Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParentsOf4

We are restriction free down here in Alabama and have the lowest vaccination rate in the country 🤷🏼‍♀️
Strange thing is, Alabama also has the lowest COVID rate in the entire country!

At other times, Alabama has had the highest COVID rate in the country. At one point, California was leading the nation in the COVID infection rate, despite its restrictions. Now, California has the second-lowest rate in the country.

Since the start of the pandemic, tiny Rhode Island has had an infection rate that matches sparsely populated North Dakota. These two states took nearly opposite approaches to COVID prevention.

There's something random about the spread COVID that no one has been able to solve.

1620567272602.png

Polkadotdress

But I can’t play the “oh poor me” card. I don’t live my life that way and I don’t want anyone else to think they’re doing me a favor because you aren’t. Your outlook on life is something you control. You can choose to have a good day or a bad day. You can also choose to live in the moment because tomorrow isn’t guaranteed.
I am not someone who plays the "woe is me card", despite me previous post. I am just so DARN tired of the dismissiveness of people who are in a rush to drop the protective requirements, which then places me and others like me in a 2nd class category where it just seems as if we are LESS IMPORTANT than those who want to "live their lives to the fullest."

I work. I am out and about. I shop. I've traveled. I am doing my best to be cautious. But I need as many people to get vaccinated for my own personal safety.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I had covid last year in May. It was basically the flu for me and my fiancee. Terribly sad for those who were drastically affected by Covid. I've gotten my 2 shots to keep everyone safe, especially my 72 year old dad. Because obviously it is fatal. But... Like. It is the "old people disease" in my opinion. Just looking at death counts. A lot of what you mention is just the typical inconvenience of getting sick.

(I also apologize in advance for those who read my post you quoted before I edited it. That was idiotic of me to type.)
But death isn’t the only negative outcome that far exceeds the flu. From the article I attached talking about younger patients that were hospitalized:

But De La Zerda said even if they are less likely to die from the disease than those older than 65, the recovery can take three to four months before the younger patients even start to feel better, and then they still have lasting effects. “We have a bunch of post-COVID patients and they’re young but their lungs look like a pulmonary fibrosis,” De La Zerda said. “We have to start looking at transplants.”

How common is that with the flu?

Angel Ariel

I had covid last year in May. It was basically the flu for me and my fiancee. Terribly sad for those who were drastically affected by Covid. I've gotten my 2 shots to keep everyone safe, especially my 72 year old dad. Because obviously it is fatal. But... Like. It is the "old people disease" in my opinion. Just looking at death counts. A lot of what you mention is just the typical inconvenience of getting sick.

(I also apologize in advance for those who read my post you quoted before I edited it. That was idiotic of me to type.)
A friend of mine in her 30s broke a couple of ribs because of the coughing from her bout with Covid. Another friend in her 30s has been dealing with long Covid symptoms for months. These were healthy people, no underlying preexisting conditions. Those aren’t just typical inconvenience s of being sick.

Angel Ariel

I am not someone who plays the "woe is me card", despite me previous post. I am just so DARN tired of the dismissiveness of people who are in a rush to drop the protective requirements, which then places me and others like me in a 2nd class category where it just seems as if we are LESS IMPORTANT than those who want to "live their lives to the fullest."

I work. I am out and about. I shop. I've traveled. I am doing my best to be cautious. But I need as many people to get vaccinated for my own personal safety.
Amen to that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Two more graphs from the CDC showing why many think of this as an "old person's disease."

My state (Georgia) is having a great deal of difficulty convincing young people to get vaccinated.

View attachment 555914

And:

View attachment 555917
I think we need a better advertising push. Death is not the only negative outcome. Even getting sick with asymptomatic Covid means you quarantine for at least a week. During that time you, as a young healthy person, still have to quarantine and so miss out on a week’s worth of pay. Maybe you have Braves tickets for a game that week, you miss the game. Maybe your friend has an epic party on Friday night, but you aren’t there because you are home quarantining. Maybe you have a trip to WDW planned. Do you want to risk missing that because you are home quarantining?

The point is we have to appeal to young people on their level. There are less serious negative impacts than death that can and will happen. We need to make it so the vaccine is an easy choice over that stuff. A lot of that seem trivial compared to death and lung transplants and being in the ICU but that may actually hit home more.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
But death isn’t the only negative outcome that far exceeds the flu. From the article I attached talking about younger patients that were hospitalized:

But De La Zerda said even if they are less likely to die from the disease than those older than 65, the recovery can take three to four months before the younger patients even start to feel better, and then they still have lasting effects. “We have a bunch of post-COVID patients and they’re young but their lungs look like a pulmonary fibrosis,” De La Zerda said. “We have to start looking at transplants.”

How common is that with the flu?
How common is that with COVID?

Patcheslee

Here's the whole problem with just assuming "old person disease": it can mutate to effect a different age severely. It's not a new idea, look at 2008/09? flu season that was dangerous for children. There's over 200 variants of Covid right now, 5 of concern to the CDC, 4 of interest to the CDC. BUT until there is an actual problem i.e. young adults or children dying or being hospitalized at a higher rate, they just don't know which variant can cause this. Vaccines are the proactive step to spread. Watch, report, and adjust when something becomes of interest or concern is reactive.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Strange thing is, Alabama also has the lowest COVID rate in the entire country!

At other times, Alabama has had the highest COVID rate in the country. At one point, California was leading the nation in the COVID infection rate, despite its restrictions. Now, California has the second-lowest rate in the country.

Since the start of the pandemic, tiny Rhode Island has had an infection rate that matches sparsely populated North Dakota. These two states took nearly opposite approaches to COVID prevention.

There's something random about the spread COVID that no one has been able to solve.

View attachment 555908

I am hoping someone tackles this mystery at some point. I would be interesting to do a deep analysis on the course of the pandemic from state to state to try to understand why it played out the way it did.

Jrb1979

The article is a few weeks old but it shows why the old person disease mindset is not true. The young may not be dying but it's not good when they are the ones filling ICUs.

The good news is here in Canada there doesn't seem to be as much hesitancy in people under 40

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am hoping someone tackles this mystery at some point. I would be interesting to do a deep analysis on the course of the pandemic from state to state to try to understand why it played out the way it did.
What’s the percent positive been? Is it just less testing resulting in less confirmed cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom