who “ follow the science “ and understand it is safe to live life once vaccinated.
To clarify, I DO think some areas are jumping the gun with getting rid of mandates...especially in places where vaccination rates are low. Dropping mandates before reaching a certain level of vaccination gives people an excuse to not get vaccinated, when we need every medically-able person to get their jabs.

Trauma

To clarify, I DO think some areas are jumping the gun with getting rid of mandates...especially in places where vaccination rates are low. Dropping mandates before reaching a certain level of vaccination gives people an excuse to not get vaccinated, when we need every medically-able person to get their jabs.
So you think the people who could give a crap about the mandates to begin with, are suddenly going to get magically motivated to get vaccinated, so the mandates they don’t follow get dropped ?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Huh? Fully vaccinated AND with less than 1% (closer to .1%) of cases coming from outdoor settings, and you would still choose to wear a mask outdoors in order to make people feel better and not be judged? Your choice but I would say, let them judge and when they question you, tell them, "I am vaccinated! Once you get vaccinated you don't have to wear a mask either! Be like me. Now git her done!!"

bryanfze55

Still 6 feet? Didn’t the CDC update to say there is no difference between 3 and 6 feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom